Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #4141
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv View Post
As far as the wheatwacker mod, I split the difference between the black screw and the bend in the plastic fairing, used a straight edge to mark a line parallel with and below the bend, then used a single armed hack saw blade holder and a fine tooth blade. That way I ended up with a flat edge on each side of the cut to attach the wedges, 5/8"+. Just take your time and make sure you don't cut anything else inside the fairing. I held back slightly from cutting all the way to the headlight so there was enough plastic to act as the hinge point. I then used some heavy cardboard and clamps to play with the angle (I ended up sloped back somewhat from vertical), then traced the approximate cut edge outline onto the cardboard from the inside, added the flat edge width dimension to each side, cut the cardboard, then test clamped it to the fairing. Once I had it right, I used the cardboard as a template and cut out the thickest plastic I could find, from a marine battery box I picked up at Walmart (Canadian Tire probably has something similar). Clamp the plastic wedges to the fairing, drill the mounting holes, attach the bolts and nuts, and you're done. I used stainless bolts, washers and nuts with nylon inserts. edit to add: I just measured the inside split, 1 1/2" at the rear. The wedges include 5/8" strong on each side of the split, so 1 1/2" + 5/8" strong on each side, about 2 7/8" at the rear and 1 1/4" strong at the front for the angle that I like. YMMV.

The panel kit is pretty cool, it has a waterproof hinged cover and a powerlet plug that snaps/threads together on each side of a panel. I bought a multi sized cone drill bit, drilled the aluminum dash to the right size, attached the panel kit plug in on each side, ran the wires back to the battery next to the frame under the removed gas tank, done. I think I bought the longer wire kit so I could run to the dash, instead of under the seat or somewhere closer to the battery. There's not much room in the battery compartment for extra wires, I probably should have installed an accessory fuse block and ran the wires to that. The powerlet plug is a better more secure design than say a cig lighter plug, you can get pigtail adapters to split to a powerlet and a cig plug, or whatever else you need to run your music, etc.
Very helpful. I like this thread, people actually answer my questions!

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #4142
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
On occasion I see a nice sport bike for sale and get ready to pony up the cash and start thinking about how I would end up with a ledger full of tickets and/or a serious case of asphalt rash, or worse. Reason wins out and I stick with the KLR. Maybe a cruiser or a big cc adventure....
Another reason for the KLR was to help me cope with following cars driven by the dead on nice curvey backroads. It had been working up until this morning when I turned up the heat to get to work on time and got a quick reminder of how much I like being able to pass people. I seem to be much more tolerant when I can treat slow cars as obstacles to conquer. In fact I remember being happier when there were a few cars to navigate on my morning ride.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #4143
Farmer829
Green horn

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroken View Post
When I sat on a 2013 recently I didn't notice any difference in the upper cowling from my '08... except for the bold new graphics.
Good to know. I'll check out my local dealership next time I'm in town.
Farmer829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #4144
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Very helpful. I like this thread, people actually answer my questions!
Mel, FYI: I re-read a couple of the old wheatwacker threads, the discussed inside split measurements at the rear were 1 1/2" and 2" at that time. Hope this helps.

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #4145
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Mel, FYI: I re-read a couple of the old wheatwacker threads, the discussed inside split measurements at the rear were 1 1/2" and 2" at that time. Hope this helps.
I split mine too far, in my opinion, and it looks worse for it. I think mine is at 2.5" spread, maybe 3", at the rear. This left the windshield perpendicular to the ground, which would be fine, but the upper "frame" around the headlight is bent over pointing sort of toward the ground instead of being perpendicular. This could have been fixed had my cut been handled differently.

It doesn't look awful, just a little more "extreme" than most. It also possibly cuts down on wind against me a little bit more.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #4146
CURBCAST
curbcast

Oddometer: 26
10 Gallon IMS on 2006.

I think it looks good!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #4147
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
I split mine too far, in my opinion, and it looks worse for it. I think mine is at 2.5" spread, maybe 3", at the rear. This left the windshield perpendicular to the ground, which would be fine, but the upper "frame" around the headlight is bent over pointing sort of toward the ground instead of being perpendicular. This could have been fixed had my cut been handled differently.

It doesn't look awful, just a little more "extreme" than most. It also possibly cuts down on wind against me a little bit more.

Ohhhh I see. Ok thanks for the heads up. It doesn't look so bad here but I think with my taller windscreen it might look a little off.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #4148
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Quote:
Ohhhh I see. Ok thanks for the heads up. It doesn't look so bad here but I think with my taller windscreen it might look a little off.
Yeah, probably so. It's weird that I'm even bothered by it, as I'm very happy with the function and the larger dashboard that I built to fill it, but it still bugs me. Eventually, I'll go with a Britannia fairing.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #4149
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Quote:
Yeah, probably so. It's weird that I'm even bothered by it, as I'm very happy with the function and the larger dashboard that I built to fill it, but it still bugs me. Eventually, I'll go with a Britannia fairing.
There is no way in hell I am getting one of those hahahaha it's a KLR. there's a limit to the amount of money and fancy things i'm pouring into this thing.

I can't wait to put the dash in. I'm going to maximize the space I create. It will accomodate nicely the cheap garmin GPS I just bought :)

Old 03-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #4150
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Quote:
There is no way in hell I am getting one of those hahahaha it's a KLR. there's a limit to the amount of money and fancy things i'm pouring into this thing.
I completely understand what you mean and where you are coming from.... however, I've decided that I can farkle my KLR to the level I want, have a bike that looks pretty good and does 99% of the riding that I want to do, and still be more capable than I will ever be. It took me a while to come to the idea of spending any serious money on my KLR, but once I realized I'll have less than $4000 (including purchase) into a bike that I REALLY like, I decided to go for it. Beats having three bikes in the garage, insuring, licensing and maintaining them and only riding one.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #4151
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Speaking of a taller windshield, a friend made up a couple of taller shields and I've had one on my wheatwacker (ww) '07 since last May. I spent a week on the bike around Labor Day last year, exploring Gaspe and northern NB, mostly on well maintained gravel logging roads, some not so well maintained, some near abandoned, and some atv trails. The taller shield worked well with the 1 1/2" ww mod, though the top was a bit close to the adams apple when standing on the pegs off road. Personally, I think the shield should come off anyway when going off road, so it worked quite well otherwise. Here's a couple of pics from that trip, showing the taller shield with the ww mod:

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #4152
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Hey... Desiree' says ouch!

Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #4153
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Quote:
I completely understand what you mean and where you are coming from.... however, I've decided that I can farkle my KLR to the level I want, have a bike that looks pretty good and does 99% of the riding that I want to do, and still be more capable than I will ever be. It took me a while to come to the idea of spending any serious money on my KLR, but once I realized I'll have less than $4000 (including purchase) into a bike that I REALLY like, I decided to go for it. Beats having three bikes in the garage, insuring, licensing and maintaining them and only riding one.
To each their own. You sir, will just have a nicer KLR than I will ever have. I just don't make alot of money so my bike gets mediocre mods and thats it

Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #4154
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Quote:
Speaking of a taller windshield, a friend made up a couple of taller shields and I've had one on my wheatwacker (ww) '07 since last May. I spent a week on the bike around Labor Day last year, exploring Gaspe and northern NB, mostly on well maintained gravel logging roads, some not so well maintained, some near abandoned, and some atv trails. The taller shield worked well with the 1 1/2" ww mod, though the top was a bit close to the adams apple when standing on the pegs off road. Personally, I think the shield should come off anyway when going off road, so it worked quite well otherwise. Here's a couple of pics from that trip, showing the taller shield with the ww mod:

Yeah! that looks good. That's the look I want right there. So NB you say? as in.. New Brunswick?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #4155
JBradley500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Jettn Jim,

What's that front brake setup? I've never seen that before.
JBradley500 is offline   Reply With Quote