User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
jjdun7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
The Tunnel

So about a week ago I heard about a mystery tunnel. So last night curiosity got the better of me and after some time on the computer I came up with some coordinates. Sitting around the house board I decided to go in search of.I headed on out Scappoose and then up the highway to Vernonia. So getting close, or so I thought I parked and started hiking. After about 15 min. my GPS said turn right. Turn right there's a canyon on my right . oh well they do call this an adventure,,, right,,,right? so I headed down what looked like a deer trail.....................

and after slipping and sliding on my butt, more than once, I came to this............

Well,,,,,, the GPS says in the middle of that. So much for GPS coordinates. While I am standing there looking into this abyss, it looks like there's been other people down here. So I followed what looked like, a trail,, kind. After traipsing through the bushes, getting stuck with thorns and slapped in the face with branches. I look up................................................ .................

Eureka is that it well it got sloppier and the brush got thicker. But I finally got to this..................................

So it really does exist. That little dot in the middle of the picture is the other end of the tunnel.

well unfortunately I forgot to grab my good light and all I brought was a little tactical light. So I decided it was time to head back out. I'll have to come back another time with better light.

So after climbing and crawling, slipping and sliding. I made it back up to the fire road. I looked back down into the canyon of trees and wet underbrush. and I decided !! YES !! this was an adventure .................but it's not over..................... I still need to come back with a better light and walk all the way through to the other end of the tunnel.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871546
http://jjdun7.smugmug.com/

"Get out and explore"

jjdun7 screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 01:42 PM
jjdun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
jjdun7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Tunnel

So like I said, this tunnel thing has gotten the better of me. So I decided to make another attempt out there and find the West end of the tunnel this time.
Just a side note. GPS is a great tool. But it's like any other computer,,, garbage in garbage out. If you don't have good coordinates to put into it. It's not going to get you there.
So my starting point is about the same place as going to the east end of the tunnel. Only this time a buddy of mine decided to drive out and hike with me. I don't think he knew what he was getting into.

And just like last time it started out the same way. GPS said turn. So we did and after slipping and sliding again on my butt. Through the bushes and lots of thorns (Blood was involved). After several hundred yards he excitedly yelled “get over here I think I found it”. So I hurriedly got over to where he had been standing. And found myself standing on the adage of a small cliff overlooking,,,,,,,,,,,,

So I look around. And I find him, he's already made it to the bottom can you find him all the way down there……….

So I jumped in the creek and headed down to catch-up with him.

Except just around the corner gravity took over so I had to find her way around that obstacle.

I finally caught up…..
So this time I have someone to give a little bit of reference on just how big this hole in the ground is……

He wouldn't go in side so I decided to go in a ways.

And from this point I could actually see a small opening that went through to the other end.
So I specifically brought a better flashlight this time. The only problem is I,,,,,I left it at the bike,,,,,,,,,, all the way back up the road. So once again, I think I'll have to come back and considered going all the way through the tunnel.
So I'm snapping a few more pictures and Al yells,,,, never guess what I just found!!!!

So I'm sure some of you out there have been in a situation where you were working and sweat and struggling to work to climb a hill on your bike. And you get allllllll the way to the top,,,,,,,,,,, just to find a really nice easy road.

yeah you guessed it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

so, I guess it's going to be one more installment to this adventure.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871546
http://jjdun7.smugmug.com/

"Get out and explore"
Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
jjdun7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Tunnel (continued)

So in keeping with the theme here of tunnels, I went out riding today in search of,,,, another tunnel. Fortunately I didn't have to go thrashing through the forest, slipsliding down embankments and slopping through the mud. I took the easy way. I drove to the train tracks and hiked in.
(Not very far)

Once on the tracks they were,, shall we say,,, A little overgrown. After walking for about three quarters of a mile.

I glanced down the tracks to see the proverbial…… ‘black hole”.

Well as you can see this is definitely a much bigger hole in the ground than the last tunnel. This one seems to be in considerably better shape. But then again they, only stop using this back in 2007.

This is only one in a series of about seven tunnels on this one line. Will I get all of them? Well probably not this year. This is the easy one. Most of the rest are going to take quite a bit of hiking and bushwhacking.

Oh also in keeping with the theme of tunnels,,, I guess I'm also staying with the theme of no flashlight. I left it back at the bike. Fortunately this tunnel short enough I could see the other end.
Inside the tunnel walls were in great shape. For the most part you could see all of the beams.

There were some areas that it looked as though they had blown concrete on everything and one point in the middle some rather large chunks had fallen from the ceiling.

Getting closer to the other and they had used a lot of concrete.

Couple the shots looks like something out of Disneyland.

So once through to the other hand I went back through the tunnel to my bike I did just a little bit of exploring in the area on my quick ride home.

Hope you enjoyed it I had a blast.

"Get out and explore"
Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Nice journey, jj!!

A rail, that needs a trail.
Sounds like a mission
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,498
Interesting theme you have going there.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
thankyou
i love tunneling/ lol
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,665
I think you need to get the flashlight thing figured out first

Cool stories. I think a lot of guys miss these adventures along the way because they don't get off the bike and explore a little more. I enjoyed your "Discoveries"

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
jjdun7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Tunnel (continued)

So off on an adventure to explore another tunnel. This one is part of the train line that the last tunnel was on. And as usual it looks to be another Iffy day in the Northwest. But I got a go for a ride.
Now I know you're going to notice this isn't my signature WeeStrom. No I haven't sold it, just decided to grab one of the other bikes. So after fueling up and slabbing it out to the woods. I got some twisties in.

Then on this nice fire road......

in search of…………..

My starting point today is a place called Cochran pond. Back in early 1900s this was a logging pond.

So from here I started riding down the tracks.

Yes it looks a little overgrown. This line hasn't been used since around 2002 and is currently in the middle of the normal bureaucracy of converting it into a “tracks to trails”. Hopefully within the next five or six years this will be a hiking and bicycling trail. Running from Banks Oregon all the way out to Tillamook Oregon on the coast.

So after a mile or so of……………

And some nice views along the way…….

……… Yes I think that's it

Like the last tunnel, this one seems to be in surprisingly good shape.

One difference here is that you can't see the other end. This tunnel is on a curve.

And then finally,,,,,, the other end.

oh yes,, you'll notice,,,, in my left hand,,,,,,,, what's that

yes I remembered to bring a flashlight this time.

and then back out the way I came.........

so ends another fun adventure.

till next time.

"Get out and explore"
Old 03-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
Nice work. Wish we had stuff like that around here

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,923
Fascinating stuff,brilliant photos.

Why didn`t you ride through ??

P.S.
The camo Strom looks cool.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
jjdun7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Tunnel (continued)

jtb
just look around. There's cool stuff everywhere. Sometimes we have to get off our bikes. Yeah, I know, we don't like to do that. But it all adds to the adventure.

Tarka
Why didn`t you ride through ??

I had planned on riding through but there were so many saplings in the way and I was getting tired of cutting them all out with my Leatherman. I just parked the bike and walk the last couple hundred feet.

Maybe I'll ride through the next one............ Oh yes there is a next one.

"Get out and explore"
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdun7 View Post
Maybe I'll ride through the next one............ Oh yes there is a next one.
Good news.....we`re waiting!

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #13
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Sweet - wish I could ride those tracks..
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
jjdun7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Tunnel (continued)

So here I go once again, in search of another tunnel. Today I'm heading out into the Salmon Berry area just east of the huge metropolis of Timber Oregon. Hopefully I will find three tunnels today. One of which some of you have already been to.
It's a beautiful day out here in the Northwest.

I get to my starting point today and I came across a very nice campsite that someone's created. This site must have a fantastic sunset view.

I'm heading down into a canyon that I haven't been into in over 25 years so I don't really know what to expect. Some of my maps say that there's a road here ,,,,,,,,,, but then again some of my maps say there isn't. But that's the adventure with maps. You just never know.

Well eventually I got most of the way down to the bottom and the so-called road, ended. But wait,,,, is that trail? Well in a very short distance it became apparent I wasn't going to be able to ride the rest of the way down. Too many fallen trees and little landslides.

So it's park the bike and start hiking.

With some beautiful views along the way.

I can actually remember driving down this road. Yes this was a road.

Well at this point I'm checking my GPS and realizing that I have more than a mile to go and that the next two tunnels should be much simpler to get to. So I decided to turnaround and go back up to the bike and head over to my next destination. And along the way grabbed a few snapshots of the area.

So finally I make my way back over to the top of Beaver slide road. For anyone who hasn't been down here this is a great little road. It's about 2 miles of nonstop downhill switchbacks.

Well I finally made it to the bottom. And I'm sure some of you will recognize this tunnel. As this is one of the easiest tunnels to get to on this line.

Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel? Well I decide to ride through it because I've heard from other ride reports that there actually is an ATV trail at the other end of this tunnel.

and sure enough just pass that pile of brush is the beginning of the trail.

And in a very short distance I come across my first bridge. In amazingly good condition.

And then just around the next corner is another bridge.

Someone had a nice little campsite in the bend of the river right there.

Well a little further down the line and,,,,, lo and behold,,,,, there's my next tunnel.

Well as I approached it was very obvious this was the end of the line for the motorcycle.

As I hike through the bushes and down to the creek,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just one more of the many reasons why I come out and do this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So I hike on up the other side,. back up to the tracks.

Once again the opening to another tunnel. Ahhhh,, but this one has a surprise.

What’s that pile in the middle of the tracks? Must have come from somewhere.

You guessed it. The ceiling is caving in.

Doesn’t look that bad from this end.

And what's this,,,,,, another surprise,,,,,

And what creepy crawlers might be dwelling in this little box. Well a prudent person wouldn't even open the door. Prudent?

Well I continue on down the tracks and I come across my next surprise of the day.

A tepee? Well, kinda sort a. Someone had built a really nice little campsite.

I looked on down the tracks a little further ahead and decided enough was enough for one day. The next tunnel is over a mile up the canyon. So I decided it was time to start working my way back out. Snapping a few pictures along the way.

Well I finally made my way back to Beaver slide road and on up to the top. Then stopping to take a break I realize that it was much later than I had expected so I just hopped on fire road and headed for home.

And so ends another adventure. Hope you enjoyed it. I sure did.

"Get out and explore"
Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
Bruce H
Bruce H

Oddometer: 152
That was WAY NICE! Looks like some interesting stuff.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote