ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #496
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,080
right now, I am leaning towards the big bike option, but I won't know for a few more weeks. I have a couple of questions on the proposed route that I have not ridden before. is the southern part of the sections from Hite crossing to Hans flats big bike friendly? I have written from the muddy to hansse flat, but I'm wondering if the southern part of that section has an a deep sand or big ledges that would be in issue on a fully loaded 990. thoughts?

HellSickle screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 01:19 AM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #497
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
right now, I am leaning towards the big bike option, but I won't know for a few more weeks. I have a couple of questions on the proposed route that I have not ridden before. is the southern part of the sections from Hite crossing to Hans flats big bike friendly? I have written from the muddy to hansse flat, but I'm wondering if the southern part of that section has an a deep sand or big ledges that would be in issue on a fully loaded 990. thoughts?
Pretty easy stuff, hardest part is the section at the flint trail switchbacks. Sounds like you've ridden the worst of it.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #498
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Pretty easy stuff, hardest part is the section at the flint trail switchbacks. Sounds like you've ridden the worst of it.
Thanks. It has been almost 20 years since I did the switchbacks. I dont recall them being terribly difficult. Unless there is a lot more rubble, I should be fine on the 990. Point and shoot

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #499
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Jeff, Here's some video of the section, should give you a good idea what to expect.

Hite to the Flint trail

FT Switchbacks
Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #500
GJ650Rider
Slick Rock

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Jeff, Here's some video of the section, should give you a good idea what to expect.

Hite to the Flint trail

FT Switchbacks
Chris - I just checked out the "maximum carnage" video on our 7 Mile Rim ride. GOOD JOB!! I've been looking forward to see it.
GJ650Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #501
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ650Rider View Post
Chris - I just checked out the "maximum carnage" video on our 7 Mile Rim ride. GOOD JOB!! I've been looking forward to see it.
That was a great day of riding, sorry I didn't get more of you in the vid. We need to do it again sometime.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #502
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,517
Jeff,
Starting at 7:42 on Freaky's Hite to Flint Trail video (1st one).. if you look at the soil it appears to me to be some of that nasty clay that I mentioned a few months ago. If this gets wet it is a nightmare (icy and balls up BOTH) which is an issue for bigger bikes especially. I've never been more bummed than once long ago when I was completely stuck in this stuff with no options and miles from getting out, so yeah it's one of those "sensitive issues" for me. Likewise as to the snowmelt situation you mentioned earlier for the higher altitude forest section.

But unfortunately snowmelt is not looking to be an issue this year .

Nonetheless I'm curious as to any options for bail outs if we approach one of these sections and the conditions look dicey for us bigger bikes (with camping gear as well).

Thoughts?

p.s. I've seen Jeep YouTubes of Elephant Hill but anybody got any bike vids of this and the Bobby's Hole - if these are the 2 toughest sections?

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #503
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Jeff,
Starting at 7:42 on Freaky's Hite to Flint Trail video (1st one).. if you look at the soil it appears to me to be some of that nasty clay that I mentioned a few months ago. If this gets wet it is a nightmare (icy and balls up BOTH) which is an issue for bigger bikes especially. I've never been more bummed than once long ago when I was completely stuck in this stuff with no options and miles from getting out, so yeah it's one of those "sensitive issues" for me. Likewise as to the snowmelt situation you mentioned earlier for the higher altitude forest section.

But unfortunately snowmelt is not looking to be an issue this year .

Nonetheless I'm curious as to any options for bail outs if we approach one of these sections and the conditions look dicey for us bigger bikes (with camping gear as well).

Thoughts?

p.s. I've seen Jeep YouTubes of Elephant Hill but anybody got any bike vids of this and the Bobby's Hole - if these are the 2 toughest sections?
Elephant Hill was easily accomplished by a couple of geezers...me and Howell...last year with Hellsickle's group, and I was on a KLX250 dual sport bike. Not that tough. I've done Bobby's Hole on a KLR650 in the past, and I think there's a link on this thread that shows a girl named Jennifer riding a couple of XT250's up BH because the owners didn't want to try it. Look for the thread here that has quite a few pics of her making the ascent on the XT's.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #504
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post

Thoughts?

So for the Abajos we have a few options, but we would probably skirt the higher sections and come out on North Creek, into Montacello, take the hwy around to natural bridges and then pick up the route again.

This is just in the case of snowpack though.

Unfortunately if we get in the middle of a rain storm we are pretty much committed and there is no bailouts between Hite and the Swell..... (crossing the dirty devil is probably not an option)

I have seen some you tube vids I will see if I can find them.

Bobby's Hole:

I cant find any of Elephant hill, I think Chris's may be the first!

COXR650L screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 08:26 AM
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #505
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Don't you like how that guy in the video rides up that hill. He's on a DR650 (larger bike) that's loaded down riding up a relatively steep rocky trail yet he's sitting down. At first I thought he must be really good rider then I see him hit some of the rocks and realize basically he's just hanging on. That's a great way to ride off the edge of the trail. He's at the mercy of the terrain.

That's an easy hill if you hit it in the right manner.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #506
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
I do believe Bobby's Hole Hill is very sensitive to 4WD traffic and is loose enough that changing the difficulty of the hill is easy. If someone in a 4x4 had gone up and spun out & loosened the rocks before you get there, it's going to be much more difficult. IMO, it's one of those places that can be easily altered for the worse by one or 2 vehicles.
Greg@RME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #507
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
I do believe Bobby's Hole Hill is very sensitive to 4WD traffic and is loose enough that changing the difficulty of the hill is easy. If someone in a 4x4 had gone up and spun out & loosened the rocks before you get there, it's going to be much more difficult. IMO, it's one of those places that can be easily altered for the worse by one or 2 vehicles.
Then you had better not follow RF up Much less Mtech
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #508
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,042
Are we there yet?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #509
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,656
Quote:
Don't you like how that guy in the video rides up that hill. He's on a DR650 (larger bike) that's loaded down riding up a relatively steep rocky trail yet he's sitting down.
I believe that's an LC4e with 18l tank.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #510
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I believe that's an LC4e with 18l tank.

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote