ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #27061
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 748
BTW I went riding this past weekend with a group from Alabama, had a great time. First time camping off the bike, and really enjoyed riding with a new (to me) group. Even got to try out my new hammock. will post a video later this week but for now...

SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #27062
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,736
Just in case anyone is looking....

2004 FJR1300 ABS

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post20993725

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #27063
ABuck99

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
I need some help figuring out a problem, and I figure this is a good place to start. I have to wear glasses or contacts to see anything. I tried wearing glasses under my goggles years ago, but that wasn't good because the glasses bounce around, and you end up looking through 2 layers of fog/dust between the glasses and the goggles. Contacts work great... for a while. After say an hour of regular riding or a single lap of a hare scramble, my vision gets bad. Things get out of focus and depth perception goes away. I am 99% the problem is that my contacts are drying out and no longer the right shape to correct my vision. This would be caused by not blinking enough and dehydration. What to do? I was wondering about those sports "goggle glasses" like I have seen kids wear to play soccer. I was thinking if they had a good elastic band to secure them, they wouldn't bounce around. Anyone use those MX style goggles with the prescription inserts?
TIA
Another option : Using your glasses with a Dualsport Helmet that has a drop down face shield: $125 to $600 >> MSR (Expedition)$125, AFX $130, AGV ACX8 EVO $399, Arai XD4 $539 to mention a few. Scott also re-vamped their OTG design- new version is called "Split" seems to be popular, AF lens included.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #27064
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
as others said look into Lasik. I had PRK about a year ago and it has changed my riding for the better. I'm blind without my contacts but having the surgery was great and I enjoy riding and outdoor activities a lot more now not having to worry.

that being said at least one person I ride with has the prescription sport glasses (he doesn't use them with goggles, he used them instead of goggles). that seems to work well for him, and I think would be the best option if you want/have to stick with contacts or lenses.
I checked in to LASIK. I didn't do it for 2 reasons. One is that my vision keeps changing, and they said my corneas were very thin and they wouldn't be able to go back in and open the flap up and give me a tune up a few years down the road. The people I know that have had it have all had their vision change as they moved into their late 40's. The other reason is that I would ahve always had to carry a pair of "cheaters" with me to read small print.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #27065
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
Another option : Using your glasses with a Dualsport Helmet that has a drop down face shield: $125 to $600 >> MSR (Expedition)$125, AFX $130, AGV ACX8 EVO $399, Arai XD4 $539 to mention a few. Scott also re-vamped their OTG design- new version is called "Split" seems to be popular, AF lens included.
I have the Shoei version, in KTM orange and black, no less. I love it for street/easy DS riding with a pair of prescription sunglasses. But the glasses still bounce around with aggressive offroad riding, plus dust comes up from the chin area.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #27066
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
... a group from Alabama
Was DeBandi, Porter or Bart in this Elite Group
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #27067
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Was DeBandi, Porter or Bart in this Elite Group
not that I know of. I heard them mention Debandi so I know he wasn't there. as for the others, no idea. :)

as for the lasik- I had to have PRK which is where they do not use a flap, they use a laser to reshape your eye. down time is longer, and it's more painful (they only do one eye at a time) but it's better for those with thin corneas. If you want to talk about it, feel free to PM me and I can give you a referral. BTW I'm in my mid 40's but my prescription hasn't changed much recently.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #27068
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
I need some help figuring out a problem, and I figure this is a good place to start. I have to wear glasses or contacts to see anything. I tried wearing glasses under my goggles years ago, but that wasn't good because the glasses bounce around, and you end up looking through 2 layers of fog/dust between the glasses and the goggles. Contacts work great... for a while. After say an hour of regular riding or a single lap of a hare scramble, my vision gets bad. Things get out of focus and depth perception goes away. I am 99% the problem is that my contacts are drying out and no longer the right shape to correct my vision. This would be caused by not blinking enough and dehydration. What to do? I was wondering about those sports "goggle glasses" like I have seen kids wear to play soccer. I was thinking if they had a good elastic band to secure them, they wouldn't bounce around. Anyone use those MX style goggles with the prescription inserts?
TIA
As others said go with the dual sport helmet option. I picked up this (although a different color) from a member here about a year ago:

Fulmer Dalton Hwy Helmet. I've used it on road, off road, and around some motocross tracks and have had no problems with my glasses and dust. In extreme dusty conditions you can run goggles under the shield on most ADV helmets like this. You may also want to look into OTG Goggles (Over The Glasses Goggles). I've used these on motocross tracks in conjunction with tear offs with good success.

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #27069
marshy19
Georgia Clay

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
TIA
Since I could not go the surgery route and tired of getting infections due to getting construction debris (Basement project from HELL) in my soft contact lens, my doctor recommended Paragon CRT. http://www.paragoncrt.com/ It relatively new (2004). Simply you wear hard contact lens while you sleep. It reshapes your cornea and during the day you have perfect vision with out glasses or contacts! After 3 years, I love em and will never go back to soft contacts. My doctor is Dr. Byra / Dr. Forche at Five Points Eye Care Athens, GA. http://www.fivepointseyecare.com/

The initial cash outlay is around $1000 but after the first year, it is just a yearly vision checkup. New lens are around $175/ea if you break or need a new one.

Looking for the next perfect trail...
marshy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #27070
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
video from The General GNCC

http://youtu.be/cmoK9pOBSJg

This is one of our local 40 A riders. He finished 3rd Sunday at the GNCC.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #27071
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
K. Russell

Your overall winner for the day!
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #27072
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,071
Wibley gets the hole shot! Imagine that!
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #27073
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,071
Man, he sees alternate lines quickly.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S