Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
I still feel a loss of power, but agree it has to be verified.

That's whats called a "self fulfilling prophecy" you think it has lost power therefore you feel it has lost power.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
rride OP
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
That's whats called a "self fulfilling prophecy" you think it has lost power therefore you feel it has lost power.
Maybe, but I can't afford to take chances. It backfired this morning as well which its never done ever. But I did all I can do until I couldn't do no more.

I needed the verification more than the President did (he drives a Lexus or better). One day old with 300 scrape marks, some very deep, complaints from every staff member, and repaired in 15 minutes says there is a reasonable indication and strong likelihood of negligence and incompetence. The vendors were clowns, and hopefully won't be back.

I'm covered if something happens later, "self fulfilling prophecy" or not: loud exhaust noises in next few weeks from header gaskets or crossover gasket. As well, everyone here will not be bottoming out their vehicles and our school will not have the liability incurred over time. It would be an embarrassment to the school that they would allow such a liability constructed on the parking lot.

For everyone's sake, this positive action maybe could be considered a "self fulfilling prophecy." And I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I hate speed bumps

There are nine of the things to negotiate in the 1 km from my apartment to my office, which I generally cover on a bicycle. They are all over the place around these parts, even on the roads through villages, so I encounter plenty when I am out and about on my motorcycle.

As "traffic calming" they are not very effective. They just cause people to slow down momentarily and inconveniently, disrupting the flow of traffic. Where I was in England there were some, which they replaced with strategically located chicanes.

I have two approaches to speed bumps.

One is to take them on at speed, square on. Just continue apace, pulling back on the handlebars, and raising bum from saddle as the bike hits the bump. It works OK on my motorcycle, but it has led to a few broken spokes on my bicycle, which has no suspension front or rear.

My low speed approach is to take them on at an angle, which smooths the way somewhat.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
...I touched the brakes at the top to keep from falling over,
Explain that part to us again please....
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #20
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
I assumed he meant he dragged a bit of rear brake while feathering the clutch....but it does read weird.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #21
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,978
'Round here, speed humps / bumps / tables do not extend all the way to the curb, because that would dam water flow on the road.

So, my typical strategy when riding is to just tuck the wheels into the edge area where there is no obstacle. And that usually requires no slowing on my part.

I don't do this when there are vehicles that are blocking the ingress / egress of the edge, or when it's full of gravel and assorted debris following winter but before the street sweepers have had their say.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #22
rride OP
Honda NH 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
I probably did not do it correctly. I usually put both brakes on simultaneously, except reactions on the front brake. I about came to a stop on the crest of the high speed breaker, started to tip over the irregular high bump, and touched my front brake. Then when I rolled over, bam, on the exhaust 2 middle pipes.

It probably rocked and would have been different in different parts of the length of the breaker. When I showed the President, withtou 70 lbs of pc pack and books, I barely made it over finessing it. So I moved over 6" and went over it normally at 2 mph, bam! Same with every small car, and they are all 'new' small cars in CA (because rip off mechanics here will screw your 'used' car every visit).

The tight fisted President was convinced. I hope so. It was not as bad of a bam, since I was not carrying 70 extra pounds of payload and finessed it to minimize the bang. Since going over it twice now and day instead of night, I had a small learning curve. I still had to psyche myself up to do it, like concentrating on lifting weights near your limit.

I did it for the 'team' of owners in the school. The President just needed convincing before he had the contractors cut it down in the next 15 minutes elapsed time. I just wanted to be sure I would be compensated if need be. All the professors were raising hell as well.

When I say slow to avoid banging it, I mean walking the bike up to balance, or cars going about 1 inch per 20 seconds. There would have been a bottleneck there for 30 minutes if 5 cars were in line, which would back it out into the road. The 15 minutes bump-cut job, while cars were riding over it looked like a 'crack' job that aptly described the lead contractor that particular day (on payday I presume).

And remember, this bump was constructed while I was at school at night without any paint to distinguish the height until I was riding over it. Its not an excuse, but a benefit of the doubt difference since I convinced the person paying the bills. He was just happy I didn't need $800 new pipes :-)

rride screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 09:22 AM
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 476
I deal with stuff like this all the time. Your school cut corners by hiring cheap unlicensed contractors who didn't build the bumps to code.

So, it's the school's responsibility to compensate you for damages. They will bluff. If you have time and it's worth it to you, file in small claims court. It's not expensive. Whether or not you will have to show up in court, your school will get the notice and likely compensate you either way.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I wanna darn photo!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #25
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 1,486
That is another reason why I ride dual sport.

RIDE RED!
WTB: Honda XR650L bottom end
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #26
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,457
One of the reasons I like adventure bikes as road bikes is that they cope so well with all the nonsense "traffic calming"* measures the powers that be litter all our roads with. At legal speeds, I can just stand up and hit speed bumps without backing off.

*read, "driver infuriating".
Old 03-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
rride OP
Honda NH 750

I need to get better photos since I did add another indent from the slower bang, for the President. But I got a comical film clip if we can put those on here. I just need to listen to it first before I release it.

They did just like a poster said here, they recut the bump in 15 minutes, while cars were running over it Monday morning. And when I was out there with the camera, the vendors and school officials were out there distracting me.

But I checked at the shop, which I will start using, and they said it should be negligible. The wrench just sold a BMW F650 which is my other bike. He said it did have scrape marks on the exhaust running down and the little dents, but the wrench said the longer impression looked like it had been there for a while. So although I feel there is a distinct loss of power, the evidence does not support that until it gets louder. Then I will get all new header gaskets, crossover gasket, and probably a crossover tube.

I don't want to gouge my thrifty school. They are the top school in their field and the cheapest to go to as well. I would rather not cause them any hardship that may reflect in my grades at a private school as well. I was not going to let a liability incur on my finances and not say anything. I said something, documented it good enough pictorially, and then checked it out with a respectable bike shop (ie - not an oem shop).

But I greatly appreciate the support here on this forum. It armed me with knowledge to defend myself properly. As for the contractor on crack, I hope I at least reduced his business at our school. I figure the less 'pay days' he gets, the less crack days he has also: its for his own good!