Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #31
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Wow! I was going to post why I like riding solo, but fuck it, I'm outta here.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #32
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,580
Since we on the subject of English, I thinks as a non-native speaker I can ask a question. I googled high fullutent, and it looks like they mean highfalutin, which in turn means “pompous or pretentious.” But I couldn't find a meaning of PKs. Who are they?

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #33
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Preachers Kids. - Many try to make up for their parents vocation...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #34
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
Some disagree

^^^Loud Mouth Wiminz???
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #35
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyrider View Post
And this is exactly what wrong with america, were all a bunch of, quick to judge back stabbing snitch's. Take a look at yourself America, you should be ashamed of yourself, you cowardly pig.
If this is your view of America, why not go back to your beloved Mother Russia?
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #36
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
He's correct about your utter butchery of the English language. It's like you wrote it in Thai and then crammed it through the Russian version of Google Translate to make it almost look like English.
No need to go through the Russian version of Google translate. As a teacher in Thailand (and fluent in Thai) I see enough of what comes straight from the Thai to English version to assure you of that!

I am endlessly tolerant with strugglers who make an effort, but those who try foisting Google translate on me get short shrift.

But back on topic.... I see little allure in group riding. Motorcycles are great for getting around alone, or going to meet up with a mate or two. There were some good bike events at the pub I lived in when I was in the UK, but the Phuket Big Bike Week they have here leaves me cold.... all attitude and wannabes.

Going some place as a group.... a bus or a car is fine by me.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 04:05 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #37
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
He's correct about your utter butchery of the English language. It's like you wrote it in Thai and then crammed it through the Russian version of Google Translate to make it almost look like English.
I tried to figure out what was being said in the 1st post.
Im at a loss.

Progressive Rock was mentioned,moving ahead in groups was in there somewhere.

But as far as riding in groups..........that's when things like tickets happen,riding buddies ramming you off the bike coming into corners.
Usually a riding buddy you just met.
Guys get competitive and do stupid stuff either to keep up or try to keep others behind.

Its more relaxing to ride alone or with maybe 1 long time riding friend.

Some people need a big group ride in order to feel like they're doing the right thing,monkey see,monkey do.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #38
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Jesus freaks (or any other religious zealot) don't count as by definition they are semi-literate buffoons.

Although you think they would have noticed the lack of apostrophes in the bible...
That's assuming that any of them took the effort to actually read any of it. Like quoting traffic regulations, my experience with bible quoters is that they seldom actually read what they recite.

About this forum - yes it's harsh with the illiterate and the lazy. I'm fine with that. This is an English language forum. It's a pleasure to generally read reasonably well written English; which is the norm here more than most forums I read. I've found that the language-challenged get some sympathy from the inmates but the lazy or intransigent don't.

On topic - group riding sucks. It's dangerous and it annoys everyone else on the road. It's an example of "it's all about me/us". You want to ride to be social? Pick a destination and meet there. You want to ride with a group? - either racing or going at turtle speed - piss off. And I define "group" in this context as more than four bikes. They're even more annoying than left lane hogs.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #39
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Jesus freaks (or any other religious zealot) don't count as by definition they are semi-literate buffoons.

Although you think they would have noticed the lack of apostrophes in the bible...
Congratulations! You made a couple of punctuation errors, failed to recognize a subordinate clause, and included a non-sequitur for good measure. Please repeat the part about how Jesus freaks are semi-literate buffoons.

I went on my first group ride yesterday, though there were only four of us. I have mixed impressions. I met them through a Meetup group, as I dont have any friends who ride. It was nice to engage people from different backgrounds than mine. Unfortunately, my late 30's suburban group of friends tends to be pretty homogenous. I wasn't happy with the fact that only two of us had plates on our bikes (all cruisers).

I think groups give N00bs like me a chance to interact with people who have more riding experience. Present company is, of course, excluded.

El Pescador screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 12:40 PM
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #40
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,420
I dont know where you guys are getting more dangerous.

Riding in groups is safer because you are more visable in a group and if one rider crashes alone they might not be noticed for a while, in a group you are way more likely to get immediate first aid.

Riding alone is great but riding in a group is great too. I like and do both.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #41
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
group riding can be great but depends on the group.i usually ride with a group that ride alot of miles and never have a problem but ive also ridden with a few knuckleheads that shouldnt have a license .when thats the case i break off at the fuel stop and do my own thing.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 AM   #42
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Somebody's got a really short fuse! ...and while grammatical errors may be irritating, not everyone on ADV is a native English speaker, nor has the same level of education, attention to detail, or keyboard skills. We (supposedly) share a love of motorcycles and motorcyling that should transcend such things

Honestly, if your sense of camaraderie is so lacking that you're going to get all bent out of shape over a bit of poor grammar, perhaps you should reconsider whether on-line forums are really for you. OTOH, if you just want to be the first one in the dog-pile simply restrict your vituperation to "Jo Momma."

As for the spam - well it has obviously been edited out so I don't know what was said to begin with but the explanation provided by stinky seems quite reasonable

Back on topic: I have taken some long trips, solo, and had a great time. I got to stop and start when I wanted, go whereever I wanted, get up, eat, sleep, pee and take photos when I felt like it, but there was often the feeling that it would be more fun to share the experience.

Group riding with friends whose riding styles, interests and stamina are compatible can be a fabulous experience and is the most enjoyable experience for me (although it doesn't take much to take the edge off the fun.) One person having a crabby day, getting lost or doing something stupid, can pretty quickly sour things for the entire group. It needs to be a VERY good group to be worthwhile. Fortunately I happen to have just such a group of riding buddies and we deal with each others foibles (mostly) in good grace.

Riding with a huge "lifestlye" parade is obviously popular just not for me. I tried it three times. The first one I stuck with it but was not impressed, especially when behind some numbskull with open pipes. The second time, I ducked out about 1/3 into the ride and the third time, we were all heading to the same place and I blasted past the entire group and rode my own way there after only about two minutes.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #43
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 888
Stinky,
I'm sorry mate, but I don't know wtf you are going on about.
Cheers.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #44
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
in a group you are way more likely to get immediate first aid.

Riding alone is great but riding in a group is great too. I like and do both.
And also more likely to need immediate first aid.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #45
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,168
Boy! My first thoughts were right in more than one way.

The Lure of Group Riding (give the guy credit for proper capitalization for a title) instantly made me think - lure... the thing used to sucker a fish into clamping down on a hook and get reeled in... yep. This thread was certainly a lure as as much as group riding is!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote