Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #2131
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneC View Post
Hey John,

Just want you to know that I still check your report every day and as many have mentioned, really appreciate you sharing your journey with us. I've learned a lot on many levels.

All the best,
Gene
Hi Gene,

So glad you are following along! I too have learned much by reading ride reports. Glad you are enjoying it. The commenters on this ride report offer a lot of good advice and insight. I would highly recommend a live ride report if and when you take off for a long ride. Its a lot of work, but well worth the effort. I have met some great folks who have PMed me along the road. Many have donated gas money to keep this ride going into the Spring. It will be over soon, and I will be home reading ride reports just like you and getting more ideas and inspiration from those on the roads less traveled.

Saludos,
Juan Viajero
Old 03-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #2132
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Some people are different stages in life at different times. Albeit I don't have a family, kids, etc, I do have a dog and house. I was also in my 20's when I decided to rent it out for 6 months and leave.

It's slow going, but I am attempting to raise enough funds to go again in the next year or two for 6-8 months. I got the bright idea to buy another dirt bike this week though. haha. Those can be sold with only depreciation and maintenance in mind though.

John, I'd like to hear more about leaving a bike down there. Everything I've read has a lot of red tape with leaving anything in a country past a certain time (depending on country).

Eager ears await.
Hi Shibby!,

I haven't had much luck finding somewhere to park my bike for a few months until I can earn some money and get back down here. I am confident that something will work out. In my case the FrankenSherpa isn't worth shipping home. At the same time it runs great and is down here. I don't want to sell it. I would rather fly home and return next fall to continue south.

I'll let you know what I find out and how it works out. And yes, it is illegal to leave your bike in Colombia for more than your three month permit. Others have done it. I will follow their lead and report back when I get back down here.

If you don't mind riding to Uruguay, you can leave your bike there for a year. But the flights to South America
from the U.S. are cheapest going to Colombia. For instance, my dear sister, who is my travel agent, found a flight for 264 bucks on Spirit Airlines from Bogota to Mesa Arizona where her hacienda is. I will take that route home. I am driving her old truck back to Nebraska from Arizona.

Next fall I intend to return on a cheap flight to Bogota and continue on. I can always park my bike at Motolombia in Cali for 30 bucks a month and catch a bus to Bogota. Not the end of the world.

Buenos Noches,
Juan Parqueadero

JDowns screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 06:01 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #2133
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,381
If you don't have the time all you have to do is think JET SET and like John says
less than $300 will have you experiencing culture shock in no time.
If you like riding motorcycles and have a couple of grand and two weeks vacation you can really make it count.
When you get older and get married you will have a wealth of experience to pull from and share with your kids.
If you can take six months out of a 30 year span in your life it will make all the difference in who you are.
JDowns and this ride report is such a valuable resource and inspiration, and that's what ADV is all about. Yes, we have fun and poke each other, but in the end we are a resource and inspiration.
Thanks goodness for Baldy and his willingness to host this site.
If you do NOTHING else at least subscribe to SMUGMUG and help to be a little part of this wonderous online community many call HOME.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #2134
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi ONandOFF,

I can only speak for myself, but I am at home wherever the people are friendly, warm and accepting of me. Right now that is Medellin. Soon it will be back in Bassett, Nebraska. And later this summer it will be Oregon. And then again when I save some money it will be South America once again. Hopefully by next fall.

At the same time I am a stranger in a strange land wherever I go. I don't personally find comfort in groups. I like traveling solo through life and on the road. Stopping wherever feels nice. And blowing through areas that aren't. I don't mind riding with others for a day or so. But being able to go wherever you want is a freedom I enjoy as well.

But here's the thing. Everyone is different. I know I am. For me at least, I do agree that there is a balance. I like traveling. And I like coming back to by current home in Nebraska. It is the people that make the difference. Which may be why I like hanging out with other inmates on ADVrider. I have more affinity with fellow travelers on ADVrider than I do with normal people.

And with today's technology, I like hanging out in the evening with folks like you and others who comment on this ride report. We are much more connected than when I first started vagabonding around the world so many decades ago. Back then I had no contact with anyone from home. Other than sending back an occasional postcard from Nepal to let people know I was still alive. Now, I can update this ride report often and anyone I know can check out what's going on in my life.

Saludos,
Juanito
Dear John,

This is why your ride report has been my favorite of all time. Not only has the content been top notch, but so is your philosophy. I may be half your age, but I definitely resonate with a lot of what you have to say and I really enjoy and value hearing it. It's honestly been an honor to be able to read your words and share your experiences.

I understand your value of work. While I've worked retail most of my life, I've had the odd jobs where I have done work where I find a lot of value in what I'm doing. It's not so much the work that's important, but the product is what is the most valuable. I'm glad you've been able to express yourself that way down south with the work offered to you. I'm hoping to get involved with WWOOFing while I'm traveling through SA so that I can take breaks and find that same kind of satisfaction.

Thanks again man.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #2135
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Dear John,

This is why your ride report has been my favorite of all time. Not only has the content been top notch, but so is your philosophy. I may be half your age, but I definitely resonate with a lot of what you have to say and I really enjoy and value hearing it. It's honestly been an honor to be able to read your words and share your experiences.

I understand your value of work. While I've worked retail most of my life, I've had the odd jobs where I have done work where I find a lot of value in what I'm doing. It's not so much the work that's important, but the product is what is the most valuable. I'm glad you've been able to express yourself that way down south with the work offered to you. I'm hoping to get involved with WWOOFing while I'm traveling through SA so that I can take breaks and find that same kind of satisfaction.

Thanks again man.
Hi Clem Kevin,

Funny you should mention WWOOFing ( willing workers on organic farms).

I met a French couple in Panama on the island of Carti who were heading down to Colombia from a WWOOFing job in Mexico planting coffee to do similar work in the hills of Colombia and Ecuador. Really nice folks.

I spent time in New Zealand years ago on the WWOOFing trail. Of course they found out I was a contractor and had me remodel their kitchen instead of weeding their organic garden, but it's a great way to take a break from travel and lower your overhead with free room and board. Similar to what I'm doing here in Medellin, now that I think about it.

Plus you meet a lot of really good folks when you do those kinds of work exchanges. Between that and couchsurfing and the tentspace list on ADVrider, you can meet some really fine people. I highly recommend it. Although I haven't personally tried couchsurfing yet.

Saludos,
Juan Lobo WWOOF
Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #2136
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
If you don't have the time all you have to do is think JET SET and like John says
less than $300 will have you experiencing culture shock in no time.
If you like riding motorcycles and have a couple of grand and two weeks vacation you can really make it count.
When you get older and get married you will have a wealth of experience to pull from and share with your kids.
If you can take six months out of a 30 year span in your life it will make all the difference in who you are.
JDowns and this ride report is such a valuable resource and inspiration, and that's what ADV is all about. Yes, we have fun and poke each other, but in the end we are a resource and inspiration.
Thanks goodness for Baldy and his willingness to host this site.
If you do NOTHING else at least subscribe to SMUGMUG and help to be a little part of this wonderous online community many call HOME.
Hi Tuckers,

I agree wholeheartedly. Although I like to take the trip of a lifetime a little more often now that I'm older and have less obligations holding me back . Like every year or two. When you're young and free or when you're old and have more time like me it makes sense to get on your bike and go. It's not easy, and most people will try to discourage you. Don't listen to them. It's a hoot. As anyone who has followed this ride report must know by now, I have had the best ride of my life and met some GREAT folks and been able to ride some epic roads. And I'm just getting started in South America. This continent is HUGE. It might take me a while to wander around down here. Of course I'll have to go back to the States and reload my bank account. But this ride report is far from over. I intend to ride the wheels off that Sherpa.

Well okay, I already rode one wheel off and that didn't stop me. I think the engine has to blow before I go to plan B. The Sherpa is a trooper. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

And yes, get a smugmug account or donate to ADVrider. I have donated 10% of everything donated to me. Although that has dropped to nothing this month.

Saludos,
Juan Sherpa
Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #2137
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:

She got a kick out of the pic you took of her two years ago back when her hair was short, and I emailed it to her.

Saludos,
Juanito
wow, she looks totally different with hair!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #2138
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
wow, she looks totally different with hair!
Hi Vin,

Yes, Yudy looks totally different from the picture Throttlemeister posted from a couple years ago. Still sharp and beautiful as ever.

I was helping Yudy translate Spanish tool names into English this morning. Box wrench, crescent wrench, open end wrench, ratchet, sockets. It was something she was working on for Al. She drew pictures and I wrote down the names in English. She's a sharp cookie. Al knows how to hire good people. It's not an easy skill. I admire anyone who can make a living in the third world.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #2139
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 854
I highly suggest couch surfing. Although if you begin to use it, I suggest using it just to meet people local to you first at some holiday functions or something. Being a stranger and requesting a couch might not get a lot of positive responses, having some references from people does a lot of good.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #2140
Ross1969
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
John, Thanks for a great ongoing ride report. I have a long time pen pal lady friend whom I have never met who lives in Medellin. Your photo's and descriptions have encouraged me to think about a trip to the US to include a flight down to Colombia to visit her. As a couchsurfing host I am surprised that you are not a member! You and others may also find www.bikswop.org of interest. I have some ridge tiles on the roof of my house that need re-pointing - trouble is I am in the UK!

Regards

JimR
Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #2141
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Hi John,

I know you've spent time before in the Latin American countries, but I was wondering how your spanish has improved by total immersion for an extended period. I can speak a little spanish, but like many Americans, my spanish is like baby talk...

Me gusta su ride report mucho!

Regards,
Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #2142
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Hi ONandOFF,

I can only speak for myself, but I am at home wherever the people are friendly, warm and accepting of me. Right now that is Medellin. Soon it will be back in Bassett, Nebraska. And later this summer it will be Oregon. ....

Saludos,
Juanito
Juanito,

Maybe you have plans all ready, but if you need a place to stay in OR, don't hesitate to contact me (gresham, outside of Portland).
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #2143
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross1969 View Post
... You and others may also find www.bikswop.org of interest. ...
Hi Jim. There must be something in the spelling of that link. I'm getting "www.bikswop.org no ha sido encontrado."

Ahhhh..... you must mean http://bikeswap.org/ ?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #2144
Ross1969
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
@OnandOff,

Sorry, - yes you are right www.bikeswap.org was my intended target.

In the UK we "swop" stuff not swap, hence my Senior Moment!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #2145
beerguy
adrenaline junky

Oddometer: 30
work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Dear John,

Thanks again man.

J.R.R. Tolkien from Silmarillion:

But the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making,
and in the thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery;
wherefore he gives and hoards not, and is free from care,
passing ever on to some new work.

i think about this on every new woodworking project, but it seems to fit your trip. John.
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote