Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
I hope I am not boring anyone. I do know it is rather mundane shit at times.........but back to the forks.

Filled them up with 30wt as that is what the manual calls for to the proper amount.

I read somewhere to pump the forks about 15 to 20 times to get the air out of them. This is when I discovered that one fork leg had more oil in it than the other. Seems odd to me. I drained the forks and took measurements in the beaker again. Hmmmmmmmmm. The correct amount. Measuring from the top of the tube down to the oil level was about a 1/2" difference. I guess the maching from the factory wasn't as good as they said. Me pumpin aluminum. It was easier to do both at the same time.

Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On to the canisters. These are air forks with no springs. There is a high side and a low side to the pressure. They need to be somewhat accurate. I pulled out my Fox pump to adjust them accordingly. When you first put air into them you will hear a small pop which mean they are working.

You hook the pump up like this. It won't let air back feed and loose pressure. A nifty little pump.

All done. These are the original canister caps that came on the bike. They are in perfect shape. Thank God as the repops are about $100.

More to come.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
I pulled out my Fox pump to adjust them accordingly.

You hook the pump up like this. It won't let air back feed and loose pressure. A nifty little pump.

These are the original canister caps that came on the bike. They are in perfect shape. Thank God as the repops are about $100.
I like that Fox pump! I have a bicycle tire pump but I don't think it will work as well as your Fox pump.
I bought a factory service manual - it says to use 10 wt. fork oil. 30 wt? I guess you can vary the fork oil viscosity to affect the damping, but 30 wt seems heavy. Service manual states that fork oil level is variable, too.
My bike did not have those canister caps, they are neat. Make lots more pics of your bike build.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I then put in the fork seals using my uber expensive Yamaha seal driver tool.

I am getting ready to do my fork seals so I need a tool like that. I suppose it is only available from the top secret Yamaha factory works team. Scooter, any tips for installing new fork seals? I have never done this type of fork before.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #20
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
I like that Fox pump! I have a bicycle tire pump but I don't think it will work as well as your Fox pump.
I bought a factory service manual - it says to use 10 wt. fork oil. 30 wt? I guess you can vary the fork oil viscosity to affect the damping, but 30 wt seems heavy. Service manual states that fork oil level is variable, too.
My bike did not have those canister caps, they are neat. Make lots more pics of your bike build.
I checked my service manual that came with the bike. It calls for 10-30wt oil. I set the fork oil height to the recommended specs as a starting point. Back in them olden days alot of the bikes used 30wt. CZ comes to mind. I can allways take out oil easier than disassembling the whole front end to add oil. I saw the rubber canister caps on ebay from I forget who. They were $100 per pair. Luckily mine are perfect.

Scootern29 screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 10:59 AM Reason: xtra stuff
Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I am getting ready to do my fork seals so I need a tool like that. I suppose it is only available from the top secret Yamaha factory works team. Scooter, any tips for installing new fork seals? I have never done this type of fork before.

These forks aren't anything different really. They have a snap ring and a spacer/washer on top of the seals. I had to drill a small hole in the washer and put in a small screw to pry it out. It was stuck from all the years of neglect. Send me a few bucks and I can send you the original works drawing of the seal installation tool. You will have to burn it when done though. Don't want that in the wrong hands.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Both installed in mock up, ready for some oil and air pressure.

Nice fork boots. I need new ones, too. NLA from Yamaha, but I suppose any ol' boot will work - fork tubes are 36 mm and the upper end of the sliders are 55.5 mm, so I'll see what I can find.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice fork boots. I need new ones, too. NLA from Yamaha, but I suppose any ol' boot will work - fork tubes are 36 mm and the upper end of the sliders are 55.5 mm, so I'll see what I can find.
I actually was in a hurry and bought these from DC Plastics. They are generic Daystars. I really don't like them. I found a set on Thevintagespoke.com. They are for TT500's and they are the same as the 400C and look correct. They are like $39. I more than likely will swap mine out.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was waiting for a special box from DC Plastics with some stuff in it. It arrived and I got a little excited and moved away from the forks to work on the seat.
After

More cool stuff waiting for me to mess with. I am getting excited.
Nice seat and rear fender. My seat is okay, looks like it has been re-upholstered, not too bad looking. I had a guy in town do the seat on my KLX300 and he did a fantastic job.
I want new plastics. Saw a set on ebay for $180, maybe I'll get 'em. I will check DC Plastics, too. Keep up the good work!
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My next order of business was..........I am not sure, so I worked on the mud flap for under the seat. None are available from Yamaha. I scoured the interweb and found a couple of pictures that kinda showed what it looked like. I had the mounting hardware and cleaned them up. I used some old innertube that I think will work. If not I will get a bigger piece.

When I took the bike apart I found this problem with the pipe.

I took a long bolt and stuffed it in the nut to pull it out to tack weld.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All welded up and ready to go.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I hadn't messed with the rear wheel yet so out came the soda blaster again.

While I was wandering aimlessly around the garage I picked up the front brake cable guide that mount on the bar clamps. It was broken. So back to welding. I forgot this was spring steel and it was pretty exciting when I arc's it up. Massive flash. But it worked. All finished.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #27
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The levers on the bike were beyond repair IMO so I bought a set off ebay. I picked up the correct throttle from a bud of mine in Sandy Eggo. They had a whirlpool on it and that is not what I want for this build.

Bars and controls mounted. Believe it or not........the bars are orignal and not bent.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next I cleaned up the air box and the rear backing plate. They were in real good conditon.

Now the fun part. I thought I would just slap the airbox in no problem. I had to take the shock off the rear wheel and drop the swing arm to get it in.

I am only doing a MOCK UP, so I'm thinkin it's all good from here on out. Piece of cake. Boy was I wrong. The filter cage is very stout. The filter is very stout. The cages are tapered as well as the filters. I get them on finally. Thank the Lord I dont' have oil on them. It would not be pretty.

The real fun begins. This should be easy put the rod into the side cover slide it through, put on the other filter and cover and you are good to go. WRONG EM BOYO (from a Clash song). The air box is tapered on both sides, and the clamping rod is bent on both ends to accomadate the taper. So here I am trying to hold one side of the filters with my left hand, trying to line up the right side with my right hand, and because I can't see things as well any more I have a flashlight stuffed in my mouth looking upside down to line it all up while DROOOLING ALL OVER MYSELF. Boy is this fun. I finally get it installed. I am worn out.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #29
hoodellyhoo
Dummy

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
I hope I am not boring anyone. I do know it is rather mundane shit at times.........
Not at all!!

For the most part I have no interest in owning an off-road bike but I am inexpicably drawn to the old yamaha DT's and YZ's. They just look so.....right.
hoodellyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #30
Scootern29 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was gonna post more today...........but...........I got sidetracked and had to buy this bike.