Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #3166
Oz Nutter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz.au View Post
Yeah, I often describe it as a "Manga" styled bike. I moved from a K100RS to the K1 because the slightly changed ergonomics fitted me better (short an' fat). I also like the unusual look of it. And now it's a collectable classic, and appreciating. In 21 months mine will be 25yo with >120,000 km on it. So probably not a "prime" collectable, but still....
Fun for you, that's what matters eh!!
Mine's got scratches from my riding,rebuilt steering damper,rebuilt starter,head stem bearings and suspension improvements next, its not for everyone, and its not as hot to ride as you think,need to find right hand glovebox cover/lid ( blew off at silly speeds between Wee Waa and Narabri) be due for vintage rego soon, cheaper $$, 166k on my odo,

Do you know if 6 speed box from K1100 will fit??
Or may have model wrong, but one of the later K models had a six speed i'm sure.

Only seen 1 at wreckers ever, just bought K bike ABS diagnostic equipment on fleabay, although i've had no trouble with mine, having the right tech tools will help with early ABS systems as bike ages..
Been getting heaps of comments from non riders (mostly chicks), re: Nice bike, so "old school" etc makes up for the fat slug comments.....
If i had $$ i'd turbo/mod driveline and go racing on the salt......

Oz Nutter screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 06:10 AM
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #3167
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Reckon I could make up about 160kms of twists & turn on dirt to get from Murrumbateman to Jugiong

If anyone's interested, might do it as a challenge one day
Cheers
Baza

I'll be in that Bazz
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #3168
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz-in-Oz View Post
I'll be in that Bazz

I would also ...
It would be good to know an approx 2-hour dirt route between Jugiong and Yass – I might see if you’re home one day, and pop around to talk to you with a map – little roads like Cumbamurra and Coppabella would be good, but might be in the same category as Fish River Rd re’ closed public access ...

Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #3169
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,536
Laugh Work ride

Gotta go down to Tumut for work [union meeting], on Monday, one of the workmates is coming with me on his CB250, should be a good education for him up through Nottingham Rd / come back via Bondo or Tummurrama
He has been laying crap on my old beasts - so it's pay back time, wouldn't take his ST700? Honda [one of those fully kitted roadies],
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #3170
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,266
I was plodding along the Carlaminda dirt road from Numeralla to Cooma, and bumped into BergDonk in his ute. The places you meet folks, eh.

We had a nice soiree for around 10 minutes, then continued on our respective ways.

I can report that the Carlaminda dirt road, the Kybeyan dirt road (from Countegany) and the Steeple Flat dirt road are all in good nick, I passed the graders on Kybeyan. Stiil green and lush with full dams too, very scenic.

The Monaro Highway still sucks, no surprises there.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #3171
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I was plodding along the Carlaminda dirt road from Numeralla to Cooma, and bumped into BergDonk in his ute. The places you meet folks, eh.

'Bumped', figuratively, not literally, fortunately.

Good to chat for a few minutes,and see the XR alive. Hopefully the Adelaide trip went well.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #3172
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
And I was plodding (ok, more like struggling with a slipping clutch) up Jinglemoney FT today, and who should I bump into but Mr and Mrs Bergdonk out for a leisurely Sunday drive in the ute.
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #3173
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
And I was plodding (ok, more like struggling with a slipping clutch) up Jinglemoney FT today, and who should I bump into but Mr and Mrs Bergdonk out for a leisurely Sunday drive in the ute.

And what's the rest of the story, there's more to this story - I sure
Cheers
Baza
Old 03-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #3174
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And what's the rest of the story, there's more to this story - I sure
Cheers
Baza
Hoots will chime in soon for sure with the real story.

In the meantime, with a couple of trees down, it took us 5.25 hrs to get to Braidwood for lunch. We left home at 10.00. Beautiful day to be out and about.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #3175
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post

Hoots will chime in soon for sure with the real story.
Not sure what possessed Steve to start chain-sawing at the southern end of the park ...

We could have used that saw on the northern exit to Gourock Range FT ...

Five of us went that way to look at the route that Steve pointed out some months back – a long time ago I had mistaken one track for another and thought that the northern way out of Tally was closed – but no, you can get in and out that way (via Watsons Rd, thence Kings H’way) – but a chainsaw will be helpful ...

We managed by stacking rocks up against a big trunk and half driving / half lifting the bikes over – not too bad going downhill, but a bit of a struggle uphill ...

And the struggling after all that continued on my part – found it really difficult to get the new 690 up steep loose sections – I’m happy to blame 90% of this on buggered technique, but suspect that the remaining 10% may be something to do with trying to meter out 66hp when struggling to control the bars – which in turn may reflect less-than-optimal suspension set-up - I'll do some more practice here, then see what Steve thinks on a ride in the steep country down his way when his knee is recovered ...

Anyway, the short story is that I dropped it a couple of times – the second of which resulted in a puncture to one of the new (and previously very beautiful) RallyRaid fuel tanks – I’ve since located some repair stuff for plastic fuel tanks, so the financial loss should be minimal – but from here on all photos will need to be from the left ...

Having half-patched the hole an isolated that tank, I turned tail and limped home the easy way with a dribbling tank – the others continued and ran into Steve and Mrs Donk – I hope John directed them to the northern end of Gourock Range FT, as good to be able to enter and exit the park that way ...
Old 03-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #3176
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

I had an axe and a drag chain with me, but no chainsaw yesterday. I cut a tree off Cowangerong near the Gum Creek turn and when we got to the tree down across Bombay, bailed, and looped back around.

If I'd had the chainsaw with me, I likely would have cleared Bombay, but wouldn't have got up onto Gourock. SWMBO is keen for another trip, so maybe we'll take the real saw and tidy some of it up.

She's also keen to get down to Bendoc and Errinundra for a look. Maybe an overnighter at the Bellbird Pub?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #3177
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Sounds like a fun day, the building of land bridges & clearing doesn't though, been a few wind storms through there?
Cheers
Baza
Old 03-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #3178
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Been a few wind storms through there?
Cheers
Baza
I wondered whether there had been storms in there - may just be that they haven't had a chance to do the usual track maintenance.

The last bit of Bombay FT is often roped off re' forestry operations in the area - perhaps they thought that nature had done the job for them ...
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #3179
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

The weather was a bit wild last Thursday night, so I'd say that's when a fair bit came down.

But it doesn't need a storm. On any number of quiet days here, a crash can echo off the hillside as a tree loses out to a gravity attack.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #3180
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post

She's also keen to get down to Bendoc and Errinundra for a look. Maybe an overnighter at the Bellbird Pub?
What was your expected timing for this?