Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,249
sounds pretty good to me. 13.5 at high rpm sounds a bit funny, but I wouldn't worry about that yet. mine makes 14.2v at high Rs unless I load it it down a bit. best thing is to have a v-meter onboard so you can watch whats going on. as long as the running voltage is above static battery voltage you are good... oh yea, it shouldn't go higher than 14.2/3 or maybe .4/5 ish... for a short period. 13.8 would be fine
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #17
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
sounds pretty good to me. 13.5 at high rpm sounds a bit funny, but I wouldn't worry about that yet.
I wouldn't worry about it either. That 13.5 was the second or third start (or even later?). Since the battery was a bit down by that point (12.4) it would take a while for charging to raise the voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
oh yea, it shouldn't go higher than 14.2/3 or maybe .4/5 ish... for a short period. 13.8 would be fine
My KLR regularly hits 14.8. The meter on my bike runs 0.1V higher than the 3 multimeters that I have, but that means 14.7. This is why I like flooded batteries on KLR but that's another issue. I agree with Beezer that 14.4/5 would be better, but that's not what I measure on my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolHardy View Post
At idle @ 1400= 12.6v, voltage climbs with rpms, tops out around 14.5v @3000. After that voltage decreases with rpms, drops to 13.5, up to 5500 rpms. Does this all sound normal to you? Oh, and it ran fine, never died on me. If there was a carb issue its gone now.
Mine does something similar but the RPMs are a little different and exact voltages depend on the state of the battery that morning. In general, though, mine has a higher charging voltage at lower RPM than at about 4,500. Voltage will climb again at even higher RPM.

No quote, but general testing:
Multimeters are not good at finding partially-broken wires. If a stranded wire has a a single continuous strand or a break where there is good contact between the strands, your mutimeter will show low resistance. When you try to put more current through the break it will heat (for a single strand) or arc (for a break).

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote