Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #76
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Ran low? haha. It's a TON of anti-seize. Either you have a lot of bikes, are a mechanic or are a nut about keeping your exhaust nut threads coated with the stuff.
I do a fair amount of work and I'm low on the graphite stuff now. I redo the exhaust nuts every oil change.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #77
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
I do a fair amount of work and I'm low on the graphite stuff now. I redo the exhaust nuts every oil change.
I think you might be over doing it just a little Plaka. But then I probably do mine ever two years. Or if I have the pipe off and they look like they could use some I will add.

Added, since you are doing customer bikes doing the exhaust nuts more than regular is probably a good thing.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #78
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

khale,

Since I have a /6 and you have a /5 there are a number of differences. The rocker arms is one of these. I'm pretty sure that the info on Largiader's site is current. I don't remember tho if he addresses the issue /5's have with clamping the blocks together. What you said is the right attitude. They should be as close together as possible with out binding and with a /5 it takes a little bit more than finger pressure. I think other riders use a large C clamp with a socket over each end of the rocker shafts so the pressure is applied to the end blocks.

There was a factory service tool made for this but I don't think anybody uses it because the large C clamp does a better job anyway.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #79
khale OP
ride dirty

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
khale,

Since I have a /6 and you have a /5 there are a number of differences. The rocker arms is one of these. I'm pretty sure that the info on Largiader's site is current. I don't remember tho if he addresses the issue /5's have with clamping the blocks together. What you said is the right attitude. They should be as close together as possible with out binding and with a /5 it takes a little bit more than finger pressure. I think other riders use a large C clamp with a socket over each end of the rocker shafts so the pressure is applied to the end blocks.

There was a factory service tool made for this but I don't think anybody uses it because the large C clamp does a better job anyway.
Great info, thanks Disston. I am indeed using a C-clamp and sockets to hold the rocker assembly in place.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #80
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I think you might be over doing it just a little Plaka. But then I probably do mine ever two years. Or if I have the pipe off and they look like they could use some I will add.

Added, since you are doing customer bikes doing the exhaust nuts more than regular is probably a good thing.
Probably. But I use strait oil filters so I'm pivoting the R. pipe anyway. Quick enough to spin off the nuts and run a brass brush around the threads in the head, goop up and replace. I also decarbonize all the exhaust joints, just means I never have to fight it getting them apart.

The only work I do on other peoples bikes is custom bracketry and electrical work.

I just have the one bike, but I also work on my truck and a half dozen small engines I have around. You go through the stuff.

I just cooked up two pots of special lube, one is a blend of aluminum based anti-sieze, Honda moly 60 and powdered graphite, for the rear hub splines. The other is Honda moly 60 and powdered graphite (very stiff) for trans splines. I might also make a reasonably stiff Moly EP grease and graphite blend for the throttle cam.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #81
khale OP
ride dirty

Got her buttoned back up and she started great! Just in time for the first day of Spring. Man, these new Keihan SS headers are mighty nice. I'll probably be posting again soon, seeking advice for a compression and leak down test (yes, I know this should have been done at the very beginning).

Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #82
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 559
Looking awesome!
Kt-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #83
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Got her buttoned back up and she started great! Just in time for the first day of Spring. Man, these new Keihan SS headers are mighty nice. I'll probably be posting again soon, seeking advice for a compression and leak down test (yes, I know this should have been done at the very beginning).

Sweet! I just polished out my stainless headers. heard if you get any oil on them, including fingerprints, they get brown and nasty. Dunno how true it is but it's enough work to restore them I'm gonna be careful.

Hint: see where the front brake cable touches the front fender? it wears through the paint right there. A strip of the clear stick on stuff used on tanks under tank bags is good preventative medicine. Redo it every so often. I had my /5 for about 20 years, 19.5 years longer than that particular girlfriend. Just selling off the last of the parts.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #84
khale OP
ride dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Sweet! I just polished out my stainless headers. heard if you get any oil on them, including fingerprints, they get brown and nasty. Dunno how true it is but it's enough work to restore them I'm gonna be careful.

Hint: see where the front brake cable touches the front fender? it wears through the paint right there. A strip of the clear stick on stuff used on tanks under tank bags is good preventative medicine. Redo it every so often. I had my /5 for about 20 years, 19.5 years longer than that particular girlfriend. Just selling off the last of the parts.
Thanks Plaka, appreciate all the advice. I rubbed down the SS headers with isopropyl rubbing alcohol to get rid of any oily fingerprints before I started the bike last night. The SS headers should turn slightly gold, correct? Anything else I should know about proper care of SS headers?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #85
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Luster Lace was recently reintroduced to the Oz market and it worked really well on the Staintune system on my G/S.

The long wide strips worked the best, and the exhaust has taken a nice Titanium like light bronze sheen which has lasted well and has brought a few favorable comments. Much better than anything else I have tried, including Autosol , Muguiars and Mothers.

But Meguiars Black trim detailer has been reformulated and it is now the best I have found.

Staintune have also started selling their OEM polish on Oz Ebay but I haven't tried it yet.
Maybe when the Luster lace runs out-----.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #86
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
Just use alloy wheel cleaner, the acid removes the brown sheen, then polish with your polish of choice
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #87
khale OP
ride dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Just use alloy wheel cleaner, the acid removes the brown sheen, then polish with your polish of choice
the headers turned almost immediately light brown after starting the bike. That's normal, right? Maybe light brown is too strong, a very, very light golden.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #88
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,959
Quote:
the headers turned almost immediately light brown after starting the bike. That's normal, right? Maybe light brown is too strong, a very, very light golden.
Normal. My Staintune mufflers were about brown before a polished a bunch of scratches out after my last crash but then again my BMW headers are blue and purple and yellow clear to the plenum.

The best thing to reduce headers from changing color is getting out of the choke ASAP.

supershaft screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 04:06 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #89
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Yes, that is how your stainless steel headers will look. They will get a little spotted or something so riders clean them to get them back to even again.

Chrome headers turn blue.

I have a cheap set of something else. Brand new they immediately turned to rust.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #90
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,959
Those Luftmeiser two into ones were good pipes IMO. A customer of ours back in the day bought a R90S from us brand new and for some reason that thing was a runner right out of the box. It was by far the best running 90S we ever sold not that we sold THAT many of them but . . . . It ran better yet with a Luftmeiser two into one on it.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote