Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #256
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
I made SteverStoves with a damn dislocated shoulder and fractured humerus. That was pretty fun.
Damn Shady hope your OK. What did you do drop a SStove on it

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #257
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Damn Shady hope your OK. What did you do drop a SStove on it
I went skiing like an idiot. Used to fall 500 times a day just like the Wide World of Sports intro, never bothered me a bit. Hit the ground once this time, ER. Shit.

Made 8 stoves last night, had to chase a Percoset with a beer after that.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #258
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Made 8 stoves last night, had to chase a Percoset with a beer after that.

Way to soldier on

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 03-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #259
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 510
Installed a new beer holder in the bike garage today

Untitled by boardrider247, on Flickr
Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #260
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,617
Thumb

Looks like you have room for a few more!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #261
Jimbozini
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 433
Unless it's a heavy stout...
$5 off on a Smugmug accout Use this coupon code: LlVtvdPX4gIjg
Jimbozini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #262
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
I ordered a bunch of stuff on my garage computer. A little scared, this will be my first jump into different kind of wrenching. I have done things like wiring and installing fender eliminators and new projector headlights and forward controls. This will be my first attempt at oil change, brake pads and replacing brake/clutch fluids. Just seems to make more economical sense having multiple bikes now.
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #263
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,126
Made a new door panel to put the vinyl back onto.

Hopefully the wrinkles come out.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #264
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonLewis View Post
I ordered a bunch of stuff on my garage computer. A little scared, this will be my first jump into different kind of wrenching. I have done things like wiring and installing fender eliminators and new projector headlights and forward controls. This will be my first attempt at oil change, brake pads and replacing brake/clutch fluids. Just seems to make more economical sense having multiple bikes now.
You'll be fine. Oil changes are easier than isntalling a fender eliminator. Do you have a workshop manual or other guide to use? If so, just follow it step by step carefully. I also find that STAYING ORGANIZED while working is a huge help. Get a clean rag, spread it out flat, and lay all your tools on it and then put them back in the same spot when you are done with it for the moment. Saves time not having to wonder where the hell you put that 5mm Allen T-handle

Brake work -- Clean EVERYTHING and clean it WELL. Don't leave out clips and springs even if they appear to be useless. They have a purpose or they wouldn't be there. Find the torque specs on the caliper/bracket mounting bolts and follow them as best you can. Most people have a tendancy to overtighten everything -- and most caliper fixing bolts and bracket bolts really don't have to be that tight. 20-30 lb/ft on average -- which is not a lot. Have some finesse!

Clutch and brake fluid -- easy on a motorcycle, since you can reach the levers while also working the bleed valve. Just get into a rythm: squeeze lever -- crack bleeder -- close bleeder -- release lever. Do this until you've run a half pint or so of fluid through the system and it's coming out as clean as it's going in. DON'T OVERTORQUE THE BLEED VALVES! They only need to be snug, and then a pinch more.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #265
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Clutch and brake fluid -- easy on a motorcycle, since you can reach the levers while also working the bleed valve. Just get into a rythm: squeeze lever -- crack bleeder -- close bleeder -- release lever. Do this until you've run a half pint or so of fluid through the system and it's coming out as clean as it's going in. DON'T OVERTORQUE THE BLEED VALVES! They only need to be snug, and then a pinch more.
I've watched a ton of videos, have the service manual for my b-king and vtx1800c. I got speed bleeder valves for both bikes which should make that even easier. Having a computer right in the garage will probably be the biggest help.

Hopefully if I get confident doing this eventually I'll work up the courage to pull the tank and do plugs and air filter
Old 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #266
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,302
Bluhduh

New tie rod and sway bar bushings on the truck. Then dropped it off at the dealer to have them do the rear axle seals and rear bearings. Damn skid plate bolts were rusted and i had to cut two of them off.

Next week it's bike maintenance to and adding some goodies to the ktm
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #267
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 430

Decided it's time to start the next project, not the car unfortunately...

I saved it from my parents garage but in doing so lost 1/2 of my garage space. So I've been meaning to build a single shelf over the hood to be able to put some storage bins/parts on.

I want it to be able to handle about 500 pounds, between cargo and me climbing on it to pull down stuff and get to the rafters where some stuff is already stored.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #268
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0 View Post

Decided it's time to start the next project, not the car unfortunately...

I saved it from my parents garage but in doing so lost 1/2 of my garage space. So I've been meaning to build a single shelf over the hood to be able to put some storage bins/parts on.

I want it to be able to handle about 500 pounds, between cargo and me climbing on it to pull down stuff and get to the rafters where some stuff is already stored.

Buy a metal shelf rack at Menard's, Lowe's or where ever, easy to move later and put to use elsewhere.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 03-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #269
ralphy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
With the ever-increasing electrical accessories I seem to carry around (and need charging) I decided to add a fuse block to my 650GS Twin.

After a bit of digging around I settled on this:

I liked the idea of an indicator if a fuse blows: on a previous car I’d fitted fuses that illuminated if they failed and that was a very useful function. So this one fitted the bill on that feature, plus it had a bus bar so only one feed needed and seemed reasonably compact.

When it arrived I set about choosing a suitable location: ideally ease to access and near the battery area. On the ease of access there is a suitable area under the seat and at the rear of the bike, but I didn’t fancy all the wiring running from there. However, I struggled to find anywhere that I did like nearer the battery and that would have a degree of protection from the elements. Finally, I hit on the idea of mounting it above the battery and found it would sit between the battery clamp and the air filter housing with just enough clearance from the top cover. Not ideal from an access POV as the cover is held down with six bolts, but the benefit of having it so close to the supply won the day.

But there was a slight problem: mounting it between the clamp and the filter cover seemed a bit precarious and ideally I wanted it to sit on top of the clamp only, but part of the underside of the tank cover fouled it:

So after a bit of head scratching I decided to do a bit of ‘modding’ to the underside of the cover:

This allowed me to move the fuse block onto the clamp (having cut a couple of bits off that too) and to secure it there, initially by double-sided tape.

The supply from the battery runs through an in-line fuse and then through a relay, which is powered by the spare connector (for GPS?) that’s on the same circuit as the fitted power outlet socket on the cover. The first to be wired into the fuse block was the Zumo cable and the second is the spot-lights, to come will be a Stebel horn and perhaps another pair of daylight-running lights.

This is how it looks in situ, just a bit more tidying up of the wires and that should be it. I used a bit of shrink-tube to cover over the exposed live terminal of the block and to the right you can see the relay and in-line fuse. In the under-seat storage box I’ve put a T25 Torx driver in order to remove the screws if needed out on the road – and some spare fuses.

Now, I'm no auto-electrician, so if anyone's got a suggestion on improving my work please let me know!

R
ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #270
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,183
^I'd say you did a very good job. It's challenging for me just finding a place to install anything electrical and have half a chance of making it look good as well as function. My efforts generally look, er, "complicated".

All I did was put a new tire on my bicycle, even though we had another snow/sleet/rain mess and more cold weather on the way.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote