ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #46
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
That does sound really useful. So don't hold your breath on it happening I mean I'm sure they have bigger priorities unfortunately but glad you submitted to Garmin.
The upside is its a feature they've already used so its not like its totally new. Can't hurt to ask...
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #47
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,903
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying, but...

To be clear, you can do this, which is very similar tho not the same:
There are several ways to get to the "Search Near" pick from the Menu button (3 horizonal bars) on the bottom. After you press Search Near you get these choices:
A Recent Find
A Waypoint
My Current Location
A Map Point

So as a workaround you can see the route and use A Map Point to move around along the route and select a point. Or if you are looking for something coming up along the route you can use either that or My Currentl Location. These work pretty good if you want something close by while you are already navigating. Of course not the same.

Also instead of "destination", isn't the destination also a waypoint? so you can at least pick if from the A Waypoint selection.

... as a workaround.
So, if I am navigating along a saved route on my Montana, and then I need to find nearby gasoline or food, I find near my current location, then once found, I can insert it into my existing route that I am following? And will doing that affect other subsequent waypoints that were in my route? Assume that I did not transfer the route to the unit as "direct" what happens?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #48
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
So, if I am navigating along a saved route on my Montana, and then I need to find nearby gasoline or food, I find near my current location, then once found, I can insert it into my existing route that I am following? And will doing that affect other subsequent waypoints that were in my route? Assume that I did not transfer the route to the unit as "direct" what happens?
Well this is all just from trying it out in my house as I type this and there may be better ways but...

Like I said there are several places where you can get to this sequence:
Search Near->My Current Location->Fuel Services

...including when you are not even currently navigating, meaning right after you press Where To? you can get to the above and it will simply route you directly there. But this is basic and independent of any other saved or current route... so I'm sure you already know this and this is not your question (but for other readers...).

But for your question, you are navigating a route with multiple via points in it and suddenly need gas so you want to insert a Fuel Services location into the middle of your route and still leave the rest of the via points intact.

This only works for a Direct route (from Basecamp) as only a Direct route will give you the "Edit Route" option:

So the only way I know is to use the Route Planner app to actually EDIT the route...

The idea is basically to use Route Planner to insert this new point before an existing point in your route, or in this case before the next point coming up in your route. It turns out that it doesn't matter if you are currently navigating the route or not, because editing it in Route Planner will not in itself cause it to re-run autorouting, so you will have to stop navigating then start it again anyhow.

In Route Planner, you will see a list of routes, DO THIS:
0. select your desired route and click Edit Route
1. from here you will see a list of via points (waypoints, via points, shaping points, whatever)
2. select the next point coming up ahead of you (use your knowledge of the route to decide which point this is since there is no way to know really)
3. click Insert
4. select the Menu button (3 horizontal bars) and pick:
5. Search Near->My Current Location->Fuel Services, then pick a location, it shows on the map, then pick Use.

So now it shows you the list of via points in your route and you can see the new one you just picked. If it is not in the correct order you can select it and then pick Move Up or Move Down. It does not affect the other points already in the route.

Now when you back (exit) out of Route Planner and return to the map, if you are currently navigating you will see the map does not show this new point on it, so you will have to:

6. stop navigating then start navigating this newly edited routed all over again.

At least that is a way I have found to work.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 01:08 AM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #49
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
ok here is a test...i dont have a montana,nor have i had any other gps so this could all be
At the time you realise you need gas you stop navigating your route and go to the nearest gas station...once you have got your gas what happens when you attempt to resume navigation on your saved route?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #50
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Well yes that basically works too! A different approach as it is not routing you to the gas station. This is all pretty ironic as I'm a tracks guy and haven't really used routing at all yet on my bike as I just got this and it is still winter here.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #51
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Well yes that basically works too! A different approach as it is not routing you to the gas station. This is all pretty ironic as I'm a tracks guy and haven't really used routing at all yet on my bike as I just got this and it is still winter here.
Thanks for all the info. Yeah, got my Montana on an extended black Friday sale so I haven't really used it for real yet. More snow due here today.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #52
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,593
Quote:
Well, when I create routes I usually keep gas stops in mind and actually incorporate them into my routes.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #53
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Well, when I create routes I usually keep gas stops in mind and actually incorporate them into my routes.
Why am I not that smart?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #54
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
This thread is great and just what I was looking for. My unit was just replaced under warranty and the rebuild of my settings etc. Garmin suggested that I do not reuse my previous saved profiles - so i have had to reset my unit and BC and have forgotten much of the research I have done to learn it all... now I find this thank you and learn more.

Unit is a 650. Loaded with City NV, US Topo 24 and Canada Topo 24 (which is nicely routable)

Comment:
1 - The Garmin tech told me that once a route is made in BC it will NOT reroute/recalculate when uploaded to the unit. Unless you breach the parameters of the unit - ie. number of viapoints or have a different map. It will not assume the settings on your unit. These settings are "set" in BC and attached to the route and will not change when adding the route to the unit. Or when navigating. The only changes occur if the unit recalculates during a trip and you can set it to not do that. This seems born out by my experience but the rep could have got me wrong...?

2 - Can you clarify as I forget now if this works - but - When following a route and needing to get off the route for gas etc. I have stopped navigating and dropped a waypoint at the turn off. Then I route to gas and if needed navigate back to that waypoint, (or follow my auto track) and then start routing again (on my original BC route) and the unit will pick up the route where I left off. This seems pretty simple and easier than stopping and editing a route.

3 - I created a 182km route using BS 4.1.1 using the route tool and then shaping it to my needs. The track conversion info gave me over 1800 points - and the unit handled that route fine. But I might be confusing the issue.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #55
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dean View Post
This thread is great and just what I was looking for. My unit was just replaced under warranty and the rebuild of my settings etc. Garmin suggested that I do not reuse my previous saved profiles - so i have had to reset my unit and BC and have forgotten much of the research I have done to learn it all... now I find this thank you and learn more.

Unit is a 650. Loaded with City NV, US Topo 24 and Canada Topo 24 (which is nicely routable)

Comment:
1 - The Garmin tech told me that once a route is made in BC it will NOT reroute/recalculate when uploaded to the unit. Unless you breach the parameters of the unit - ie. number of viapoints or have a different map. It will not assume the settings on your unit. These settings are "set" in BC and attached to the route and will not change when adding the route to the unit. Or when navigating. The only changes occur if the unit recalculates during a trip and you can set it to not do that. This seems born out by my experience but the rep could have got me wrong...?

2 - Can you clarify as I forget now if this works - but - When following a route and needing to get off the route for gas etc. I have stopped navigating and dropped a waypoint at the turn off. Then I route to gas and if needed navigate back to that waypoint, (or follow my auto track) and then start routing again (on my original BC route) and the unit will pick up the route where I left off. This seems pretty simple and easier than stopping and editing a route.

3 - I created a 182km route using BS 4.1.1 using the route tool and then shaping it to my needs. The track conversion info gave me over 1800 points - and the unit handled that route fine. But I might be confusing the issue.
I'm hoping someone with more experience will answer, but glad you found this useful so far.

1. About whether the Montana will recalculate, I've heard mixed information and since you've tried it I believe you. Frankly after all this routing knowledge I've learned (without living with the Montana on the bike much)... I'm going to stick to Tracks when off road so I don't care that much

2. Yes that does sound simpler, I was trying to come up with a solution specific to the person's question but your way sounds simpler. It changes the running stats for the miles you have already traveled though, so technically it is different. YMMV.

3. IF I understand you here, you are using BC to autoroute then having BC "Create a Track" from the Route. Then transfer the Track to the Montana (which can handle 10,000 points in a Track). This is exactly what I plan on using quite a bit, especially for Offroad trips using the Topo 24k maps that can autoroute (in BC) but in the end I will then create a track and use it. ... BTW it's being discussed now in the main Montana thread.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #56
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
I'm hoping someone with more experience will answer, but glad you found this useful so far.

1. About whether the Montana will recalculate, I've heard mixed information and since you've tried it I believe you. Frankly after all this routing knowledge I've learned (without living with the Montana on the bike much)... I'm going to stick to Tracks when off road so I don't care that much

2. Yes that does sound simpler, I was trying to come up with a solution specific to the person's question but your way sounds simpler. It changes the running stats for the miles you have already traveled though, so technically it is different. YMMV.

3. IF I understand you here, you are using BC to autoroute then having BC "Create a Track" from the Route. Then transfer the Track to the Montana (which can handle 10,000 points in a Track). This is exactly what I plan on using quite a bit, especially for Offroad trips using the Topo 24k maps that can autoroute (in BC) but in the end I will then create a track and use it. ... BTW it's being discussed now in the main Montana thread.

Sounds good to me... Thanks, I normally have used the unit for on-bike road work and mostly with routing. But, with some tracks. Looks like not as much experience as you with that though.

I find the unit actually handles things very well and I do not tend to do much out in the field but simple stuff - preferring to do most of my manipulation in BC at home before or after. But, I think to some it is like a hobby to be able to manage the unit and gps "fun"... which is fine of course.

I find that I use a combination of track and routes depending on my need. For most of my point to point travel - that might have deviations - ie. lunch, gas... site seeing... routing is nice as it will find your way back and get you from A to B.... with little trouble. But then if I have a single track or forest access road or camping in the wilds I will use tracks to be safer with navigation and more accurate. If you know what I mean. It is one of the great reasons I got this unit - to be able to seamlessly do both while on a longer trip.

I also tend to be impatient while riding and don't like to stop too long - so having to add route points on the side of the road etc.... and the like is not my cup of tea. I can calculate time and distance and such - from BC and link up my routes and tracks when I get home and am reliving my trip. To each his own.

Thanks for the thread - I have read the Montana thread start to finish I think twice now and this one is a great resource.

D.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #57
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
...so having to add route points on the side of the road etc.... and the like is not my cup of tea. ...
+1 My use of Routes is still unknown at this point, I need some time in the saddle with it.

Quote:
Thanks for the thread - I have read the Montana thread start to finish I think twice now and this one is a great resource.
OMG

Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #58
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,268
thanks for a much needed info thread ..
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #59
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 745
OK. I will put out what I have learned along with a few tips.

Lets say that you start with someone else's long route and need it to work.

1. Open in Basecamp and let it autoroute using the options you provide.
2. Make a track from the route. (always useful if confusion happens later)
3. Open and change the route to direct mode. (helpful because it takes out the extra hidden points and reduces the size of your route (OK I get it now))
4. You might want to change it back to a non-direct route to check if it has changed for the track.
5. If is fine change it back to a direct route. If not add some points to get it right.
6. Use the list of points and properties box to figure out which is the 50th via point. Do this by selecting the first point and using the shift and down button to select 50 via points. You could copy and paste but there might be an easier way.
7. Now select only the 50th point, right click and click "divide". This will cut the route into two pieces and give them weird names, so it is helpful to change them now. (dirt trail 1, dirt trail 2, .....)
8. If the second piece is still over 50 via points long, repeat the process.
9. Transfer the route to your GPS and verify that it works.

Oh yea Oregon 200 City navigator 2012
2008 SYM HD200

duanew1 screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 12:31 PM
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #60
Mafketel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I have a better option....

Why does garmin not make routing in basecamp as the specific unit you choose.
For the new units you keep the profiles but if you have an older gps it needs to use those rules to calculate the route.

So you can just shape your route as you want deviate one as you want and still get the route set in basecamp.

Then the 50 via points(announced or not) is way enough even in the dense european roadnetwork gfor a days ride.
Unless of course your doing ironbut craziness, but even those will be fine for they usually use the highway anyway
Mafketel is offline   Reply With Quote