Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
AlecMyrddyn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
New 2013 TomTom Rider 4.3"

TomTom announced a new widescreen version of the Rider Motorcycle GPS on February 14th: http://corporate.tomtom.com/released...leaseID=740317

Looks like it's started shipping in Europe, but there's no news on a US release date yet.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/tomtom-rider/ has some details while we wait for the US version of the page to display something other than a 404 error.

Does anyone from across the pond have one yet to be able to provide first impressions? Does anyone have any inside scoop from TomTom to know when it will be available in the US and at what price?

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
I see that you already had posted a question on TT's forum (I was going to suggest that ). Based on some preliminary reports (i.e. announcements), the cost is supposed to be around $300-$400. As for the release date, it has not officially been announced yet (for US market), but according to some folks on TT forum, it supposed to be late Q1 or Q2.

I was looking forward to it (had a great experience with their car GPS - GO720), but decided to pull the trigger on Zumo 665 instead. I have not been able to use Zumo, but the short amount of time I spent playing with it looks to be quite promising. I don't like the fact that the new Rider has built-in memory and no expanding capabilities (no SD/microSD cards).
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
AlecMyrddyn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
I see that you already had posted a question on TT's forum (I was going to suggest that ). Based on some preliminary reports (i.e. announcements), the cost is supposed to be around $300-$400. As for the release date, it has not officially been announced yet (for US market), but according to some folks on TT forum, it supposed to be late Q1 or Q2.

I was looking forward to it (had a great experience with their car GPS - GO720), but decided to pull the trigger on Zumo 665 instead. I have not been able to use Zumo, but the short amount of time I spent playing with it looks to be quite promising. I don't like the fact that the new Rider has built-in memory and no expanding capabilities (no SD/microSD cards).
Thanks, here's hoping TomTom responds. It's frustrating that they announced the product without pricing or release date for the US.

I like my Garmin Nuvi 255W for the car, but it's only OK as a bike GPS. I really want a waterproof GPS that I can plan routes on for MC trips (like Newfoundland... ). BlueTooth announcement of turns would be really nice as well. I just cannot stomach the cost of Garmin MC specific GPS units... ~$700, really? Or $400 for the 220, but that has a tiny screen and you have to buy map updates if you want them.

The lack of expandable memory doesn't seem like it will matter to me on the Rider, plus I really like the integrated sun shield and included powered dock. I have no experience using any GPS other than my Garmin or iPhone's built-in apps.

-Alec
Old 04-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
AlecMyrddyn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So there's been nothing official from TomTom on their Discussion Forum yet in terms of an official release date, but it appears things are moving.

Amazon now allows you to pre-order the Rider 5 for $389.95.
They currently say "Usually ships within 3 to 5 weeks."
I just put in a pre-order and was told "Delivery Estimate: Wednesday May 15, 2013 - Friday May 24, 2013 by 8:00pm". Others who have posted on the TomTom forums have similar date ranges from Amazon.

Fingers crossed that Amazon is correct and this arrives in early June at the latest!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
AlecMyrddyn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

For anyone watching this thread:

Over the weekend, TomTom added the new Rider to their US website. This morning on their Forum, they also commented on a couple threads stating that it will starting shipping on May 15th in the US.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I think it is on AMAZON now for some rip off 589.... jerks

and the original screw you to BMW and Garmin for convincing the world that bikers should pay 2 1/2 times for a gps
Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromper View Post

and the original screw you to BMW and Garmin for convincing the world that bikers should pay 2 1/2 times for a gps
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

$556.61 or $588.24 but the shipping is FREE! FREE, I TELL YOU!!!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
AlecMyrddyn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromper View Post
The New 2013 TomTom Rider (version 5) did have a price of $389.95 listed on Amazon for a while, and you could pre-order it. My pre-order still lists a delivery date of May 15th - May 24th, but hasn't shipped yet.

Amazon doesn't show a price anymore, and you can no longer pre-order, instead you can only sign up to be notified when it will be available: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you are looking at the correct version of the Rider with the 4.3" screen and lifetime maps, Part Number 1GD0.052.00. There are older used models listed on Amazon with $550+ price tags that probably aren't what you are looking for.

Alec
Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
AlecMyrddyn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

$556.61 or $588.24 but the shipping is FREE! FREE, I TELL YOU!!!
That's the Rider 2, not the new 2013 4.3" Rider 5. The new model is rumored to start being available tomorrow, 5/15, in the US. Doesn't seem likely at this point, but we should find out soon.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
That's the Rider 2, not the new 2013 4.3" Rider 5. The new model is rumored to start being available tomorrow, 5/15, in the US. Doesn't seem likely at this point, but we should find out soon.
I stand corrected. Thank you for clarifying and correcting that!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
brakedw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
cost

the website shows 349 euros which would be about $452 us dollars.
brakedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
AlecMyrddyn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

$399.95 seems to be the US "list price" all online retailers agree upon. Again, we should hopefully know soon.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I have an "old" tomtom Rider 2 that I bought on Ebay about 3 years ago...I ordered a Garmin 665 LM today but am thinking about returning it to Twisted Throttle.. In the process I also had to order a bluetooth headset.. I have come to the realization that the issue with my "old" GPS was the cardo headset (that came with it) that was not easily compatible with my Neotech helmet.. so I ordered an interphone F5 headset today also.. I have realized that if I marry the new headset with my "old" GPS, I may have everything I wanted.. easy phone connectivity thru the headset.. a radio (FM built into it) and music from my Ipod and connectivity and turn by turn from the TomTom and I save about $800 in the process... so am I thinking correctly?.. Iwas turned off by the lack of TomTom support in the US for the old rider 2.. so wanted to go to a new unit.. but it works OK... I just can't upgrade maps for some reason..
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
I would consider myself a "TomTom fanboy" and the reason why is b/c you can customize TomTom where it's not so easy on Garmin. However, I ended up getting Garmin 665LM (also from Twisted - great service, by the way!) mainly since I wanted a dedicated "bike" GPS and two selling points for me were number of waypoints one can have in his/her route and SiriusXM capability that Garmin offers.

The price of new Rider 5 is definitely "attractive," but I hate the fact that it does not have microSD/SD capability. You can argue that this (theoretically) speeds-up the load time, but what it does not allow you is to switch maps on the fly.

If they [TomTom] only made GO720 bike-friendly, I would be all over it.

As for Garmin, it was a bit of a learning-curve (coming from TomTom) and one of the biggest things I had to used to was the amount of time it takes Garmin to load your route. Granted, the route I had loaded was 6K miles, so once I broke it down into multiple segments (i.e., daily routes) the load times were significantly increased. Overall, I'm starting to like Garmin, but form "user-friendly" perspective, I still think TomTom is better...

If Rider 2 has everything you need, I would stick with it. On the other hand, if you're interested in Sirius, tracks and topo maps, I would go with Garmin.
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Cerburus- Great feedback.. I ended up buying the Zumo 665 because of the XM radio.. from Twisted...They were a hughe help in the order.. I also ordered the Interphone f5 headset that I am very psyched about.. I had no idea that a bluetooth headset would do so much.. I can use that on a day to day basis with just a phone.. listen to the radio during my commute and not use the GPS.. I will go to Twisted Throttle (I'm 80 interstate miles away) for an good install.. also getting a few other farkles like a good lighter plug on the dash & so on. that appt is in 2 weeks.. I got a nice mount that will go on the middle of the tupperware that cover the handlebars on my Burgman.. a big investment .. but... sigh.. I have needs..

Noth screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 04:08 AM
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote