User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,737
Barrancas Del Cobre

Sometimes, the best beginning is the last photo of the trip. And this was one fantastic trip.

I'm the big gringo on the right and I'll get this party started tonight. I will be looking for at least two of my fellow travelers to jump in and contribute their pics and thoughts about this saga. After reviewing my 519 photos, I have realized how inadequate they are in regards to my memory.

Copper Canyon

March 2013
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
michaellmcc
Dudester

Oddometer: 83
Details?

The Minnesota group Tury told us about? Interested in hearing about the road down to Bato. Hope you had a great time.

Mike
Explored by motorbike: USA, Canada, Alaska, Mexico, France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Vietnam. Videos: Alaska: http://vimeo.com/70698420; Mexico: http://vimeo.com/62712738 ; Austin to Indy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsHo...eature=mh_lolz ; Morocco: http://youtu.be/fW758r_V4mE ; Big Bend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEKpJ...ature=youtu.be
michaellmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

During the dark and cold days of January and February, I hatched a plan to haul my bike to Yuma, Arizona. I have ridden Baja a few times now and it seemed like a good time to go again.

Long story shortened.......all the local riders were "working"......or "vacationing".......so it was looking like my first Baja solo.

BUT..........then I stumbled into an invitation to ride the mainland with this group of riders......so it was easy to say.....I'm in!

I loaded my 690e onto the hitch hauler, packed the pickup and headed south towards warmer temps and some solid sunshine. I arrived a day before the ride was scheduled so that I could make the trip to San Louis Rio Colorado to pick up my FMM (Visitors Permit) and TVIP (Temporary Vehicle Import Document). The TVIP is expensive at $460 for 2008 and newer vehicles (including moto's) but $400 is refundable when you leave the country. I understood that the two Yuma residents had their papers already and the two Kali riders had pre-registered. I didn't want to be the guy who held up the long ride on day 1, so this was a good plan.

The bad: I was practicing my peg work on the road and got pulled over for standing on the bike. The officer then said I had run a stop sign. Since I'm 6'3" plus the pegs are 20" or so off the ground, I look like a 4x8 piece of plywood when I'm on the bike and standing.

The good: I sweet talked myself into just a warning with the statement: I've taken classes to be able to stand and stop that bike. I was really just practicing.

Whatever, it worked.

The Kali folks rode in late that afternoon and we unloaded their bikes. The mechanical lineup consisted of #2 Yammie WR250's with 17 inch wheels, #1 '97 Suzie DR650, #1 old style KLR and my '08 690e. All the bikes were wearing Shinko 244's except for my brand new set of MT-21's. Mine were the only set of tires that got used up on this trip.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

The Walrus screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 07:11 PM
Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellmcc View Post
The Minnesota group Tury told us about? Interested in hearing about the road down to Bato. Hope you had a great time.

Mike
Interesting that you bring up the Minnesota group. We ran into a group of seven riders and I'm really curious to learn how their trip turned out. I didn't take any photos of them but look forward to seeing a ride report or hearing how they did.

I expect this ride report to take a while to get completed so bear with me (us) as it unravels....
Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Day 1 ride:http://goo.gl/maps/5eSGH

Two of us stayed with Burt (our intrepid leader) and after gearing up, we headed over to Mikes house to pick up Doug and get rolling. Patio shot of the gang with Mike's wife Kay watching over us. The bikes were clean and ready for some miles today.

So down the road we rolled. There was some alleged construction at San Louis Rio Colorado so we rode to Gila Bend and then south to the crossing at Lukeville. Burt was just tickled to get us across the border, his second home is Mexico and he's like a steelhead in home waters.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,292
Burt Gunn is a delight to ride with.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

This was a 360 mile day on pavement. Fresh riders, fresh rubber, clean bikes and thumpin' good times. We kicked it at anywhere from 60-70 mph for a good stretch of road. After Lukeville, we stopped in Sonoyta for Premium gasolina priced at 11.70 pesos per liter.

Mike takes no chances and has a bright jacket, he also wears a vintage Bell helmet that reminds me of Meteor Man.

It was also the first time of the trip that some wayward Mexican wanted a photo with Senior Alto (myself).....no explanation from me, but you'll see this several times over the trip.......

Not much to photo until we finally stopped in Santa Anna and typical for the country, across the road is a nice looking garden vendor.

A quick walk reveals the town mission and patron saint.

Mass is in session......no new Pope yet...........

Dinner is served (Camarones were readily available throughout the trip) and it's an early night with some WiFi in the room.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Burt Gunn is a delight to ride with.

Mi Vale' Madre.....................
Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
This was a 360 mile day on pavement. Fresh riders, fresh rubber, clean bikes and thumpin' good times. We kicked it at anywhere from 60-70 mph for a good stretch of road. After Lukeville, we stopped in Sonoyta for Premium gasolina priced at 11.70 pesos per liter.

Noticed you caught the military in the background, even a guy with an assault rifle

Uploading pix to Flickr now, will be able to fill in some gaps.....
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

Whats with Mike and his bibs? Seems like a convenient place to keep his hands, seems to be a common theme in all the pictures
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Thumb

looking forward to read the rest of what seems to be a great adventure
Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #12
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Your livin the life K. Which I could've been in on this one. Subscribed.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
Wolverine1305
The english is hard

Oddometer: 169
Pics.

I am looking forward to see more pictures and read your adventure through copper canyon.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,724
Hi Guys

Hi Guys----------gonna be a great read.

And a special hi to my buddy burt.
Is that your WR Burt------------man that thing is set up nice !!!!! Better than mine

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Your livin the life K. Which I could've been in on this one. Subscribed.
.........great ride, great folks.......no bad company this time......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1305 View Post
I am looking forward to see more pictures and read your adventure through copper canyon.
Muchas gracias....my spanglish improved on this trip and you have a wonderful country with great people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Hi Guys----------gonna be a great read.

And a special hi to my buddy burt.
Is that your WR Burt------------man that thing is set up nice !!!!! Better than mine

BigDog
OK folks, the cat is out of the bag.........it is a Burt Gunn ride........for those of you who haven't had the pleasure of meeting and riding with Burt, he should be declared a national treasure for his knowledge and experience with Mexico. You don't just ride through the country, you get history and geography lessons at every stop. On the opening photo, from left to right, Greg, Mike, Doug, Burt and Ken........

I'm going to wait for Doug and Greg to kick in some photos of their trip and day 1.....and I'm going to attend a Bball tourney that seems to be in town.......12 hours of the big dance, 4 games today.......see you all tomorrow....