Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
brycekauai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Your pretty much my hero. Let the good times roll! Good Luck!
brycekauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,983
"1) Yes rode it in the highway all the way there and back. No more. ride it every day on the highway here locally, no probs, just dangerous. All you need is more than 5hp and able to maintain 40mph to be on highway legally!!!"

In CA there is a 150cc minimum size limit, and I believe there is in AZ as well, though I'm still looking for it in writing. My Zuma 125 makes about 11 hp I believe, and will maintain 50 mph on a level road, but drops way down on hills.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,728
I'm looking forward to following your trip.

I do have one recommendation. Do your trip report in the Ride Reports section of Adventure Rider. I am on several forums and have looked at numerous blogs. I have yet to find anything that remotely compares to the ADV ride reports. For a trip like yours, getting a few hundred thousand hits on a ride report, if you do a good job, is not out of the question.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I'm following along on facebook.
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 293
When you get to Seattle you can expect a good time. There's a big group of very active, friendly, welcoming scooter riders of all types here.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #21
fgallucc
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Midwest Suggestions...

Dude,
Too cool! Wish I had the time to join you for part of the ride. I'm in Northeast Indiana, so look me up when you come through these parts. Here's my suggestions:
1. I would head up through Michigan (preferably along the West coast which is beautiful and has some very unique towns and great beaches), over the Mackinac bridge (stops in Traverse City and Mackinaw City), and through the U.P. (Sault Ste. Marie is a neat stop, as is Tahquamenon Falls...and maybe Escanaba in da' Moonlight - a movie with Jeff Bridges). Skirting along the Southern coast of the U.P. is also scenic.

2. If Chicago is really on the agenda for you (lots to see and do in Chicago, but ain't nothin' cheap), Rockford Illinois has one of the largest and really well done Japanese Gardens in the Americas - well worth the stop.

3. Riding through Southern Ohio and Southern Indiana is ALOT more scenic than cutting across the Northern parts of the states. There are a lot of beautiful roads in Southern Indiana around Nashville / Bloomington (and one of my favorite places to eat is at the Story Inn in Story, Indiana).

Ride safe, keep us posted as you start nailing downs dates, and post on the way!
Frank
fgallucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #22
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,983
Just checked your thread on MV. (that's a place I will definitely avoid, even if I ever get a Vespa) Even more impressive, but I have to admit I would have gone to the emergency room right after the accident. But then I have insurance, so I understand. An amazing trip. To bad about what happened over there on that lousy forum. No disagreement allowed?
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
FWIW, there are quite a few folks here who are also active on Modern Vespa and have completely different perspective than the one in the link earlier.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #24
JoelScootDude OP
High Mileage Scooter

Oddometer: 22
Ok everyone i'm leaving today wish me luck and follow me on my website

www.scooteristblog.com

www.Facebook.com/thescooteristblog

I might post things here but I'll be on the road and my time to be online will be few and far in between. thanks to everyone this website has helped me a lot!!!!!!

JoelScootDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #25
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Good Luck Joel!! Will be keeping an eye on your ride.

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #26
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 766
Joel:

I see you're planning to go through/near New York City. Might I suggest you go about three hundred miles north, spend a couple days in the Adirondacks?

They're picturebook lovely; rolling hills; log-cabin resort facilities; lakes clean enough to drink out of, straight. Bracing pine-scented air. If your scoot can do legal 55 mph, I'd make the trip...even in summer.

The state highways will be busy in high summer; but there are secondary roads, and some of them are experiences in their own right.

No, I don't live up there and can't help you...but I used to spend my summers in the region when I was a kid.

Good luck.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #27
JoelScootDude OP
High Mileage Scooter

Oddometer: 22
I made it 400 miles or so from orlando to dublin G, tomorrow into the appalachians. my ass hurts so bad.

Thank god for that throtle copper wire speed control.

thank god for reflective tape.

Oh last minute I changed my route a few days ago. from 3 mile island/ harrisburg i'm going up to niagara fall, across that bit of canada into michigan where itake the ferry in muskegon, into mineapolis, and so on it continues.

if anyone wants me to couchsurf anywhere along the route let me know i'll check this. thanks to everyone
JoelScootDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #28
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelScootDude View Post
I made it 400 miles or so from orlando to dublin G, tomorrow into the appalachians. my ass hurts so bad.

Thank god for that throtle copper wire speed control.

thank god for reflective tape.

Oh last minute I changed my route a few days ago. from 3 mile island/ harrisburg i'm going up to niagara fall, across that bit of canada into michigan where itake the ferry in muskegon, into mineapolis, and so on it continues.

if anyone wants me to couchsurf anywhere along the route let me know i'll check this. thanks to everyone
You will probably need a passport to enter Canada.

I used to work in Buffalo, and would be often in Canada. In 2009, passports became a requirement to cross Customs - both ways.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #29
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 346
He's a fake guys, you need to know that.

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #30
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Just checked your thread on MV. (that's a place I will definitely avoid, even if I ever get a Vespa) Even more impressive, but I have to admit I would have gone to the emergency room right after the accident. But then I have insurance, so I understand. An amazing trip. To bad about what happened over there on that lousy forum. No disagreement allowed?
Hey Jerry,

I don't recall ever seeing you on MV so I'd question how you arrived at that conclusion? Disagreement runs rampant on nearly every forum I've ever attended and MV isn't much different. The exception over there is members have to take it outside if they want to fight and from everything I've seen that's not such a bad idea. Maybe the environment you were expecting was a full-fledged free-for-all or something close to one?

Not everyone buys into or agrees with what you or anyone else may have to say so perhaps that's not what you're looking for. As other people have already stated in this thread MV has a pretty well balanced membership, unlike what the moron who got kicked out would have you believe. Before dropping the axe on them I think you'd do better to gain some personal experience first.

If you're anti-Vespa [which I think you are] that's not important, there are plenty of other scooters on the market and many of them are as good or better quality. Most of us who ride Vespas realize that and have room in our worlds for other brands. Quite a few of us have actually owned and currently ride them, all without feeling the need to slam others who don't.

Besides all of the above you might be well advised to do a bit of research into your newest hero's credibility, his stories are concocted of 100% pure bullshit including the weepy tale about his epic ride around the country.

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote