ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Bill introduced to legalize lane splitting in Nevada

I'm a Californian and I've been splitting for 25 years, so riding between cars is natural to me - hard to refrain in other states. I wanted to share this so y'all NV riders can get involved and help push this through.

Assemblymen Richard “Skip” Daly (District 31), Richard Carrillo (District 18) and James Healey (District 35) have introduced AB236 which would legalize lane splitting in Nevada. The bill language is interesting because it's simple and smart. There's currently a bill - SB 350 - in the works ("on hold" for now) here in California that would codify the supposed gray areas around splitting - I hope the folks working on that take a look at this language:

Quote:
A person may drive a motorcycle or moped between moving or stationary vehicles occupying adjacent traffic lanes and traveling in the same direction as the motorcycle or moped provided that the person drives in a cautious and prudent manner and the motorcycle or moped does not exceed a speed of 30 miles per hour while driving between such vehicles.
The bill page is here. I'll post updates as I have them under the Nevada lane splitting news tag of LaneSplittingIsLegal.com too.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,317
I'm all for it. Hope it passes.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

Update on AB236. The bill went to the Transportation Committee late last week, which is chaired by Assemblyman Richard Carrillo, one of the co-sponsors of the bill. Writeup and video here. Gnarly quote from one of the opposing legislators, Assemblywoman Carlton: "I’m picturing a scenario, I’m on the highway, we’re going down… 25 miles an hour, I’ve got a kid in the back seat. They roll the window down, they stick their arm out, my kid ends up with a broken arm, the motorcyclist’s guts end up all over the back of my car. Uhm… it just doesn’t seem to me to make a lot of sense. I’m sorry, it doesn’t. It just seems like a very dangerous thing to be doing."

Anyone ever here of this actually happening? I've been splitting for a long time and I don't know of any cases of broken arms by passing motorcycle. Spooked smokers, maybe.

Another disturbing bit: they're talking about adding a something to the bill that would make accidents that occur during splitting the fault of the motorcyclist by default. No details on this yet, and not sure it would actually fly, but Assemblyman Daly said "…on the liability side, talking with people in law enforcement is that if there was an accident, and the lane splitting, that they would cite the motorcyclist anyway, say it was his fault. So we was just looking at it a little more in the… trying to give people a little more peace of mind to say that, if a person decides to do the lane splitting, you do so at your own risk. So we just want to make it clear that, you know, we’re not trying to put anybody on the hook, or get the regular people in their cars to have additional liability ’cause someone else… you know, did something else."

So if that's added and this bill is passed and you’re splitting lanes legally – cautiously and prudently as required by the new law – and a driver hits you, it’s your fault because we can’t have “regular people” (which apparently doesn’t include motorcyclists) being “on the hook” to be aware of their surroundings and check their mirrors to avoid “additional liability” if they hit a rider who’s doing “something else.” Something else being lane splitting, which would be legal. Isn’t not hitting other drivers something all drivers are already on the hook for? No bueno.

Anyway, check out the video and presentations from the meeting here.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,352
30 years of lane splitting in CA, (i was pro!) now I'm in Nevada.

It took a while for me to adjust my ride style for a more relaxed non-agressive light traffic environment without lane splitting.

Honestly, I havent really missed it. Personally I'm never in tat big of a hurry.
It's probably more of an issue down in Vegas.
I hope it gets passed though.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

We're getting there! AB236 passed the Assembly Transportation Committee today with slight amendments and limited opposition. Full story here.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
That would be great to have another state that allows it, Cali wouldn't be standing alone anymore and that may help pave the way for other states, hopefully

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
I'm a Californian and I've been splitting for 25 years, so riding between cars is natural to me - hard to refrain in other states. I wanted to share this so y'all NV riders can get involved and help push this through.

Assemblymen Richard “Skip” Daly (District 31), Richard Carrillo (District 18) and James Healey (District 35) have introduced AB236 which would legalize lane splitting in Nevada. The bill language is interesting because it's simple and smart. There's currently a bill - SB 350 - in the works ("on hold" for now) here in California that would codify the supposed gray areas around splitting - I hope the folks working on that take a look at this language:

The bill page is here. I'll post updates as I have them under the Nevada lane splitting news tag of LaneSplittingIsLegal.com too.
cautious and prudent manner, leaves alot for interpretation.
Sorry son youre riding between cars, and I dont think its safe or prudent for you to do so, so heres a ticket. have a nice day.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
this message self-destroyed...

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 09:15 AM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entheogen View Post
Good job Hooligan! When I split lanes in Chicago, they spit, opened their doors, pulled closer, etc. In the spirit of "fuck 'em all" I rode in the E-lane. Never any cops on the freeways during rush hour anyhow...they are told to stay away and out of that mess.

I do appreciate the hard work to make it legal. I'll help back you up by simply just splitting lanes in support!
Civil disobedience lane splitting? It's the beginning of a revolution!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

AB236 passed the Nevada Assembly last night with very strong support. Next up, the state Senate - hopefully with just as much support.

I like the way this is shaping up so far.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

Guess I was thinking too positive, too soon. AB236 has passed the Senate Transportation Committee, but unfortunately in a neutered and limited form: splitting would be allowed at 10 MPH or less, in stopped traffic only.

Next stop: full Senate vote.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,214
At least it, the bill, wasn't completely rejected. It will be interesting to see what see what happens with the next step.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
francisthepig
Dances with Lurkers

Oddometer: 150
SF_Hooligan
Thanks for the updates! Your site is great. Keep up the good work.
francisthepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
At least it, the bill, wasn't completely rejected. It will be interesting to see what see what happens with the next step.

Indeed. I'm trying to find out from the various folks in NV when the full Senate vote will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisthepig View Post
SF_Hooligan
Thanks for the updates! Your site is great. Keep up the good work.
Thanks!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

AB236 was defeated in a vote in the full Senate today, 16-5. So bummed. Had high hopes, given the overwhelming support in the Assembly. Full story and video of the vote here.