Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Looks high tech to me.
You can do it with just a pointer but the DTI makes it quicker & easier. I built my first bicycle wheel a couple of months back with the aid of Zinn's MTB maintenance book. It was not too difficult & quite satisfying. I started out trueing it up with a pointer for reference & then realised, duh!, why not use my DTI. If I was doing it more frequently I would definitely get another cheap DTI & rig them up as above.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Cool, since your local, what are the chances you would be willing to do my Stinger's wheels?

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #18
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Cool, since your local, what are the chances you would be willing to do my Stinger's wheels?

Bring them by. What's a Stinger?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #19
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,699
Going by the number of people I have had to bid against for ebay spokes there are several people out there doing them. I would think the UK would have more wheel people than USA based on the history of bikes & cars but perhaps less based on population. The first wire wheels I was around were Brit cars & the guy doing them was a former British Leyland trained USA dealer mech on Austin-Healy/MG cars who went out on his own. I was a hang around guy there/then(early 60's) prior to later becoming a real (paid) wrencher myself.
In the USA there are not many wheel builders-except for bicycles or so it seems in web searches. I would not be surprised if a place like Buchanan's here probably uses more of their own spokes than they sell to specialty shops. Lots of specialty work like radiator repair is gone these days except for a few old & larger shops. Bent alloy auto rim repair has a few places doing it that have most of the business too. The high replacement cost of rims and volume available make for a good insurance repair trade. MC's are too few for nearly as much opportunity?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Spoke Length Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Going by the number of people I have had to bid against for ebay spokes there are several people out there doing them.
Not to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, but make sure you know the correct length and other dimensions before you order from an amateur or questionable supplier.

I've seen auctions on Ebay for "spokes that will fit any 16" rim" - which is impossible since the hub, rim used and lacing pattern ALL greatly affect the equation.

My recent wheel build was more complicated than average- all the spokes exit the hub outbound and are staggered up & down (when viewing from the side). This pattern requires alternating spokes of 2 different lengths AND two different elbows. The longer spoke also has more "throat" / a longer elbow to clear the upper row of spokes sharing the hub flange.

I sourced my spokes from one of the USA "specialty houses" - and they STILL SCREWED UP MY ORDER.

After lacing it correctly and bringing it halfway up to tension, the spokes were showing @ 1cm of thread above the nipple. Which means they're too short to be safe!

Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #21
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Bring them by. What's a Stinger?
Here's the one I'm working on. It's pretty rough though.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...204237&page=14

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #22
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

For me those would be relatively easy. I will admitt that I'm a bit nervous to start my BMW R75 rims as the rear offset scares me. Time will tell!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #23
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonroy View Post
Not to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, but make sure you know the correct length and other dimensions before you order from an amateur or questionable supplier.

I've seen auctions on Ebay for "spokes that will fit any 16" rim" - which is impossible since the hub, rim used and lacing pattern ALL greatly affect the equation.

My recent wheel build was more complicated than average- all the spokes exit the hub outbound and are staggered up & down (when viewing from the side). This pattern requires alternating spokes of 2 different lengths AND two different elbows. The longer spoke also has more "throat" / a longer elbow to clear the upper row of spokes sharing the hub flange.

I sourced my spokes from one of the USA "specialty houses" - and they STILL SCREWED UP MY ORDER.

After lacing it correctly and bringing it halfway up to tension, the spokes were showing @ 1cm of thread above the nipple. Which means they're too short to be safe!

If that's the case then why do wheel experts & spoke mfgs say to grind off any exposed tips? I am absolutely no expert as have only done a few car & bike wheels over the years. The Honda rims I just laced I used OEM Honda spokes of the known correct length & some not a the majority had to be ground off. The rim is quite true after I got done & I simply sprayed some primer on the ends to seal them. Is there something I'm missing here?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #24
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,906
Quote:
If that's the case then why do wheel experts & spoke mfgs say to grind off any exposed tips? I am absolutely no expert as have only done a few car & bike wheels over the years. The Honda rims I just laced I used OEM Honda spokes of the known correct length & some not a the majority had to be ground off. The rim is quite true after I got done & I simply sprayed some primer on the ends to seal them. Is there something I'm missing here?
I think he's saying that 1cm of thread is showing between the rim and the hub, not past the rim, so there is very little thread engagement.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #25
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
I think he's saying that 1cm of thread is showing between the rim and the hub, not past the rim, so there is very little thread engagement.
Yes, that's correct...thread engagement was not deep enough. This would also be the case if you had to grind off +/-1cm at the bottom of the nipple. And grinding off the excess is necessary to prevent the sharp ends poking through the rim strip into your innertube, etc.

Quote:
The Honda rims I just laced I used OEM Honda spokes of the known correct length & some not a the majority had to be ground off.
That's good you were working with OEM Honda spokes, kantuckid. My point is that it's way easier to get the wrong spokes - of course I'd trust an OEM source over 90% of the sellers on Ebay saying their spokes will fit your bike without knowing what your rim, hub & lacing pattern is.

Claytonroy screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 09:12 AM
Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #26
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Yep I was too quick to comment! Thanks
Most spoke sellers on ebay are in Asia