Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #136
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Wow! That was great. I was just contemplating getting a builder to work on my F650 ST, if I wanted the hassle of bringing it into California. I think I'll just add a Del Orto single carb (like on KTM Duke) and save the possible top end and probable gear back cutting on the transmission for when it really needs it. I wish I had a double car garage however.

That was an excellent team project. You guys are pretty smart
Thank You!!

Although the one thing I don't understand, is you took out 2 of the most robust parts of the Rotax F650, the piston and rings. It must be something to do with the efi machines may run leaner and hot. Anyway, it is no problem to you regardless.

rride screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 03:31 PM
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #137
JonnyC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Thumb piston questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsbr View Post
Box-0-Parts!

Several OEM BMW engine parts arrived yesterday. A few are still backordered.

Did you get these from BMW directly? I found a 2001 near me for $1k that has 27,000miles on it. He is selling it because the bolt that holds the air box to the oil reservoir fell into the piston. He says it shut it self off and didn't grind to a halt, but I am doubtful.

First I wanted to know if that was possible (the nut or bolt actually falling into the piston like that)?
Second, how much damage that could cause? He price seems pretty fair to me if it just needs a piston and valves, but is that me being hopeful?
OH, one last thing, How many hours do you think it would take to do the top end rebuild if I didn't split the case and all the extra stuff you guys did?

Thanks for a great thread with some detailed pictures
JonnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #138
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Lots of open questions! Who really knows. I presume the engine was running when it happened. If so, could need a new engine. I mean cheaper to get that used one than rebuild. Valve, piston, guide, if it got thru valve, yikes. Yes most was oem. Much safer that way. Get the tc engine (or I will :) I have his throttle body if you want that or let me know what else you need.
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #139
JonnyC
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by divimon2000 View Post
cheaper to get that used one than rebuild. Valve, piston, guide, if it got thru valve, yikes. Yes most was oem. Much safer that way. Get the tc engine (or I will :) I have his throttle body if you want that or let me know what else you need.

Thanks for the tip. And Sorry for the open ended questions. I guess when the throttle is wide open on the highway it could allow a bolt to go through it couldn't it?

I was pricing it all out and I figured the same thing. Even if it was just the simplest problem it could cost upward of $500 just for oem parts and shipping. I am going to try and talk him down from $1000 bucks while getting money together for the engine. Would you try the same on a 2001 that needs a major overhaul?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but you have the best rebuild thread I could find anywhere. If anyone is looking for a 1978 Goldwing let me know. I have a great one that I want to fund this project with.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #140
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Not a problem. Well I would because I like projects and time is not so much of a problem. Check some other builds and you'll see the other end of the spectrum (kids and money get in the way)! If you don't count your time, it's a nice deal (1,300) and you have a BMW.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #141
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 529
Great thread, I have this bookmarked for future reference!
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #142
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 472
excellent work divimon! Great thread.

JohnnyC- an inmate over at f650.com had his airbox bolt enter the engine and the piston ate it up, there is a rebuild thread on that very issue but it was a long time ago- try a search for it.

'01 F650 GS
CG#2727
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #143
JonnyC
Adventurer

Do you know of any video where they actually take the engine out? The manual says, "turn right.... move back....turn left.,,drop" something like that. Did you guys find the instructions helpful and fairly accurate? It seemed pretty vague to me. I want to attempt it this weekend if I can.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #144
STisma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I think it starts here...
F650GS Maintenance
Old 08-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #145
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by STisma View Post
I think it starts here...
F650GS Maintenance
I will keep my opinion of his methods to myself
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #146
tele-steve
ya' mon

Oddometer: 266
Quote:

Flywheel came off pretty easy with the puller (standard for a lot of bikes). No heat required, but when I took mine off my bike I needed quite a bit of heat (good loctite?) .
Can I ask where you got the puller from? I've got to pull the engine out of my xchallenge and split the case.

Thanks
tele-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #147
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
Thanks for the posts, this thread has been really helpful for me as I am dealing with my own personal Rotax mess right now. I have a case split set up for when I get home to detroit in January. For now, I put in a used motor and am just about buttoned up.

Regarding getting the motor in and out, once you get the radiator and swingarm out, it will pretty much just drop right out onto a jack. Getting it in was a bit more of an issue, it only goes in from the right side if using a regular hydraulic jack and the centerstand. If I had my low-profile jack here, I think I could have gotten it in from the bottom with no issues. If you can lift the frame from the top, no problem. The good news is that once you get the swingarm pivot bolt and the two head alignment bolts in, it's not going anywhere fast, and you have plenty of time to twiddle around with the hundred other little bolts that need to go in to finalize the install. I found that I needed a fair amount of wiggling to get the alignment of the motor right. The old motor was definitely not in the frame straight - appears to have been removed at least once before - and this likely caused most of my swingarm bearing issues.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #148
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, I'm watching you atomic alex.
The puller is std for many bikes, search for BMW f650 flywheel puller. I think it's a 38mm x 1.5 right hand.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #149
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
I will keep my opinion of his methods to myself
Get 'er dun!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #150
Damian_74
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Flywheel Puller

Quote:
Yes, I'm watching you atomic alex.
The puller is std for many bikes, search for BMW f650 flywheel puller. I think it's a 38mm x 1.5 right hand.

Same as a DRZ400 and a few other Suzuki's!
Damian_74 is offline   Reply With Quote