Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #121
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 462
I'm a YZ kind of guy but at the ISDTRR in Tulsa acouple of weeks ago I spotted this number, so for your viewing pleasure:

This might come in handy:

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT: TAT SHAK

ARA - Adventure Riders of Arkansas
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #122
stroke.n.smoke
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Looking for color matched it 490 handguards, ones that wrap all the way around with aluminum bar in them. Can they still be bought, I checked maier plastics site and nothing it blue, not sure who else would have that blue. I guess if I can't find the right blue I can settle for white or black.
stroke.n.smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #123
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
WOW HOO I finally got a Craigslist deal.
1981 IT465 $500 looks great, just needs a little tlc to get it back on the trails.
I do need one part I have not been able to find. A Gas Cap the # is NLA from Yamaha any ideas on where I can get one?
Mr. Carts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #124
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Gas Cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Carts View Post
WOW HOO I finally got a Craigslist deal.
1981 IT465 $500 looks great, just needs a little tlc to get it back on the trails.
I do need one part I have not been able to find. A Gas Cap the # is NLA from Yamaha any ideas on where I can get one?
Try Speed and Sport. Google them.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #125
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Do you think I can get my IT465 plated for road use in California? It has never been in the system as it was just riden out on a ranch.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #126
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
The chances are very slim you could get a plate for it. We are in Kalifornia.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #127
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

What are my options for better lights?

I would like to go to 12 volt if possible. Can I get my lighting coil rewound to do this or is there a 12 volt lighting coil that I can install?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #128
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 462
With the advent off Cree and LED technology lighting is no longer an issue. Check out Baja Designs, Cyclops or google it and only your pocket book will slow you down. Might even just run 'em off a separate battery and forget the lighting coil thingy.

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT: TAT SHAK

ARA - Adventure Riders of Arkansas
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #129
Hungry Valley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
Can anyone elaborate a bit more specifically about the difference between the 465 and early 490 kickstart shaft that is prone to failure and the later 490 shaft that is an improved design? Even better might be some pictures comparing the two types.
As you can see from my above photos, my cases were totally wrecked due to a kicker problem. However, the kicker shaft that came out of the motor looks brand new. There is no indication of damage to the stopper tab at all.
I'd like to determine if perhaps the old shaft broke and caused all the damage and was then replaced, maybe with the improved part if I'm lucky. Or maybe my engine just had a different type of failure. I'm assuming that since I have the engine apart I should make sure that I have the improved kicker shaft to avoid any future problems. Any insight would be appreciated. I have big plans for this machine.
It's not the shaft that fails.It is the spring.The outer sidecase wears out and the gear is allowed to move too far on the shaft which shears the spring where it goes into the shaft.the sheared piece typically gets lodged between case and shaft pushing the back out of the case.I was able to bring mine back to spec with a shim against the worn out side case and a brass bushing inserted from the inside into the center case after some machining and tig welding. I had access to that stuff so it was the cheaper way for me to go.If you don't fix it right you will keep on breaking kickstarter return springs.Knowing the proper starting technique will save a lot of wear and tear on this area and you.I got where I always had the bike running in 3 kicks or less.
Hungry Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #130
rocketmanphil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
it490

Hi there !

I am new to the it world having come from the last dirt bike being an xr650r which had to go

I have now got another toy which is an 83 It490, so I will be interested in hearing from those that have done the rebuilds and improvements before as I am sure that I will run into the odd mistake of past and my own stuff ups

the intention is to build it and play ! so any thoughts and suggestions are welcome

cheers
You know he's on the level.
rocketmanphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #131
Earthmovin490s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
83 IT490K front legs

Best forum around! I'm looking to do a front disc brake conversion on my IT. Its not that IT don't like or think the drum brake isn't good enough, but I'm having a problem when I lose braking due to prolonged heat from hare scrambles and hare n hounds. Any suggestions? Thanks
Earthmovin490s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #132
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmovin490s View Post
Best forum around! I'm looking to do a front disc brake conversion on my IT. Its not that IT don't like or think the drum brake isn't good enough, but I'm having a problem when I lose braking due to prolonged heat from hare scrambles and hare n hounds. Any suggestions? Thanks
Did you install new brake shoes? I just checked my brake cable on my YZ465, and it has been sticking. I'm replacing shoes and the brake cable. I ordered a Motorcross style of shoes from EBC , # 508G. They are grooved to displace water, mud and maybe displace heat better. I guess I'll find out.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #133
Earthmovin490s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
You'll have to keep me posted on how the EBCs work out. You could be right about the grooves displacing the heat as well as water, mud and whatever else could plague braking systems. I'm not a big fan of changing away from OEM equipment, other than pipe, silencer and routine replacement parts, so I would definitely like to keep the front drum. Please keep us all up to date!
Earthmovin490s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #134
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,462
I just found some more scans for you guys to drool over

EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #135
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,275
Saweet! 1981 vintage?