Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #91
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx View Post
So what are you impressions 19 vs 21?

That is scary, the big wheel parts are in hand!

By the way, how do you like the Shinkos, have you had a chance to test them out. I need to get some new rubber for the mutant and these are on the short list.
I can't really comment on the wheels and tires yet, not riding this thing much. Its very smooth running on asphalt and the seat dropped an inch or two with the wheel swap.

I think the Thinja is just about done. It only took a year. All the little stuff was taking way longer than necessary so instead on building my own crashbars, skidplate and radiator guard, I bought them instead Sorry to be a pussy about that.

The SW Motech protection designed for the Versys bolted up ok. I had to sawzall the left fairing mount into submission to install the crash bars, though. The Versys rad plate I bought ended up being a pain to make work but I ended up with a little bit of side protection from the angle brackets that I had to make to mount the thing.

Thanks for all the input, amigos!

dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #92
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,278
Thinja part deux

After a failed delievry service by u-ship, Eric Farmer got the next bid & the bike finally arrived in AZ yesterday afternoon, Dave was a joy to deal with & really did a nice job on this thing. The lack of steering angle almost caused me to dump it leaving the driveway for the 1st time, it's sloped, I did my lean left clutch off & luckily the motor has very good response, left a squirrel mark on my driveway & my wife thought I was showing off I was just trying not to be that guy that dumps a new bike in the parking lot. Once rolling, it'sa very cool bike. I'm about to go for a mild ride before I start taking it apart to weld the mounts on for the versys passenger pegs etc, etc, etc
My plans are to follow KTMKLX's lead and extend the swing arm a bit, inner fender mods for increased suspension travel without making it so tall I need platform shoes, & steel footpeg mounts, the aluminum scares me.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #93
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like the thinja has found a good new home. Bring on Part 2!

here is the last I saw of her as she headed out West.

The shipper didn't quite know what to make of it as i explained what it is to him I liked his professionalism but not his "no dirt roads" policy. He said he lacked 4wd but i think he didn't want to get his diamondplate dirty.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #94
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,015
4wd is not need on dirty roads.I think he is scared he may find a new obsession.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #95
4play
Next?

The mild ride was awesome! 80mph cruising for 40 miles one way to some rocky two track with some shallow water crossings. It cruises the hwy awesome for full unbalanced knobbies, effortless 80mph...
Off road, it's suprisingly stable, the front suspension is decent, I will revalve for my weight, the rear, well it needs a bit of work or I need to slow down. Remember I said, how stable it was? well that lead to speeds ramping up, carrying the front end over the shallow stream crossings & when I came to a ravine, I just grabbed some throttle to carry the front end & the rear hit a bit harder than I was thinking it would, I heard/felt something so I stopped & I was missing a bit of hardware. The rear tire ate the licese plate light & the plate. My buddy Eric thought is was hilarious.

This pics was after I tie wrapped the turn signal to the frame.

I was planning to do something different back there, but that is not how I wanted to remove it.

Like everyone says, the engine/trans are marvelous. I have owned a 990 & other than for the money, I would not trade this for one. Just the shear weight difference ~150lbs is huge. With the rear suspension sorted out, this bike really has some potential. When I owned the 990 it was a second bike, you had to own a smaller bike for the real offroad stuff. With this bike, I could see it easily being an only bike. Like Sanjo says, it can do singletrack (not my 1st pick for it, but it can do it) & do 80mph down the hwy all day long.

4play screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 06:13 PM
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #96
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
That is one way to get the project started. Glad to see some new Ninja stuff posted, I need a Ninja fix.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #97
4play
Next?

I'm anxious to start on the +2" swingarm/inner fender/R-1 shock.
Footpeg mounts are next. Not sure I want to move them forward much from the Verys mounts, my knee braces hit the Ninja tank ridges already,
Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #98
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Like everyone says, the engine/trans are marvelous. I have owned a 990 & other than for the money, I would not trade this for one. Just the shear weight difference ~150lbs is huge. With the rear suspension sorted out, this bike really has some potential. When I owned the 990 it was a second bike, you had to own a smaller bike for the real offroad stuff. With this bike, I could see it easily being an only bike. Like Sanjo says, it can do singletrack (not my 1st pick for it, but it can do it) & do 80mph down the hwy all day long.
Welcome to the ninja off road group

I have a 950se and came to the same conclusion with the ninja, it's like 80% of an se as far as capability.

Peg relocation, extended swingarm would get it really close to se territory.

Bump the rear sprocket up a couple of teeth and it will really tractor off road. I'm running a 52t ironman. Gets rid of that inherent rumble around 3000 rpm that every ninja 650 vertical twin that I've ridden has.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #99
4play
Next?

Any of you using the SW bars & Versys pegs have a good solution for the fake brake pedal issue? scroll up a few pics & look at the proximity of the mounting bolt & the lower bar. It scared me a few times, pusing on the bolt or bar did nothing to slow the bike. Besides a bigger folding pedal end, I was thinking about a small plate that prevents my boot from snagging the wrong surface.
I may lower the pegs a bit when I build my brackets, but after another ride today I am not thinking I want to move them forward. When I stand, my knees are hard into the tank ridge as it is.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #100
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
How do you like it compared to your 600?
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #101
4play
Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
How do you like it compared to your 600?

It'll never come close to the KTM for hauling the mail in gnarly offroad, with 14" of Pete Russell tuned suspension & just under 300lbs full of fuel & tools. The horsepower is about the same, but delivered totally different. On the other hand, I wouldn't even consider taking the KTM on a cross country trip that the Thinja can do with ease. I've put 200 miles on it including running errands today & the ergos are a bit funky, but I'm really digging the bike. Part of what kicked this off was my wife mentioned she would like to go on an occaisional ride, we used to cruise a bit but she lost interest. This bike is capable of the two up runs & yet it's something I will enjoy riding when she doesn't want to go. AZ has so many trails to explore that occaisionally we pop out 100 miles from the trucks and it's getting dark. Having the option of comfortably slabbing back to the trucks (or home with this thing) will be nice.

It begins

4play screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 08:18 PM
Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #102
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

making room for your toes

I was thinking of shortening the mount stand-off and tweaking/bending the crash bar inwards, or making an oversize folding brake lever.

At least you quit riding it before you snapped the pegs off
Old 03-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #103
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
The mild ride was awesome! 80mph cruising for 40 miles one way to some rocky two track with some shallow water crossings. It cruises the hwy awesome for full unbalanced knobbies, effortless 80mph...
Off road, it's suprisingly stable, the front suspension is decent, I will revalve for my weight, the rear, well it needs a bit of work or I need to slow down. Remember I said, how stable it was? well that lead to speeds ramping up, carrying the front end over the shallow stream crossings & when I came to a ravine, I just grabbed some throttle to carry the front end & the rear hit a bit harder than I was thinking it would, I heard/felt something so I stopped & I was missing a bit of hardware. The rear tire ate the licese plate light & the plate. My buddy Eric thought is was hilarious.

This pics was after I tie wrapped the turn signal to the frame.

I was planning to do something different back there, but that is not how I wanted to remove it.

4play i have a rat bike too, and hit a big wash out at about 40 mph. Got the front end over but the rear took a hard hit. My bike is running the stock ninja wheels and the rear has a flat spot from the hit. It also cracked the motor where it bolts to the front motor mount. Just letting you know so you can check.
2fast4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #104
4play
Next?

Yeah, this was nothing that violent, proper suspension would have soaked it up in stride. Hopefully I'll have it closer in a few weeks.

4play screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 08:38 PM
Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #105
DustyOne
Riding@6500' & up

Oddometer: 369
Can't remember from his build exactly.
But the front end was very dirt capable KTM best I recall

But what was the rear?

DustyOne is offline   Reply With Quote