Oddometer: 113
That Ural is a Dnepr!

tbird649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #977
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,467
Cuba - Day 4 - Trinidad

Waking up to a very wet day mum nature had decided Cuba needed a wash, we had planned to rent a scoota but nah tomorrow will do when/if it is fine.

Our neighbour from Bacelona had a breaky and it was huge, she couldn’t eat it all so we helped her with the coffee and fruit and juice .. a nice start.

Today now is Spanish learning day as this will help with the basic understanding when we get to Guatemala.

The rain continued off and on all day, more on than off however later in the afternoon we had a window to sneak out and have a look at another part of old town Trinidad, stopping along the way we bought a Pizza for $20 CUP which is $0.83 cents.

Continuing up the street to the old centre were small art shops, bars etc all for the tourist which is the biggest industry here.

Walking along a small side street a lady said welcome in to see her dolls for sale ... what caught my eye was the CBR1000RR Repsol sitting in there ... WTF????, very very unusual to see a big bike other than a Ural and even more surprising to see a big Japanese bike as 99% here is MZ or Ural and a massive array of small Japanese two strokes.

Town was very nice and the streets all cobbled from yesteryear.

We even managed to get a photo of the local hotrod before it blazed on past.

Pictures of Che feature everywhere, this was an opportune photo with a picture in the courtyard behind.

Mechanics working in the street on an old Chevrolet ..... still sporting drum brakes etc but most of these cars have engine conversions to Lada diesels, kinda funny with Russian engines in US cars.

....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 04:12 PM
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #978
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Also KHI from Russia, a watercooled stinky.
That is ISH in Angleski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #979
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
That is ISH in Angleski.
Yeap and that one ... I thought it was a ruski but now we have the real oil!!
Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #980
dgeezer
Feral Wanderer

Oddometer: 40
So cool is Trinidad

So cool that you went to Trinidad first. It was my favorite town. Early in the predawn there was a klop klop and a person calling out Pan..pan..pan..
It was the baker making his rounds with a cart and
pony. I loved that town. LOts of lobster too.
Iam so enjoying your experiences.
But Wanaka sucks because it has only one Mexican cafe. Haha.
But I saw Lord of the Rings at the Paradiso, a really cool theatre. Later. So Go on,tell us the rest.

dgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #981
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
So cool that you went to Trinidad first. It was my favorite town. Early in the predawn there was a klop klop and a person calling out Pan..pan..pan..
It was the baker making his rounds with a cart and
pony. I loved that town. LOts of lobster too.
Iam so enjoying your experiences.
But Wanaka sucks because it has only one Mexican cafe. Haha.
But I saw Lord of the Rings at the Paradiso, a really cool theatre. Later. So Go on,tell us the rest.
Yeah Trinidad was cool we really enjoyed the place, smoked my first Cuban cigar there

The lobster was so nice, in NZ we have to take out a mortgage to have a lobster feed so that was a hell of a treat.

Only one Mexican restaurant in Wanaka but a bloody good one at that, their food is up there with the best of them
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #982
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird649 View Post
That Ural is a Dnepr!
Lots more to come too ... couldn't help myself
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #983
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Page Shortening post
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #984
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Page Shortening Post but longer
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #985
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Page Shortening Post but longer again
Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #986
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Post 15 to conclude this page
Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #987
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Day 5 - Trinidad

Mum nature decided to be nice and play well today, we woke to a sunny morning although cold and breezy, todays mission was to hire a scoota and go for a hoon around the district and take in the locale.

n o i c e helmet eh

The fuel gauge was playing up and according to the fuel bars we were going to run out of fuel but when we got to the petrol station we only just squeezed in 5 CUC.

We did get to the viewpoint on the way to the National Park which was cool but decided to call it at that and not head into the park given we thought we were short on fuel.

This is the road up ... woulda been more fun on Maya!!

The wind had picked up and it was blowing hard along the beach front so not too many people sitting in the sun, it did make for great waves tho.

A boat that had sunk many years ago and has just been left there

Cruising around Trinidad we caught some locale, was cool.

Some local lads having a good old chat

Yesteryear pic

Another two stroke, they are everywhere.

Two local girls wearing vacuum pack clothing

During the afternoon we took the scoota to the sugar cane mills and checked out a 7 storey kinda building.

Flat out!!!

The tower

The views from the top were great, the stairs were a bit dodgy with one corner of the stair open to a window to fall out 5 floors!!!

Returning back to Trinidad we dropped off the scoota and went to a small cafe/bar and ordered a Majitta and a Pina Colada, the bar owner learning we were Mojittan virgins kindly gave a us a complimentary Cuban cigar to have with our grog.

Live muzic, Cuban cigar, Pina Colada, Mojitto .... life is good.

For those of you tempted by what you see and want to go to Trinidad this is the place to go .... tell him the Kiwis sent you.

Well that kinda pasted the rest of the afternoon as we hit relax mode in full, we were going to walk up to the repeater station above the town but nah Pina Colada was more important.

6.50 pm we sat down to tea which was lobster, rice, spuds, gerkins, cucumber and stir fried cabbage topped of with a sweet marmalade and cheese style dessert. .... perfecto!!!!

All this was rounded off by a Sunset, Pina Colada and Mojitto for good measure and good health so now we are very healthy.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 04:31 PM
Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #988
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Cuba - Day 6 - Trinidad To Camaguey

The bus leaves at 8.00am ... we had to be up early as we have to be there at 7.30am and our clock does not normally start that early.

Leaving bang on 8.10 am (Cuba time which was pretty good) the trip was good going through the Cuban countryside, wet met an Ozzie traveler Barry from Ozzie (obviously), real nice guy (for an Ozzie) and having a great trip through the islands, best for your trip too mate, arriving at Camaquey at 1.30 pm we were stood up!! ... no Casa people???

All dressed up and no place to go, on exiting the bus station we got SWAMPED ... Taxi, Taxi sir .... come with me ...Taxi, seems our host from Trinidad who had organised our next stay had not quite filled in everything so we had to start again .... no worries, plenty of Casas and we were sorted in 5 minutes arriving at our new Casa Particular.

Starting with a coffee with a BOOT we left for centro and had a good look around.

Camaquey is more of an industrial town and had art shops and the usual touristy part, we did have a very nice coffee which has become the norm here in Cuba, prices ranging from the local single shot at $.04 cents to the cafe today which was $1.20 for a cappuccino with a lump of chocolate which was very nice indeed.

We tried to get a photo of the bike but this hot young Cuban girl was getting in the way

All over Cuba it was very common and very popular to have the latest 1980's Boby Brown hairdo

What a surprise to see this ..... ... it is absolutely rubbed into them everywhere and right from early school drummed in them.

A very common sight in Cuba is lineups, these people cueing for bread

This guy was chasing me round asking for money, this is another in your face happening on a daily basis ... this is my understanding look.

Captain Koul, Bobby Browns bro

Another local Ural sidie, these are everywhere from the west to the east

These chairs kinda stood out in a street where nothing was happening and they just looked ... well...odd!

This is very much a typical cattle class local bus, as whiteyfoos we are not allowed to ride on these again very much reinforcing the "Them and the Us's" in Cuba, in reality we were not too worried as they were alway severely overcrowded but it would have been neat to have gone on one just for the experience.

A groovy wee man made cave which was very well done in a local park.

A very common scene on the local streets a Lada and older two strokes, in this case all three were blue so we shot it with a different approach.

Local paintings on wall with a big cat in a park that you could walk through the middle of

The other fashion in Cuba for woman is to wear fishnet stockings of all descripts which was kinda unusual to see, even the elderly ladies did the same so it wasn't just a young persons thing.... most stockings we almost lady of the night kinda look (not that there is anything wrong with that)

To finish, our wine tonight was Cuban Soroa Vino Tinto at $2.08 was a real splash-out, not entirely top shelf but good enough to sit and write a report with, that is not to say you guys are not worth it but just saying it was still ok .
Old 03-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #989
tbird649
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Lots more to come too ... couldn't help myself
I only know the difference because I've just bought a Ural (Couldn't help myself either, so be careful!!!)

tbird649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #990
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird649 View Post
I only know the difference because I've just bought a Ural (Couldn't help myself either, so be careful!!!)
We nearly did to continue our RTW trip, love the Yamal ... that paddle is just the coolest.