Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #121
AlpineGuerrilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Thanks Ghostyman and to everyone who followed and took part in my report. My next trip was to the Balkans, and I just started the ride report here if you're interested.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #122
pumpe3
lazy Swede

Oddometer: 54
Great RR, nice pics and nice movie. About the Statoil cup it's a coffe cup you buy for 199NOK and then you fill it up for free att Statoils in Norway.
And I don't think you missed so much with not going to Sweden (or Finland, Finland eastern part should be nice have'nt been there yet), Sweden is nice and cheap by Norwegian standrads, but Norway what a sight.
pumpe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #123
MustTourEurope
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Very entertaining...and hat's down for taking so much pictures (read: hardwork)
MustTourEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #124
glenn2926
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Thank you

What a video!! Quite possibly the best ride report video I have seen. You have a great way of telling a story and your photography is very very good. You seem to have an eye for what will make a great image. If you enjoyed your ride as much as I enjoyed reading about it then it must have been brilliant. Once again thanks for the report.

Glenn.

glenn2926 screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 08:09 AM Reason: spelling!
glenn2926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #125
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
You are good. Very good. Thanks for all your fine hard work in putting that ride report together.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #126
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Great RR! Hope I will do similar trip this year! Any rider to join?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #127
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Great RR from an accessible (more or less) part of the world that doesn't seem to get much attention.

The Northern part of Scandinavia & Russia always remind me of Northern Canada where I spend so much of my time, so much so it almost seems familiar. We even have our own nickel mine that has poisoned a good part of the landscape over the decades, so much so when the US was getting ready to go to the moon they tested the Lunar Rover there! I can almost smell the pine & spruce and hear the bugs!

I am jealous of Noraway's roads now, but not their taxes.

The SV has a funny depression on the front cylinder head where the plug is, it collects water and kills spark plugs. But you've found that out already.
The fix is easy, coat the front plug & spark plug boot with dielectric grease. It is a common problem with SV's.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #128
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,139
Thumb Strong ride, worthy report

Congratulations on a very entertaining report. You brought back some fine nature pictures from Norway, artcard quality.

Along your report a sentiment came across of not having enough interaction with locals. Comparing to ride reports with intense local contact learns that it often is triggered by an ailing motorcycle. Yours proved most reliable, would you consider a trade-off?

Your final remarks were a good addition to the report. All of them. And indeed, how to answer "how was it" but with "have a seat, it may take a while!"
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #129
AlpineGuerrilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cheers guys, thank you for all the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Along your report a sentiment came across of not having enough interaction with locals. Comparing to ride reports with intense local contact learns that it often is triggered by an ailing motorcycle. Yours proved most reliable, would you consider a trade-off?
That's a very interesting thought. Reliability is important to me, but reading this, maybe it wouldn't be too bad if something actually broke and I needed local help. Touch wood.
The sometimes missing interaction was at times deliberate - I enjoyed the solitude and freedom on this trip. The experience of having the possibility to take every turn, both in thought and the real world, really opened up a lot for me.

Interacting with people is something I am practising since and maybe one day I can overcome feeling uncomfortable taking pictures of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Your final remarks were a good addition to the report. All of them. And indeed, how to answer "how was it" but with "have a seat, it may take a while!"
Very good comeback, I will use it if I may. Being ready for this question (and the short answering time) after the second trip, I prepared a few anecdotes I would tell interested folks. For example, border crossing stories always get a chuckle from guys not familiar with this kind of travel.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #130
Mika S
JC & MC: Double Freedom

Oddometer: 167
Great adventure, great report! Are you a professional photographer? You've got the eye!
Mika S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #131
Mika S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGuerrilla View Post
Having printed out a fair amount of maps I got on yandex.ru (the russian version of Google), I still wanted to get some real maps. I find detail maps of Karelia and Murmansk region in a book store. The Karelia map is one of the most beautifully made maps I've ever seen. Sorry, I'm a map nerd.

Which maps did you use?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #132
AlpineGuerrilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika S View Post
Great adventure, great report! Are you a professional photographer? You've got the eye!
Thanks Mika. I'm not anything close to that, no. I wish. In my opinion, taking some decent shots has a lot to do with knowing your camera, taking lots of pictures (so you can sort out 90% before showing them) and analysing pictures (taken by others) you like to find out what caught your attention and what makes that picture what it is.

One of my favourite web comics, Abstruse Goose, has a strip that summarizes the second point:

Quote:

Corollary: The most prolific people in the world suck 99% of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika S View Post
Which maps did you use?
These are excerpts of those two maps I bought in the store of the Russian National Library at the Nevsky Prospekt.

(sorry, only a bad low-light cell phone pic, no camera at hand)

Old 02-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #133
Mika S

Thanks AG, this is very helpful! PTL for cell phone cameras! I'll use your pictures when I go and visit the shop at Nevsky Prospect. (I'm actually in St Pete now and planning to make a short trip to Karelia in June.)

I like maps, too, you know...

I agree on what you say about an analytical look at other people's pics (and your own I guess). Yes and I also believe you're right about selecting pictures out of the mass (funny comic you've got there ). But it's still necessary to have an eye for the composition and light and what ever there is that makes a great shot.

All in all, I've enjoyed your story and pictures, not forgetting the video. Thanks! Ride safe!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #134
2eddies
2eddies

Oddometer: 109
Thanks for the great ride!

AG, Thank you for taking the time to do this report. I agree that travelling alone heightens the sensibilities...it also seems to make great ride reports even better. The photos and videos are first class. Enjoy the Balkans and Armenia! I hope you continue to take us along on your future trips...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649853
East of Eden's Fires - 8/2011 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717546
2eddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #135
white_bear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Question A bit Farther Trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *wookie* View Post
Incidentally, I noticed a couple of inmates mentioned similar plans this year - I'd be happy to hook up for stretch (the Russian bit?) if anyone is up for it? Lemme know. T.
I am planning a trip from Cologne, Germany to Vladivostok, Russia. The actual route has not been set through europe, and after the Urals, you just point the bike east until you run out of land. Departure date is around 1 June 2013.

So far, I have not decided on any particular countries to get to Russia, but I think I will avoid Belarus. Ukraine and Russia will be some pain enough all by themself. Some stops along the way are fine, with a fixed date of 30 June/1 July to be in Vladivostok. The bike will be stored in Vladivostok or shipped back to Moscow.

My partner has decided to bail out so I am looking for any riding partner(s) for all or any portions of the trip. I expect motel/hotel in western Russia and more camping the farther east one goes. I have a Suzuki DR650 and will not be a speed demon. I would expect a daily 600-675Km/375-425Mi per day average to go the distance. The general route would be to follow the Trans Siber Railway.

If anyone is interested in the trip or parts of it, PM me with email address. I speak English, pretty good Spanish, and beginner Russian. I can get along on signs, map, and the Moscow Metro. After that, it is cave man talk...

I hope some are interested, I will try to post a ride report and spot tracking as well. Whatever you think, this will be an adventure for someone from USA, and create memories.

Comments?? Advice?? Whatever...
wb
white_bear is offline   Reply With Quote