User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
christianw OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
XR650R Engine Noise

Hey all, I have an xr650r. Its been down for awhile becuase it has been making noise. Since it has been down for awhile I cannot remember the exact order of what I did but I believe it started making noise, so I adjusted valves following factory service manual. The noise continued after that so I tried a few more times to adjust valves. This bike is the first time I ever adjusted valves but I followed manual exactly and I am very mechanical. I am not sure what this noise could be as I am not an expert. I peeked around for an exhaust leak but didnt find anything obvious. Here is a video of it running. Thank you ahead of time for any help.

christianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
To me it sounds like it is idling too slowly.

So with that, I would suggest the noise is either connecting rod related, or perhaps clutch related.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
christianw OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Here is a video of it idling faster. Do you still think the same thing?

christianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Use a large screwdriver or other such thing to identify the location of the noise by holding to your ear. A tube may work as well.

Using an audio recording is of limited use, since it is not stereo, high fidelity, and will selectively amplify different frequences while attenuating others.

There are only a few things that will make a repetetive knocking noise: valves and rod being the only two I can think of. And its most likely the small end of the rod.

In that case, pull your flywheel cover and see if you can feel slope in the rod/piston by rotating it back and forth by hand. I have no idea how much slop is normal, but too muich should be obvious.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote