User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #4771
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,575
I have caught up!

Mark, I started reading your report back in February and with time to get in a few pages each day, I am finally here. This report is just awesome and obviously you are an awesome individual. I noticed earlier in the report, as you were on the east US coast, you stayed with some of my friends here in western NC and another one mounted some new rubber for you I have found your story to be so easy to relate to. I won't go into a lot of detail, maybe some day I will be fortunate enough to meet you and can share more. I gave up my motorcycling for several years while my wife battled breast cancer. She passed on in 2005 and my attention then was to my 12 year old daughter and 14 year old son. Trying to be both parents and be certain that they were OK is not easy and really not possible but they have done great. My son starts grad school in the fall and my daughter is now in her sophomore year in college. I have been back to my motorcycling for several years now and I am so blessed as I have a wonderful lady in my life, AND she is a wonderful pillion rider. No doubt your life will be blessed as well.

Maybe we will meet you out on our travels or please give me a PM if you get this way again. We will be following you as will all those who have had the good fortune to meet you and know you.

Ed

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #4772
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,898
Doubtful Sound

In Fjordland there are two main trips that people do by boat (I am sure there might be others too). Doubtful Sound will be my second. The boat leaves Manapouri to cross the lake, visit the power station, then bus you 22KM through the mountains to the boat in doubtful sound!

Wake up to another sunny day!! Catch the boat..... Gonna be a great day!

Fjordland is one of the rainiest places on earth. 250 days of rain I am told.... But today is great!

We make our way to west bay.

The mountains are big and majestic

And a rainbow to start the day!

After we get to West Bay, we take a bus to see the Largest Hydro electric Power Station in NZ

It was built in the 60's and was an amazing engineering feat. We also protested by many at the time since it is inside a National Park. And the primary use was to get power to an Aluminium plant.

Cool Mock up. We had to drive down a two KM tunnel to get to the power station.

This is just the top of the turbines. But it is a huge place.

I am not a real fan of tours, on the boat, onto the bus, onto the boat etc. But it is the way to see the sights here. As we drove across the mountains the rainforest is lush and full of Beech trees.

As we crest the Wilmot pass at 1,800 Feet we get a great view of Doubtful sound!

Then down the hill to catch another boat. Leaving to moorage

4 hours cruising up and back on the sound!

It was great meeting other travelers. Met Wayne and his wife Jane from Australia. They are repeat travelers on Ferriswheelsafari motorbike rides, and will be heading to Iceland in May!

Lots of places to view on the boat.

Just a very scenic area. But without much rain lately, not many waterfalls either. But I am liking the sunshine!

Some waterfalls.

We cruised out to the edge of the Tasman sea.

A large cruise ship heading out!

Too many photos to share!

The mountains go up 4,000+ feet. It is amazing

Hard to have perspective, but some Kayakers paddling nearby!

At one point they cut the engines, had some time of silence so we could hear the birds and enjoy the moment!

Bus rear grill.. :lol

Heading back to Manapouri after a wonderful day on Doubtful sound!

I stayed in a motel with a great view out over the lake and mountains the past few nights while exploring the area!

Good night!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #4773
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
HECK this may be the best ride report EVER! This morning I was in Ecuador with the Radioman on an F800 and this afternoon I am in India with him on a Royal Enfield!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #4774
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
HECK this may be the best ride report EVER! This morning I was in Ecuador with the Radioman on an F800 and this afternoon I am in India with him on a Royal Enfield!!!
Indeed! Following along every day but it took me I think a month to catch up from the start, I enjoy every single update.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #4775
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
Me too...just trying to get current
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #4776
Porchacha
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Holy smokes, I'm here!

I went to click on the next page, and realized there isn't one...yet. Not quite sure how I stumbled upon this particular ride report, but I've read every page of it over the past few weeks - sometimes one page at a time, sometimes 30. Pretty amazing journey you're on here, Rman - thanks for bringing all of us along. I also read the backstory that ultimately led you to where/who you are today, and am sorry for your loss. Your positive outlook on life is both inspirational and infectious.

Consider this my first "real" post; the other two I've made were just "Dibs - PM sent" messages as I buy gear for my first ever ADV ride here in a few weeks.
Porchacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #4777
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv4 View Post
Consider this my first "real" post; the other two I've made were just "Dibs - PM sent" messages as I buy gear for my first ever ADV ride here in a few weeks.
Thanks! always great to have a comment from a non poster!! Cheers thanks for joining and following along!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #4778
Juliberf
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Love it..beautiful pictures,amaizing adventure!
Thank you for sharing your story.
Juliberf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #4779
moto74
Displaced

Oddometer: 102
Are you coming back up through the North Island again? David
moto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #4780
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsrover View Post
Are you coming back up through the North Island again? David
Yes. Working out the timing. Where does Time go? I need to be in be in auckland on April 6th. Flying out April 14th.

will be heading north soon!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #4781
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliberf View Post
Love it..beautiful pictures,amaizing adventure!
Thank you for sharing your story.
Thanks for posting up!!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #4782
moto74
Displaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
I need to be in be in auckland on April 6th. Flying out April 14th. will be heading north soon!
I'm a bit late catching up with your trip... I'm on the east coast, near Tauranga. I imagine you'll be on a more direct route back to Auckland, but if you do end up with some time I'd like to buy you a coffee, even on the road somewhere through the Waikato.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #4783
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsrover View Post
I'm a bit late catching up with your trip... I'm on the east coast, near Tauranga. I imagine you'll be on a more direct route back to Auckland, but if you do end up with some time I'd like to buy you a coffee, even on the road somewhere through the Waikato.
I will be riding up the East coast for sure... just do not know timing. PM sent! Thanks!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #4784
moto74
Displaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
I will be riding up the East coast for sure... just do not know timing. PM sent! Thanks!
Great Mark - will hopefully catch up but if not, safe travels.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #4785
mrantimatter
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Heading North..

Are you going up through the Catlins? The East side of the South Island is one of the last areas to get a feel for the way NZ was back in the early part of the 20th century. There are some beautiful waterfalls there, if you have time to see them.

Depending on how tired you want your arms to be, the Port Underwood Road from Rarangi to Picton is quite the drive. Lots of great scenic vistas and views of mussel farms. I don't know if the Mussel Pot restaurant in Havelock is still there, but it was good back when.

On the North Island, the 309 Road in the Coromandel area is a great ride, too.

I'm loving the RR. Keep it up!
mrantimatter is offline   Reply With Quote