Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #46
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Hey Admiral, Your kids are probably too big, but my kid would lobby to tie an inner tube to the back and go for a "free" sled ride. We've been doing that with ATVs and the new snow machines. Nice shot back into the garage at the end!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #47
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
You're right, our 2 youngest daughters are now too old for the tube sled rides. Or so they think now. But the grandkids are gonna get a treat this weekend! Normally, I use the ATV's, but I might try the TW. I do have chains on it so it should work. I can't be greedy, but pulling the tube's or sleds behind a snowmobile like you have would be fun!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #48
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Hemingway Butte OHV Trails

If you have some time, popcorn, and a drink, here is the full length version of my ride at the Hemingway Butte OHV trail system in December 2012. The shorter version is in my previous Hemingway Butte post.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #49
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Desert Ride with Admiral and Son

The stars, sun and moon finally aligned and I was able to get a ride in with Son #3. First time since he bought his KX250F last fall. As you will see in the video, youth and
a more powerful motorcycle = me being left in the dust. Often!

The good news, I'm so sore that I don't even feel my normal aches and pains!

Bad news is, I got new aches and pains! Time heals all wounds, right?

Finally got to test my new 55T sprocket rigorously. Love a lot. Got me easily up this little hill . . . though I have to take the correct fork!

But not this one. I call this hill the "Widow Maker". Had enough gear, just to much loose dirt and rocks. I was oh so close to making it!

I was on my own for a while until my son and his buddy caught up to me. It would be the last time I'd be in the lead without holding them up.

Can you see the rabbit? If you have an imagination that is!

With all the folks at the trail head, we only ran into 2 small groups the whole day.

#3 having a little fun. I tried to jump too, but #3 said I only got both wheels off the ground about 2 inches. Oh well, I'm a chicken anyway.

Sand and whoops! Double devil diablo x2. Though never comfortable with either element, I am getting better riding in it.

Had a fun day of riding with son #3.

Enjoy

Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #50
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Tiddie Springs (March 2013)

Time to get ready for the summer, so the wife and I decided to test some of our equipment from the winter hiatus. (And some new stuff too!)
Besides some great riding, we got to see Tiddie Springs, couple of old miner/ranching cabin sites (learned some history), geocaching, and got to see some wild mustangs to boot.

First things first, found a little issue with the clutch cable on my pre-ride inspection. Good thing I bought a new one over the winter.
Broken clutch cable out on the trail may have made things interesting.

Then we loaded up the new to us "Dual-Purpose" mule trailer. Gonna come in handy hauling the ATV's, TW and the 4 leg mules.

A few views on the way to the springs

About 6 miles in, we made it to Tiddie Springs. As you can see, Tiddie or Tiddy Springs is spelled differently. Maps spell it one way, sign spells it another.
Who cares about the spelling anyway. I don't.

Looked like an old structure next to the springs

Departed the springs heading east and caught a great view of Hayden Peak (I think) S.E. of Silver City, ID.
Resized to 94% (was 1024 x 580) - Click image to enlarge

Lots of cool rock formations too

Found a few geocaches along the way too

Ran into our first old cabin site. Nothing special on the outside. You can tell it had been "upgraded" over the years

View of the inside. Drywall ripped off exposing wood on the inside. And this is where it got interesting.

Couldn't quite make out the writing at the very top, but easy to read the date written in 1922

Found some interesting newspaper "wallpaper". Tried to find a date on the newspapers, but couldn't

However, with a little investigative work from the box score of the baseball game, I guessed the newspaper was from around 1929.
Teams were the Philadelphia A's vs. the Chicago White Sox. The game was played on August 24th, 1929. Click here for the box score
and here for a little history of the Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Oakland A's.

About a mile later we came across the second cabin site. People were already here so we didn't stay long, but the door to the cabin was open
so I took a few photo's of the inside. This cabin appears to be used by ranchers as it was in fairly good shape.

Wife and I took another timeout and found another cache in the area

And one of Georgie at the next cache down the road a ways

Our ride is just about over, but we still have some good riding on the way back to camp

With a couple miles to go, I was kind of in la la land not paying attention to too much, when all of a sudden off to my left, I spot some
wild mustangs. Kinda cool in my book.

They were nice enough to just stand there so I could get a couple photo's. I feel like getting a haircut right now for some reason!

During the night a cold front moved through and rocked the camper around some. Can't hardly tell a storm blew through during the night
by the view the next morning

But then again, there was some evidence!

Well, I hope enjoy looking as much as we did riding.

Take care all.

Video of the ride

Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #51
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Nice pic of Mrs. Admiral.

The old cabins are cool. Very good to explore.

And the wild horses are great also. Haven't seen those yet.

Nice pics.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #52
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Final Chapter

Tiddie Springs II (Late March)

In early March the wife and I did an overnight camp trip and riding in the Tiddie Springs area of the Owyhee Mtns. north of Silver City (see above post). We knew we wanted to come back to do more exploring of the area before it gets too hot and infested with Rattle Snakes (according to my wife's fears), so we chose to go back in late March.

Prelude to day 1. I lead off with a water obstacle to get you laughing.

My wife at the Kane Springs mud puddle

Before

During

and After

I about fell off my TW laughing. She got soaked, but was a great sport about it. She hates deep water, but loves mud puddles

Ok, now that I fully embarrassed by wife, I'll move on. (Just for the record, if it would have been me, I would have posted the photo's and video's also) I'm pretty sure I would

Here's a shot of the tracks we rode for the 2 days

We arrived later on Thursday night than we wanted, but when we got there, Rocky (fellow TW rider) was all setup (photo actually taken after day 1 ride, but included it here for the story)

Our little spot in the sagebrush

Never met Rocky before, so we made our introductions, talked for a while, they we all went to sleep for the night ready to go riding the next day

Day 1, the riding begins

View heading south on Tiddie Springs road. Can't beat this early season weather

Rocky all geared up

We arrived at Tiddie Springs for a snack

After Tiddie Springs, we headed west up to the ridge through some left over winter snow and mud. On top of the ridge Rocky flagged down
some other riders to get a road condition report of what the roads were like up ahead (Black Mtn Rd). I didn't take any photo's while on Black Mtn rd.

Stopped back at camp for a quick stop half way through the day

After lunch we headed back out on the ride. Rocky mentioned going on a quick side trip up to a mine. The mine wasn't much but a couple of small digs
in the hillside, but it had great views

We will all head to the Joyce Livestock Co. cabin on this road tomorrow. For today, Rocky decides to head back to camp while me and the wife decide
to continue riding

Wife and I continue on the days ride and decide to grab a few geocaches in the area that we skipped from our previous ride

George keeping a lookout for us at the first cache

Can you spot the thing with 2 ears??

Wife hiding something? Can never get to far from civilization, she hiding her cell phone from me at the first cache. Trying to check her txts. Bad Girl!

And a quick shot of our second geocache we found before heading back to camp for the evening

Earlier in the day my wife had mentioned something to Rocky about riding out here and finding some kind of grave or something.
After dinner, the wife and I decided to walk around camp when low and behold, we find a grave. Albeit a family pet. Still a grave!

Day 2

Well, we were suppose to meet up with heyduke and my oldest daughter today. We kind of expected heyduke the day before, but weren't real sure.
Rocky was able to make some kind of cell contact with heyduke and he was in an area about 12 miles away. So we headed in the direct of Kane Springs
where we eventually met up with him. My daughter was suppose to be at camp around 11:00 a.m., but was a no show when we got there. She showed up
around 1:30 p.m.

So, with the gang all rounded up, we head towards the Joyce Livestock Co cabin. Here we all are at the top of the summit of the road I mentioned in day 1,
south of the mine

Great view of the Owyhee Mtns. and of Hayden Peak

Wife and I had previously went by the cabin, but didn't stay long as there were other folks there. Today we get to walk around and spend some time.
Here's a couple interesting photo's in and around the cabin

After visiting the cabin, we again decide to take separate ways back to camp. Rocky and heduke go back the way we came, wife, daughter and I
take a different route.

Day before, wife and I rode on the road in the upper left, S200. We had to open and close a gate and saw S240 road which runs right beside
S200, didn't have any gates to ride through. So, though we decided to skip the gates and ride S240. We now know why S240 isn't as wore down
as S200, steeper and rockier. Alot!

Here's a closer view of the girls negotiating the steep rocky decent, which I had already ridden.

Well, we made it back to camp safe and sound, had a little dinner, and enjoyed the rest of the night chatting with Rocky around the campfire

Had a great time with Rocky, heduke, my wife and daughter. So concludes the Admiral's adventures. The End

Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #53
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Old Cabin is really cool!

Hey Admiral -- that old cabin is a really cool find. Neat that it is still in good shape and you are welcome to stay. Great post.

Wife and I had previously went by the cabin, but didn't stay long as there were other folks there. Today we get to walk around and spend some time.
Here's a couple interesting photo's in and around the cabin

Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #54
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Juniper Mtn-Bull Basin

Remote:4. Far removed in connection or relevance: a cause remote from everyday concerns." (per freedictionary.com) And so it was!

It's been late March since I've been able to get a TW ride scheduled. All my time in April and the first part of May has been spent horsing around (Mule Style), saddle riding and on a wagon train.

Well, this past weekend brought a new "TWist" into the wagon train, a shower trailer & re-supply mission. I wasn't able participate on this 9 day wagon train, but I did have the weekend available to re-supply and bring the "hunt'in camp" shower trailer for all the participants to use. However, I got excited when my wife suggested we bring our more modern overland travel equipment!

Now, this is not our usual way of taking the TW & ATV, but it worked.

If not overloaded with 2,000 pounds of water, TW, ATV, and camper on truck, it sure looked like "the Clampett's go camping"!

After a 3 hours we arrive at camp.

After setting up the shower trailer, my wife and I decided to head for the hills for a short ride before it got dark.

Our destination for the evening ride would be Juniper Mtn for the views and to find a cache.

Rode past this cool lookin cabin on the way up to Juniper. Appears to be occupied too!

Made it too an overlook near the cache. Windy and chilly, but great views. Remote!

and my wife finds the cache

Day 2 After finding the cache, we headed back to camp having not made it all the way to Juniper Mtn. About a mile short. So the next day we head back in that direction. Found this tower at the top of Juniper Mtn.

With several more hours to go before we have to head back to camp, hookup the trailer and go home, we decide to head to Bull Basin. Remote!

Here we are riding through the Juniper's on Juniper Mtn!!

After the Tiddie Springs mud puddle's, I imagine my wife was disappointed by this water crossing. Still great riding though.

Starting to descend off Juniper Mtn into Bull Basin. Remote!

Guess this jeep trail could be described as the "jeep trail-less traveled"!

We finally arrive at Bull Basin Camp. Lots of history here too. Additional info from Bull Basin Geocache www.geocaching.com (One of the more colorful residents of Bull Basin was a Norwegian immigrant named Oley Skamfer who was known for his smelly homemade corned beef. He worked both Bull Basin and Crutcher Crossing for the owners from approximately 1920 till he died in 1954. Oley was well known in the area and became one of Jordan Valley’s famous “characters”. The remains of some of the very old structures including a log cabin could be seen as recently as 2005 but are now gone. Besides the corral the only structure now at the site is a more recent small bunkhouse.)

The newer bunkhouse at Bull Basin Camp. As mention in the link above, we could no longer find the old log cabin. We respected the No Trespassing signs and took the photo's from outside of the corrals.

Though I couln't tell it at the time, the door to the cabin had been left open. If we would have seen that, we would have gone and closed the door. Guess that's the price of posting No Trespassing signs eh?

Juniper Tree cemetery. Lots of burnt Juniper's from a hugh wildland fire about 5 years ago.

While headed back to camp, from Juniper Mtn we can see South Mtn in the distance with some snow still visible on the south facing slope.

Zoomed in!

This is all of the photo's we took and had an excellent trip. One thing we had not anticipated on the ride was just how remote this area is. Except for at camp, we did not see one single person the whole time...and that was fine by us! Very very remote.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #55
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,453
Thank for the pics, looks nice and green!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #56
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Hey Admiral, can't believe I just stumbled on to this Thread. A wonderful Thread indeed. You know I sometimes reflect how much I miss my TW, I had it for 13 years ( sold it to my daughter's Ex boyfriend) rode the snot out of that thing. Now reading this I know I miss my TW; it is a great short guys mule.

You are doing what I use to do many years ago go out with my truck and camper and go ride my TW. As I a aging faster than faster than I like to admit, but you style is looking good......... again.

Keep it up, great stuff!

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #57
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Howdy Sam,

Glad you enjoyed my thread. I've followed your treads quite a bit. I especially liked your Idaho Ride North to South the dirty way and your ride south of the border. Your Idaho ride has given me a lot of future ride idea's!
Had other plans, but had given some thought of joining you guys on your Prairie ride a couple weekends ago. Also hoping to join you all one of these years at Ladybugs Hell's Canyon gathering. Problem with the Hell's Canyon gathering is it's during one of our annual mule camping and riding weeks. I split time between the two different types of mules!

Anyway, hope you keep riding and posting photo's of your adventure's. Good stuff they are!

Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #58
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Thank for the pics, looks nice and green!
Glad you enjoyed Bob. I wasn't expecting so much green grass when we decsended into the basin. I suspect it won't be green much longer once summer sets in an dries it all up! Take care.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #59
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Crutcher's Crossing

This past weekend, my wife and I decided to go back to Owyhee County, in extreme SW Idaho, as a follow up to our earlier in the month ride around Juniper Mtn. Though we would have to ride in some of the previous areas, we wanted to do more exploring of the area before the heat of summer sets in, particularly Crutcher's Crossing.

Day 1:

Our plan for the day after departing camp, was to head south on Juniper Mtn, veer SE towards Red Canyon, head west to Bull Basin Camp and south towards Crutcher's Crossing. Problem was, when we got to Bull Basin Camp, there was a no trespassing sign posted on the fence, which we thought we had to go through in order to head south. We scratched our heads for a while and decided to keep heading west towards the C Ranch and see if there was another access road to the crossing. Well, we didn't find one, and with the day getting long, we decided to head back to camp and study the maps/gps and try and figure a way to the crossing. Of, course we still had some adventuring to accomplish before camp.

Our weekends routes

After passing Juniper Mtn, something caught my eye. At first I thought it was a mine, but turned out to be some kind of dugout and not a mine entrance

What ever this place was, (guessing a cowboy camp and now days a hunting camp) it was still neat

Old corral

As we headed south near Rough Mtn., we came to a crossroads. Actually, the BLM has marked these old jeep trails really well. We would run into signs like this at almost every intersection

On to Red Canyon and Bull Basin. Through the natural gap in the distance is the Owyhee River Canyon. Took 2 days to get down there, but we eventually made it

My wife and Jessie Dog as we head west towards Red Canyon

With the area being so remote, we can just park on the jeep trail for lunch without worrying about blocking the trail. Only saw 4 other ATV's the first morning and 2 SUV's the next day.

Beautiful view of Owyhee River Canyon from our lunch spot.

Continuing west after lunch towards Bull Basin, we dip down into Red Canyon. Really pretty this time of year

Of course we've been geocaching along the way. Here is one after we left Red Canyon. Georgie trying to keep cool in the shade of the tree

Peter Creek. Not as deep of a descent as Red Canyon, but still pretty

From here we made it to Bull Basin Camp where we couldn't decide if we were allowed to go through the private property. So, at the time we decided to keep heading west and eventually ended up at the C Ranch (no photo's).

At this point weren't not lost lost, but we do end up on a dead end spur and had to double back before taking a different trail back towards the east. So after a few hours of riding in the middle of some Juniper tree's, we come to another marked intersection. Well, wife said it was only 5:30 so we headed to the Middle Fork of the Owyhee River

As the wife approaches the river, Georgie guides her into were I parked

Jessie Dog takes a little break in the water to cool off.

So does Georgie and my wife

Here is the Middle Fork of the Owyhee River. I bet it's close to bone dry during the heat of the summer. Not to deep at the end of May

Neat rock formations in these canyon's

and another rock formation. Very pretty spot if you want to cowboy camp. Ain't getting no 5th wheel camper down here!!

Well, after stopping here for a while, we called it a day and headed back to camp.

Day 2:
Next morning, the lovely couple is ready to head off and make it to Crutcher's Crossing. (Note the darkening clouds)

Today we take the direct route south over Juniper Mtn, past Bull Basin Camp and start our descent into Crutcher's Crossing. After some lengthy discussion, we decided we could pass through the no trespassing area as long as we stayed on the road. The road to Crutcher's Crossing is a corridor road through the wilderness area, so we had to be allowed...right? I think we're ok

We have to be ok. In the far right of this photo is a SUV approaching from the crossing. We talked with them for a while, and they've been here before and agreed that it's just fine to pass through Bull Basin Camp as long as we stay on the road

Another view of the canyon as we're getting closer

The river is in sight!!! And not to soon. I've already dropped the TW on the rocks while descending. I didn't fall and didn't notice any damage (Yet), so I kept going. I was however thinking to myself how steep this is and how am I gonna get back up after dropping the TW already. Then I started to use my brain...I have a dual sprocket setup with a 55T to get me out of trouble. Yeah, that's what I'll do, change to my trail sprocket. Hadn't needed it up to this point

Looking left, I can see the old grain bin near the homestead site. Not sure how or why they needed a grain bin down here. Must of been hard to get it here but there is also no real place to grow crops! You can also see the road on the far side across the river (south).

And here we are at the old Crutcher's Crossing homestead site. Not much left of the old wood structure's which burned in the 2007 as a result of a large range fire started by lightning. This homestead started by some cowboy/ranchers back in the 1880's to drive cattle across the river, and hold them up in the winter. Legend also mentions that horse and cattle thief's used this spot as well.

You can't actually cross the river from the homestead site. Maybe once upon a time you could, but now you have to head down stream a few hundred yards in order to actually cross the river. We didn't cross, but had our lunch along the banks down by the river. Great views of the canyon!!

Georgie spending a little time in the water cooling off. By the way, it wasn't really that warm and the clouds are starting to build

After lunch, I spent about 10 minutes changing to my 55T sprocket. What a great mod this has turned out to be. I give full credit to mrgizmow and all the others which pioneered this dual sprocket setup

Well, as you can see by my wife's rain gear, that it started to rain on our way out. Hard rain with winds. Ended up raining all the way back to camp. About 17-18 miles or so. And good and slow just to make sure I got good and wet!

Wife also carried all the dogs back out of Crutcher's Crossing. I was pretty nervous making it out of there on the TW and didn't need a dog on the back distracting me. Ended up making it out just fine. TW tractored right on up the hill without skipping a beat. My heart on the other hand...

Well folks, that just about wraps up this ride report. Just one thing of note though, after we got back to camp and unloaded our machine's, I noticed my metal water bottle had a new shape to it. Apparently dropping your TW on the rock's, can cause some damage. Glad it was the water bottle and not the TW...or me!!

TheAdmiral screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 10:28 AM
Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #60
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

We made it! Zimmer Creek to East Mtn Lookout

I'll post up a video of this ride in a few days. This is our ride to the B-47 crash site, Packer John lookout, East Mtn lookout and back.

Well, I had a great day of riding with my friend Rick and one of my son's, Kyle. It was not a hard day of riding, but a long day of riding, which made it feel like a hard day of riding! We left around 0945 and got back to the rigs around 2000. Miles wise only between 110-120, but one of the longest over 100 mile days of riding I can remember. Good time!

I've rode most of our days route last year solo, but wanted to show my son some of the sights. He usually rides out in the desert, but wanted to get a taste for some mountain riding. A taste he got!

Our first destination for the day was Packer John Lookout and the old Air Force B-47 crash site. Rick and I visited these sites a couple years ago. On the way we ran into the first of 2 obstacles on the day. We were able to easily ride around to the right.

Made it to the old crash site. A few smaller pieces remain, but nothing much larger than a couple feet long. For additional crash site info

Rick (Truelight) at the crash site

On towards Packer John.
The "Stig" LOL (My son Kyle) at Packer John Lookout

Rick facing the crash site in the distance from Packer John

Oregon Air Force well inside Idaho borders keeping tabs on me!

Parked for lunch half way between Packer John lookout and East Mtn lookout

Distant view north towards Cascade and Cascade Lake, Idaho

Viewing west across the valley is Snowbank mountain with the FAA Radar ball visible on the top right

To get a perspective of the distance from us, here is a pano of Snowbank Mtn and Cascade

After lunch and couple more hours of riding, we make it to East Mtn lookout. To get to the lookout, we seperated for a while at the East Mtn Way Trail head.
Kyle rode 9.2 miles on the East Mtn Way trail to the lookout, while Rick and I rode 18 miles of logging roads to the lookout. Kyle arrived
about 5-10 minutes before us

Another tree blocked access by road to the lookout. Kyle found an ATV trail which also led up to the lookout. Here he is walking
back up after guiding us in. (Note to anyone who visits here. Could you bring a flag and replace the tattered one here. I plan to
do it myself, but not sure when I'll get back).

In this photo from last year's ride, you will notice how much of my view was obstructed by the smoke from all the forest fires.This year we had a pretty clear view

Resized to 82% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlarge

This is why I'd like to replace the flag

Resized to 82% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlarge

The "Stig" unmasked

I was here last year and didn't remember seeing this. Wonder where this marked trail from the lookout leads?

Aha, it leads to the "LaPooper". Structurally sound outside, business seating area inside has deteriorated tho!

FUEL FUEL FUEL

This is something I've not mentioned up to now. I have a larger gas tank and knew I'd have no problem making the trip on 1 tank of gas, but Rick with the stock TW tank was concerned this trip would be at the outer limits of the TW's range, so I brought an extra gallon in case Rick needed it (I had more cargo space available). Kyle has a desert tank on his KTM so no problem there right? Wrong!

Kyle (Stig) ran out first, so he only put in only 1/2 gallon in just in case Rick would need it later. Rick in fact ran did run out of gas, but when he did, it was down hill back to the rigs and he coasted back. Kyle ran out again but coasted down to the rigs as well.

Well, this concludes our ride. By looking at the smiling faces, can you tell who was point man on the ride?

Hint, I might not have any dirt on my face. Giggle
But these two do!!

Had a great ride guys, thanks for coming.