ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #766
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Odin69, yep, those roads look familiar. Calaveras county, like Placer and El Dorado counties in the 50's before the interstate highways went through.

It's a month or two off but there's Summit Level Road from RR Flat road up to 4 past Avery. And in the spring SPI will unlock the gate at the bottom of Winton Road and you can go up to the top and ride forest roads to 4 near Bear Valley.

A trivia note, that last road with the bridge was a section of Ponderosa Way. That was a 1930's WPA project to build a firebreak road up and down the length of the foothills, before there were a lot of people living up there. Many of the sections have been allowed to be taken over by property owners and are gated.

There was a state inspection of that bridge around 2002 or thereabouts and they found the concrete piers and metal trusses to be in satisfactory condition but the report noted the deteriorating condition of the wooden deck.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #767
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
I've got a 449 and couldn't be happier.

BTW KTM didn't buy Husky, one of the major stockholders did. He promises to bring the brand back to its earlier glory.
Good news I guess , need to give Tanner a call and see how things are!

Don't here much talk of the bike here, but the folks at thumper talk seem to have good things to say!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #768
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Great trail bike, terrible fuel range for long days. Nomad external tank helps but it needs more.

http://sdrv.ms/ZYKjr2
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #769
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
I think that Husky is a very nice bike but range is important. Keep that in mind when selecting our new ride and what aftermarket stuff is available. For the short trips you don't need to fill to capacity. Running out of gas can mean a long hot walk. Actually two long hot walks.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #770
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Actually two long hot walks.
What? You would make me walk back too! Whatta friend

On another note; My swingarm is stripped, machine shop is scratching their head over how to repair. I'm bike-less dammit!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #771
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Been eyeing the Husky 511 for quite some time now, but money has been an issue these past two years...Not sure now with KTM buying Husky..might pay to wait and see what happens to the brand...
I should be home in about 90 days or so, depends on when I deploy but when I do we should ride get some riding in..
Bruce the Husky should be a good pick? I've read some reviews about it.

I'm hoping to sell my DRZ next spring and buy a KTM 500EXC? We're going to be short on money this year because, we have a construction project goig on.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #772
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Stan View Post
Odin69, yep, those roads look familiar. Calaveras county, like Placer and El Dorado counties in the 50's before the interstate highways went through.

It's a month or two off but there's Summit Level Road from RR Flat road up to 4 past Avery. And in the spring SPI will unlock the gate at the bottom of Winton Road and you can go up to the top and ride forest roads to 4 near Bear Valley.

A trivia note, that last road with the bridge was a section of Ponderosa Way. That was a 1930's WPA project to build a firebreak road up and down the length of the foothills, before there were a lot of people living up there. Many of the sections have been allowed to be taken over by property owners and are gated.

There was a state inspection of that bridge around 2002 or thereabouts and they found the concrete piers and metal trusses to be in satisfactory condition but the report noted the deteriorating condition of the wooden deck.
Yeah, I was thinking the bridge wasn't looking too good myself. It looks like it is rotting and you could see through a small section of it where, the board had fallen.

I tried finding more dirt roads yesterday but, only found one up below Avery. It kind of sucks that most of the roads are paved single lane roads out there. I even tried past Big Trees but, it got to cold and a lot of the roads were closed off. It was too cold up there and I wasn't dressed for it. I found a road around Murphy's but, further down there was a locked gate. I'm finding a lot of locked gates North of Hwy 4.

So far, the only good riding area that I know of is Camp Nine road which, takes you to Italian Bar and all that area South of Hwy 4.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #773
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey St Stan,

I sent you a PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #774
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Sell your DRZ???

Actually the KTM was my other bike of choice...it seems to have more aftermarket "stuff" including a larger tank. I just need to go sit on them both..

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #775
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

No, I still think the DRZ is the bike for me. It's paid for, set up and I'm taking it on a 3000 mile dirt ride in July.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #776
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Sell your DRZ???

Actually the KTM was my other bike of choice...it seems to have more aftermarket "stuff" including a larger tank. I just need to go sit on them both..
Yeah, that's why I was thinking about the KTM also. Plus, it looks like a kick ass bike and is fuel injected.

I've been thinking about getting rid of the DRZ for awhile now. I was riding it the other day and it just wasn't clicking with me. I don't really want to sell it until, I can buy the KTM though. I'm thinking maybe next Spring or, if I'm lucky this Fall?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #777
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
On another note; My swingarm is stripped, machine shop is scratching their head over how to repair. I'm bike-less dammit!
There are better ways to get your kicks than stripping your swingarm.
Sorry to hear that Jeff. Now you got me worried considering the upcoming DV ride.
I finished the work on my DRZ yesterday. I'm going to take it out for a shake down today. Didn't get around to the forks though. However the air in the tires is fresh, sprockets are new, new chain, the swingarm and link bearings are lubed, new petcock, new fuel filter, rebuilt shock, installed digital tach, did some wiring for future lighting.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #778
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Anyone riding this Sunday 3/22

Got the urge for a little Adventure riding this weekend. Don't have any routes or plans but if someone needs a partner for riding let me know. Some of you have met me on one of Gayles rides I am sure.

I am located in Oakdale and would be riding my Xchallenge, preferably.
Bob
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #779
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I wish I could but, I have to work this weekend. Maybe, some other time? Do you have any week days off?

I heard Gail is leading a ride Sunday around Colombia this weekend. I believe they're leaving the shop at 9am?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #780
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Jason,
Unfortunately I work during the week. I thought about Gayle having a ride this weekend but didn't recall getting an email which I usually get. Might go to Cycle Specialties today and see what the ride is about. If you do get a weekend day off for a ride PM me. I will do either off road or pavement whatever the mood is.
Bob
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote