ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Schlug OP
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,180
Coming to Death Valley, Monument Valley: need some trip planning advice

I'll be heading from Windsor, Ontario to Death Valley in a couple weeks. I was planning on making the ADV rallye there on the 28th, but work isn't cooperating and I am just now having a set of Yamaha YZ forks to the Dakar and the Ohlins rear shock just shiipped today and won't arrive until the end of this week. I need to do a few things to the bike (new bars, handguards, tires etc) and be able to shake it down a few times before I ride 2400 miles in 4 days.

I should be near Monument Valley on the 2nd or 3rd, and Death Valley shorly the next day.

First, am I out of my head trying to ride that part of the country in the middle of winter? I am pretty sure I can get out of town and get myself south, and I plan on dropping through Missouri and down to Amarillo (friends) and then through New Mexico up to Monument Valley. From there up to Death Valley.

Having never been there, can anyone help me with places to stay, maps or resources I could download? I'll be on a BMW Dakar with TKCs and hard luggage. I should have a good suspension but that bike doesn't carry too much fuel. Should I carry my extra one gallon fuel can I bought in Newfoundland?

I will be loaded for camping, what is the weather like in early April? I can hotel it if I must. If anyone local cares to meet up for a ride and show me the place that'd be great, otherwise I'll be solo. I've read a handlful of ride reports and the place looks pisser.

thanks
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote