Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #61
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Why would you name a Chinese bike after an American city?

Because you're an American company selling them? I don't trust Chinese bikes any more than the next guy, but you have to admit that it makes perfect business sense for CCW to contract-build these in a factory that's already building smallish bikes by the container load vs. setting up an entirely new factory in North America for what has to be a tiny production run.

Americans will never buy 250s en masse, but that's the beauty of this setup--CCW doesn't need to sell them en masse to make a profit like they would had they set up their own production.

It's similar to the business model of Cape Town's MotoMia, though Americans have way more money so I wonder if it'll be successful here. For their part, MotoMia claims to be the #1 selling motorcycle brand in the Western Cape, so their bikes can't suck that bad.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #62
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Even ipods are made in China these days. Extremely high quality products can come out of China with the right oversight, design and support. That's not to say that CCW motorcycles are extremely high quality products, I've never seen one. I'm only saying that the potential for a quality product is there. The reason Chinese motorcycles have such a bad rap here in the USA is because they imported and sold almost exclusively by individuals who have no connection to the factory. Crates of the cheapest, lowest-quality motorcycles are dumped on our shores with no quality control, sold under dozens of different brand names by people who can't offer spares or support.

It would appear that CCW is doing something different. They're an American company outsourcing the components and major manufacturing to China while selling the product here with dealer support. CCW staff have been going to China for years working with the manufacturers to get what they need in terms of quality. Clearly this has a price, these CCW bikes are 2x-3x more expensive than your no-name Chinese motorcycle. It's yet to be seen whether the premium is worth it compared to your ebay chinabike or if the value makes it competitive with your big Japanese manufacturers. And judging by the review on the previous page, there are still many teething issues this company needs to address.

I hope they succeed, though I'm not a fan of the edgy illiteracy thing they've got going on. Cyclewerks? Tha Misfit?
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #63
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,489
Because it's made by American company that engineered this bike in Cleveland?

I'm wondering how many Chisese products you have in your household. Go puke all over your room

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Why would you name a Chinese bike after an American city?

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #64
thumpnokie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
A while back, there was another American company that had a pretty good run in the motorcycle industry which designed and engineered their bikes here in the States and produced them in through an Asian manufacturer using Asian parts.

The American company was Pabatco in Athena, Oregon and their motorcycle was Hodaka.
thumpnokie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #65
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Because it's made by American company that engineered this bike in Cleveland?
So it isnt Chinese? It is a all American design? To be honest, I dont believe that.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #66
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
New ace 125 cafe racer better looking

Check this little bugger out....made by skyteam.....very well made products by them. Coming march 2012 all epa approved 50 state street legal @ about $2300.00
Attached Images

moto-scoot bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #67
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Skyteam tt isle of man honda replica

Sweet & street legal
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #68
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ace 125 cafe racer for usa march 2012

Good lookin bike
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #69
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
I like the styling of the cafe racer, if they get over here I cant wait for them to start blowing up as there are quite a few parts I would like when I get to doing up my 1973 CB125S
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #70
antonac
Commuter

Oddometer: 323
I think one of the issues they're going to run into is that a lot of the folks that these bikes would speak to aesthetically are probably already familiar with the Hondas that they're basically copying, and the genuine article really isn't all that expensive or hard to find used.

Not knocking these guys, since I think they'll find success. I just think that they're trying to pull in the young, inexperienced "maybe-I'll-buy-a-scooter" crowd, and that's fine - if those people are willing to drop the extra dime on a nicer looking form of transport. My guess is no, and instead they'll get what Royal Enfield is getting - the (probably retired) people who don't want to fuss around with the minor tweaks that an old bike requires. In that case, I REALLY hope they do a better job than RE of providing dealer support.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #71
easternshorebiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I stumbled across this today. Seems like some high points and some not so high points.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...deo-91249.html
easternshorebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #72
Das_Schnellste
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Does anyone own one of these yet?
Das_Schnellste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #73
Scotty J
Obedient Consumer

Oddometer: 272
Reviving a dying thread...

I just picked one up yesterday for the missus birthday present. Luckily I got in touch with the dealer about 2 months ago, and the bugger just showed up with 3 days to spare before her b-day. Initial thoughts:

-I don't think the dealer really knew how to do much more than uncrate it and screw it together... About the first 5 degrees of throttle is dead (slack in the cable), and it's really grumpy about idling. I'll need to adjust the throttle and the idle.
-To get it to the dealer in time, CCW shipped it via FedEx, and FedEx managed to put a nice crease in the tank and scratch on the front fender. A claim has been filed by CCW and a tank & fender will be shipped direct to me.
-I think the growing pains of Big Business have smacked CCW in the face: Tha Misfit's once exciting price of $3k has jumped to $3400 and CCW has done away with all the shiny parts in favor of a Henry Ford any-color-you-like-so-long-as-it's-black paint scheme. No shiny engine parts, no silver forks. At least the rims are chrome.
-The hardware on the controls feels pretty chintzy. Is "chintzy" a mandarin word?
-The tank badge is a crappy sticker. Like, real crappy. Maybe I'll peel 'em off and have "Merkel" logos painted on.
-It would benefit from a steering stabilizer or maybe better meats. I threw it into a long sweeper and it was pretty squirrley.
-It sounds great, for a two-fiddy.
-It's a ton of fun... 300 pounds and 14 hp, what's not to like?

I'm not bitching. So far, I'm digging this bike and i think it's a perfect first ride for my wife, especially for the money. I just hope she likes it, but if she doesn't I'll be happy to ride it for her.

So it's chinese... So what isn't these days??
Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #74
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,623
The ACE and the Misfit are two totally different bikes. The ACE is still not available, at least not here. I could ride the ACE, the riding on the Misfit is all wrong for me, bars to low, high rearset pegs, major pain all over. Quality wise they sgould be about the same. CCW is all Chinese. I did notice that the Misfit has a centerstand, and the ACE doesn't. A bike with tube type tires is worthless to me without a centerstand. If it had one, I would own a TU250. The Wolf 150 is not only to small, but for those used to the quality of SYM scooters, it is not there on the Wolf. It may say SYM on it, but I don't believe it was made by SYM. Looks and feels very Chinesey to me. The CCW bikes are probably just as good. I would be interested in an ACE with a centerstand, but not "Tha Misfit" or "Tha Heist"
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #75
brian72
Gnarly Adventurer

I took a tour of their Cleveland warehouse hosted by owner Scott Colosimo.
He was kind enough to take time out of his schedule to film with us for our public access program ADV TV. Also test rode 'Tha Misfit" along side Scott (he was on his "Tha Ace") down some side streets in Cleveland. Surprised at the torque and solid feel of the 250 single. I'm not one for Chinese made products. That being said he convinced me that he is working to make as much of the bikes and parts in America as he can going forward. Please watch the video and decide for yourself.
brian72 is offline   Reply With Quote