Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #16
the maestro
Mountain Biker

Oddometer: 9
Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mziegler View Post
I don't speak Spanish, so I was hoping to be able to do this in English...what do you think the chance are there?
Also any idea of the amount of time I should allow for this process? I a day enough?

Also - does it have to be a bonded storage facility? I have a friend, who has a friend .....who he thinks might be able to store my bike...but it sounds like that would not work if I want to leave the country.

Thanks so much for your help

I stored my moto in Costa Rica last month. You may be able to accomplish this without speaking Spanish, but it will be much easier with a little Spanish. I checked out Coco's but went with Aeromar because it was a little cheaper ($80/month vs. roughly $60, but like most things, price is somewhat fluid and negotiable). Danny at Aeromar speaks English, the guy I spoke with at Coco's spoke a little. No one at customs spoke English. A blog about CR storage had mentioned a guy named Mario at customs who spoke perfect English, but he wasn't around when I was there. It also said that customs had a list of storage places; they didn't.

I think you could do it in a day, I gave myself 3 days. Day 1 I stopped by customs, made sure of the process, checked out Coco's, Aeromar, and a third place that was really expensive. I also prepped my bike and gear for storage. Day 2 I went to Aeromar, stored the bike, got my paperwork, then went to customs and suspended my TVIP. Done.

If you are leaving the country for longer than the time you have remaining on your TVIP, you have to store it at an almacen fiscal (bonded warehouse). I asked customs about leaving it with a friend, they said no. They need certain paperwork from the warehouse in order to suspend your TVIP. If you are not going to exceed your TVIP, you could leave and return, just make sure the moto is out of the country before the TVIP expires.

When I return, I first need to purchase insurance, then go to customs to reinstate my TVIP, then go to the warehouse and get my bike. I'll let you know how it goes...
the maestro is offline   Reply With Quote