Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
warejn
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I am doing the same. I had a 94 KLR that I sold on 06 with 47k on it. I loved it, rode it all over, not the best off road, not the best on road. It was one of my favorite bike I have owned.

I have a 1200 sportster that I am selling now and I think I have decided on a DR650. Partly for something different and Suzuki has 400 bucks off and 0% financing right now which brings the sticker on a left over 2012 to 5400 ish. It's going to be the first new bike I have ever owned.
warejn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
bigkatie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
New dualsport

You owe it to yourself to take a Husqvarna Terra 650 for a test ride and you will will see why all the veteran riders that have had many bikes including the ones you are considering are so sold on this bike. Read some of the posts requarding it in this thumper section. I rode one and was very impressed.If I had to get down to one bike the Terra would be it. Good Luck in your search!
bigkatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkatie View Post
You owe it to yourself to take a Husqvarna Terra 650 for a test ride and you will will see why all the veteran riders that have had many bikes including the ones you are considering are so sold on this bike. Read some of the posts requarding it in this thumper section. I rode one and was very impressed.If I had to get down to one bike the Terra would be it. Good Luck in your search!
The Terra is a great DS bike that I think should be a much better choice than say a KLR or DR for a long distance bike, but still decently capable off road, although a bit heavy, but not bad.

However, with BMW dumping Husky and the Terra is using BMW's G650GS motor in its bike, that could very well become a 1 year only bike which might be a bit scary owning one now. I really had high hopes for that bike and its a shame it might become the victim of Husky being sold.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
Thumper74 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I like the 650 Terra, but I was really looking for something used, though a warranty is appealing working 80 hour weeks right now.

I have a friend who's the sales manager at a Kawasaki dealer and can get me a sweet deal on a new 2012 KLR. Local-ish Suzuki dealer is selling DR650SEs for $4800. If I could get a deal on the Husky, it would be the best overall bike in the $6-7,000 new range.
Thumper74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
bigkatie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
New Dualsport

New Terra on E-bay for $ 6500.The engine in Terra is Rotax,I don't think you would have trouble with parts in the future.Have you considerd a used Husky Te610 or 630? Also great bikes!
bigkatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
ejbeert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Well I hope this helps. I currently own an 06 Ulysses with bags an mad stad shield and a 09 klr 650 similarly equipped ,with the addition of Jd Jetting and 16 tooth CS sprocket. You could say the buell is more street less dirt the klr is more dirt less street. Mostly I use both for secondary roads and graded gravel both are good for both I actually like the klr better over all
ejbeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
go red

my vote is for the xr650r!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper74 View Post
My intent with the dual sport would be more touring with the ability to go somewhere that requires more than 5" of ground clearance, plus light trail riding if I decide to try it. Mostly fireroads I suspect. I would like to ride to Alaska in a few years, but we'll see.
There is an awful lot of highway between Alaska and anywhere in the lower 48, and many riders make the trip every year on Gold Wings and full dress Harleys. At least one rider has done it on a TW200, so anything is possible.

I rode up there on an XT500 and had a good time, but that was before you were born and we didn't know any better back then. Also, the roads have been improved in 35 years. Today I'd want something more civilized, like a Suzuki V-Strom.

If you decide to try dirt riding, please try it on one of the 250s the others have suggested. A fuel-injected Honda or Yamaha 250 works a lot better on the street than a 650 HonSuzaKaw works in the dirt.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
There is an awful lot of highway between Alaska and anywhere in the lower 48, and many riders make the trip every year on Gold Wings and full dress Harleys. At least one rider has done it on a TW200, so anything is possible.

I rode up there on an XT500 and had a good time, but that was before you were born and we didn't know any better back then. Also, the roads have been improved in 35 years. Today I'd want something more civilized, like a Suzuki V-Strom.

If you decide to try dirt riding, please try it on one of the 250s the others have suggested. A fuel-injected Honda or Yamaha 250 works a lot better on the street than a 650 HonSuzaKaw works in the dirt.
+1. I rode to AK on a Vstrom 650 in 06 and I would not want to do it on anything smaller or more thumperish unless I was taking way more time for the trip and not running so much highway. If I really had the time to explore off highway off road type riding in AK, I would love a smaller DS, but that takes a lot of time too. BigDogAdventures had a really nice AK ride report on his WR250R with his buddy Dingleweeds on one also, but they really got out there in the back country and explored places you would not want to take a bigger bike, so it was worth it. For most people who are just doing AK on a limited time, they have to make mileage every day and they often focus on just the Dalton and getting to the Prudhoe Bay, but is like 1/8th - 1/10th of the total mileage of your trip. That makes the rest of the trip miserable if you are putting in long hours in the saddle every day at 75+ mph on a thumper. Goldwings and Harley's have made the Pruhdhoe Bay run many times and its pretty much capable on any bike as long as road conditions allow.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #25
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,803
I bleed orange, so my first response is to say the KTM 690 enduro is your best choice.

But because you showed signs of a more budget minded choice, dont disregard a Suzuki DRZ 400. Little more pep than than the 650's, better off road, but still mild mannered enuf for some highway time.

And I wouldnt be afraid of the BMW 650X Challenge as another great choice. Id take that any day over a KLR/DR/XR

My money would still point towards a 690R - Yes its worth every penny !!!
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #26
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
i bleed orange, so my first response is to say the ktm 690 enduro is your best choice.

But because you showed signs of a more budget minded choice, dont disregard a suzuki drz 400. Little more pep than than the 650's, better off road, but still mild mannered enuf for some highway time.

And i wouldnt be afraid of the bmw 650x challenge as another great choice. Id take that any day over a klr/dr/xr

my money would still point towards a 690r - yes its worth every penny !!!
+1
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote