Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Yep, they got the bearing as well. Pretty much always comes with the strut mount. The bearing is plastic which I think is pretty nuts.

That sounds like the insulator, not the bearing. Stan's link let me find the strut components, here:

http://www.gmpartsclub.com/parts-cat...ion-components

Hopefully the replacement doesn't have a plastic bearing, but I've heard of some super-cheap struts that do. KYB is supposed to be better than that, though.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
That sounds like the insulator, not the bearing. Stan's link let me find the strut components, here:

http://www.gmpartsclub.com/parts-cat...ion-components

Hopefully the replacement doesn't have a plastic bearing, but I've heard of some super-cheap struts that do. KYB is supposed to be better than that, though.
Bearing is made of plastic.

photo washer_zps08e7f552.jpg
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bearing is made of plastic.

How incredibly cheesy of GM. Sorry. Here's a pic from the acdelco site, showing the upper mount with bearing. The bearing looks just like yours, just a different color.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #19
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,352
I'm still thinking tweaked frame... any signs of cracked/blistered paint near the strut mount? If something was pushed out of the plane it should be in, a bearing wouldn't last long. If your car was hit hard enough to break a motor mount FROM A REAR END COLLISION, it was hit hard enough to bend a frame. Maybe not much, maybe nearly impossible to detect, but enough to trash new parts.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #20
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
I'm still thinking tweaked frame... any signs of cracked/blistered paint near the strut mount? If something was pushed out of the plane it should be in, a bearing wouldn't last long. If your car was hit hard enough to break a motor mount FROM A REAR END COLLISION, it was hit hard enough to bend a frame. Maybe not much, maybe nearly impossible to detect, but enough to trash new parts.
Aztek has a weird motor design. On impact the motor will tilt under the car instead going through the firewall. Downside. Motor mounts torsion mounts are very easily broken when struck from behind. I was worried it was bent but the frame was measured by two different body shops.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #21
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
I have run into this problem several times and it was usually traced back to where the lower part of the spring seats against the strut.Usually there is a rubber in between the two that could be missing or worn thru.When the wheel is turned the spring slips on the dry metal and creates all kinds of racket.

A quick check to see if that is where the noise is coming from is to spray a liberal amount of WD 40 all the way around that spring seat so it can leak down between the spring and seat.Don't worry about putting to much on as the first time you go thru a water puddle it will be pretty much gone.

Hope this helps
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #22
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post
I have run into this problem several times and it was usually traced back to where the lower part of the spring seats against the strut.Usually there is a rubber in between the two that could be missing or worn thru.When the wheel is turned the spring slips on the dry metal and creates all kinds of racket.

A quick check to see if that is where the noise is coming from is to spray a liberal amount of WD 40 all the way around that spring seat so it can leak down between the spring and seat.Don't worry about putting to much on as the first time you go thru a water puddle it will be pretty much gone.

Hope this helps
On my Pontiac that would mean lubing all the crap that accumulates in there. Dirt...rocks and all turned to cement by the calcium chloride, can't even get it out at the car wash, have to physically pick and scrub when I do the tires switchover.

Well now I know that I probably have plastic bearings. I guess I'll see them when I replace the struts. Coming soon, they need replacing at 35,000 miles.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #23
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

What's so crazy is that this car had 110k on it when I was hit. My struts never creaked or popped prior to having the new ones installed. The fact that the bearing is plastic is beyond logic. Not even an aftermarket alternative with metal. If you have someone in the car turning the wheel slowly, you can watch the spring turn, get stuck, creak, then pop into position. ACDelco mounts ordered on their dime, and they have a program that allows them to look at any shop manual. Why this wasn't done the first time. At least it's just my time and not my money being wasted.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #24
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
On my Pontiac that would mean lubing all the crap that accumulates in there. Dirt...rocks and all turned to cement by the calcium chloride, can't even get it out at the car wash, have to physically pick and scrub when I do the tires switchover.
Once everything is clean, would it help to spray everything with chain lube a couple of times a year so the CaCl2 can't stick?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Once everything is clean, would it help to spray everything with chain lube a couple of times a year so the CaCl2 can't stick?
Yeah...got to oil the whole car and start using that Salt-Away I bought before the radiator disintegrates just like he AC condenser did. I do have a faint squeak on the RH side with steering turned, I may have found it through this thread. Darn more work on that POS....will have to wait for tires switchover. Maybe another brake job at the same time....would be the third one in 35,000 miles.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #26
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Frame measurement checks a few reference points on the frame, there still could be some twist to the area where the bearing goes. Looking at the failed bearing, if the wear is on one side, the frame was bent.

I also recommend getting a strut bearing from GM, often the aftermarket does not have access to the original design plastic types.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Frame measurement checks a few reference points on the frame, there still could be some twist to the area where the bearing goes. Looking at the failed bearing, if the wear is on one side, the frame was bent.

I also recommend getting a strut bearing from GM, often the aftermarket does not have access to the original design plastic types.

Rod
Done. I'll have them look at the bearings on disassembly. Both sides are making noise, which is why I believe the mounts were not installed correctly.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,278
FWIW, there is a Pontiac Aztek fan club: http://www.aztekfanclub.com/

They even have a garage section with the tires-wheels-suspension category. I expect someone there may have had a similar problem. No guarantees. Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #29
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Why this wasn't done the first time. At least it's just my time and not my money being wasted.

I think this is the point that sieg was trying to make earlier...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
I think this is the point that sieg was trying to make earlier...
no kidding. I was unaware this software existed until they told me the other day.

The aztekfanclub.com is totally defunct. you cannot access their site, meaning you can't join??? I've been trying for months, finally found an email to send to and still, nothing. So I can't post on the site. The Yahoo group is garbage. no one there spins wrenches, they just go to the dealer. Thanks for finding it though, if I hadn't known about it, I'd be there now thanks to you STan!!