Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #376
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,936
Interesting, Mark. Reminds me of an article I read about Chip Ganassi's wind tunnel. It is literally an abandoned highway tunnel, in PA I think. Here it is.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #377
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I'm no expert, but I've always heard that the big problem with wind tunnels is removing the boundary effects of walls, fans, turbulence, etc. and that is the reason you often see very long straight-line undisturbed approaches and exits from the testing area of a tunnel which results in a long/linear tunnel. This Ferrari design isn't very linear so I wonder if perhaps that is one of their challenges.

- Mark
They should bring the cars to Laurel Hill.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/nascar/the-secrets-of-laurel-hill/

Well crap!!!!! 205'd by the search. and work.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #378
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
They should bring the cars to Laurel Hill.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/nascar/the-secrets-of-laurel-hill/

Well crap!!!!! 205'd by the search. and work.
LOL

I have to say.. running a car down a mile long tunnel seems very NASCAR -esque to me... not sure you'd be able to detect the nuance of forces necessary in F1 but.. *shrug*

I had a friend who worked at the wind tunnel at U of Maryland. He mentioned their biggest issue (at U-Md) was they didn't have a moving floor. You prefer the floor to move so the wheels roll and everything is as it should be on the road.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #379
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
pit stop times....
maybe more telling than fast laps
Kimi didn't come in until lap 38, so he must have qualified and started on the medium compound tires!? This would explain how he could go so far on the first set, how he could set fast lap so late, and why he didn't qualify any higher. I did not see the race, is this in fact what hapened? I just can't imagine going 38 laps on the super soft tires with a full fuel load when Vettel could only go 7 laps and Alonso 9? I was thinking before the race, when I heard about the super softs, that this would be the optimum plan, except for qualifying.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #380
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Kimi didn't come in until lap 38, so he must have qualified and started on the medium compound tires!? This would explain how he could go so far on the first set, how he could set fast lap so late, and why he didn't qualify any higher. I did not see the race, is this in fact what hapened? I just can't imagine going 38 laps on the super soft tires with a full fuel load when Vettel could only go 7 laps and Alonso 9? I was thinking before the race, when I heard about the super softs, that this would be the optimum plan, except for qualifying.
no.....

he came in on lap 9 and then on lap 34

synopsis courtesy of octane photos

Quote:
He Clearly Knows What’s He Doing Down In Melbourne
What a way for the 2013 Formula One season to start, as Kimi Raikkonen became the first Lotus driver since Mario Andretti in 1978 to win the opening race of the Championship. It was a an action-packed affair from the very start, as Sauber’s Nico Hulkenberg’s stricken C32 had a major fuel issue, which saw the car with the engine off the back end in the pit box. The team, on the grounds of safety, retired the car, leaving his teammate Gutierrez to keep the honour high for the Hinwil squad.
Webber’s poor starting once again plagued the local driver, who had his Red Bull RB9 pointing towards Vettel on the front row, but this gave both Massa and Alonso a glimmer of hope, as cars were almost four-abreast going into Turn 1, but all got through with no first corner incidents. The Australian then had to keep his cool and look to a new strategy, finding himself behind Massa, Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel and Rosberg.
Button was the first driver that pitted out of the entire field, as the graining was hugely apparent even after 3 times laps in qualifying, changing to the medium tyre, with Webber also following suit. Looked like more pit stops were on the cards thanks to the hard working guys and girls at Pirelli. Vettel came in on Lap 8, as the clear air he put between himself and his rivals helped to keep tyre wear at bay for slightly longer.
Then the top drivers started making their moves, as Massa jumped into the box, as Alonso rolled the dice first before Kimi was right on his tail for a pit stop challenge between Maranello and Enstone, which was pretty much a draw, as there was nothing between them. Both of the Mercedes stayed out until laps 13 and 14, where Sutil found himself at the front of the field in his first race back in F1. He stayed out for a further 6 laps, even with being able to lap slightly quicker than Vettel, meaning that the returning German was in with a possible points, or even podium finish.
Sutil pitted on Lap 20, with Vettel also doing so, and Force India got their driver out in front, but Adrian was caught napping by Alonso going through Turn 1, before Sebastian did the same at the swimming pool complex shortly after. Maldonado beached his FW35 in the green-sprayed gravel at turn one, having clearly touched the grass, which did not do the Venezuelan any favours what so ever for a good start.
Felipe then had his chance at the lead, with Rob Smedley saying to his driver: “Let’s see what you can do now you’ve got an open track.” But then we had another casualty, as Maldonado touched the grass on the left going into Turn 1, spoiling the handiwork of those employed to spray the gravel traps in the colours of the Rolex signage dominating the track.
On Lap 29, Kimi had made his way stealthily towards to front of the grid, ahead of Lewis and Nico, who suddenly slowed, and was forced to park his W04 on the left hand side of the track at the swimming pool area, with a possible electrical fire stopping the German’s race abruptly, handing third place to Fernando. Dark clouds started to appear around Turn 16, as light showers were expected via the pitlane radar, with all drivers told to stay out. Lewis and Fernando battled it out for several laps, with both drivers respecting each other, but wheel-to-wheel action being welcomed for all to see.
The 2008 champion decided to not give up his position easily, and ended up flat spotting his front tyres, forcing him to pit, and slowing them both in the process. Kimi and Sebastian sped away as a result of this, with Vettel just over two seconds behind Fernando after the “Iceman’ dove into the pits on lap 33, handing the Spaniard the lead for a short time. JEV had made his way up to seventh for Toro Rosso, with Ricciardo on level pegging, but the Australian ended up with a very sickly-sounding car. A few laps later saw the STR driver park his car in the garage, retiring from a promising start to his 2013 season.
Vettel had been struggling for pace overall, with Marussia rookie Jules Bianchi lapping within a tenth of a second during the race, but was pushing hard to catch up to Alonso, as the laps counted down. But he pushed too hard at points, after suffering several lock ups, taking too much out of the tyres, whereas Kimi was keeping his gap to Fernando at around 7 seconds, with the 2005 and 2006 champion unsure as to stay happy with second, or go for the win. Massa kept station in a very lonely fourth, and rounded off his weekend on a very credible finish.
Lewis and Sutil had a brief battle on track, with the latter losing out to his former best friend, with Webber capitalizing on the Force India driver after their tete-a-tete in the latter stages ending up in 6th.
So it ended up with Enstone taking top honours with the “Iceman” making it count in Melbourne, with Fernando second for a very improved Ferrari squad and Sebastian rounding the herd, as we roll onto the Asian continent, where the Sepang International Circuit sets the scene for the second race of the season, where the weather could again spring a change in proceedings….
LINK

g容g screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 01:42 PM
Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #381
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Sauber fuel problem
collapsed fuel cell caused by excess vacuum

LINK

Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #382
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

some post race analysis

LINK

Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #383
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

another interesting piece from the BCC...
taking pit stops out of the equation

LINK

Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #384
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,318
Quote:
another interesting piece from the BCC...
taking pit stops out of the equation

LINK

Waste of time. Once you start eliminating portions of the race it relly becomes meaningless. He eliminated the last two laps, weren't those two of Kimi's fastest?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #385
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Waste of time. Once you start eliminating portions of the race it relly becomes meaningless. He eliminated the last two laps, weren't those two of Kimi's fastest?
yup it was really a bizarre bit of "what if"...

Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #386
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
yup it was really a bizarre bit of "what if"...
Yeah, I don't get it. If they want to figure out who actually won the race, then watch the actual race.

Malaysia intrigues me. I half suspect that Vettel will get away unmolested and the Red Bull will do its run-and-hide strategy. Like Jenn, I'd love to see a different outcome.

If the Lotus was also easy on its tires last season, how many times did it take fewer pit stops in a race?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #387
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post

If the Lotus was also easy on its tires last season, how many times did it take fewer pit stops in a race?
I can't recall them doing less pit stops... but getting old, memory going...
I do recall seeing Big John eating people up at Montreal towards the end of the race (credited towards having plenty of tire life). But other than that????

Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #388
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 498
This may be covered someplace in the 26 pages but maybe one of you know instantly because Google can't seem to help me.

Where can I watch 2013 F1 races and qualifying streaming online but not live? As in I'm either riding when the races are on or sleeping so I can go riding...

Any help?

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #389
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
This may be covered someplace in the 26 pages but maybe one of you know instantly because Google can't seem to help me.

Where can I watch 2013 F1 races and qualifying streaming online but not live? As in I'm either riding when the races are on or sleeping so I can go riding...

Any help?

JIMMY
For some reason your "issues" simply add to the level of awe I hold you in. If only I could have your problems with watching the races!!!!

Actually, it may not be awe but rather a level of jealousy bordering upon dislike...

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #390
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post

Any help?

JIMMY
Very tricky. Not sure that it can be done. You have two choices, it seems to me.

1/ Figure out a way to record a live stream, including a way to click on a stream and make sure that it works, and find new streams if it doesn't. All without you being there. That sounds almost impossible to me.

2/ Find a website which has links to rights-owning television stations which are running a repeat of the race.

I can show you where to find live streams. But that's about it. Maybe there are torrents of recorded races, but that's getting into a piracy area that I avoid.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan