Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #31
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,362
I have secret trails....no kooks allowed!

The bikes are like all day barrel rides, surfing is now over rated.
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #32
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
As some mentioned, white water kayaking can give you that zen feeling very nicely. Total concentration and no worries about the non-immediate future because there is no room for it. The oneness with the river if it is not too wild (then all you do is try and get some separation from the river )

That can also be achieved when surfing I guess (never really did it). Or even better (opinions...), snowboarding. Snowboarding is like a very long wave that is always there. Especially on a powder day. Always looking a few turns ahead, where the most harmonious track will be, cruising along just the right line mother nature laid down for us. Or "snowboard trials" in the woods, and the feeling you get when you manage a harmonious line there as well. Beautiful.

All these things really have an impact on my cycling and motorbiking, you are totally right. Getting on the bike after several days on the board does not require much relearning, but often shows immediate progress. Everything goes smoother and nicer. The longer I ride, the smaller the improvements, but also the finer my senses get to notice them.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #33
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
I know this sounds outrageous and not true, but a buddy of mine craps in his wetsuit.
..Dude, you need to find some new friends.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #34
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 399
Man, I haven't surfed in... over ten years now. But recently I met a coworker who used to surf a lot, and we've been talking about it and now we're both jonesing for it. Not sure how I'm gonna get a board on the bike, though...

It really is sad about the vibe in surfing, though. It's one of the things that kept me from coming back- I live in the Bay Area now, so the closest real surf culture is Santa Cruz, and they really agro about it.

Here's to the man in the gray suit! May he feed and be happy far away from me.
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #35
stoke OP
ocean minded

Oddometer: 484
ha, that guy...an interesting individual for sure. you definitely don't want to borrow his wetsuit.

I paddled out today; definitely putting a board rack on the bike. parking was a chore and it's only going to get worse with summer coming.

the vibe is there, eventually you just accept it and it becomes a part of you. it's just the culture and that's fine. what's not fine is that guy that ditched his board in front of me today, gave me a bleeding scalp cut from the fins on his board, and then told me to "watch it". I ended up chasing him out of the water. that's some dangerous stuff he's doing and if I didn't call him out, he would do it to someone else.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #36
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,236
nothing like pulling on someones leash

what the hell, surfing and motorcycling are both good for the soul

Double H screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 06:55 PM
Double H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #37
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double H View Post
nothing like pulling on someones leash

what the hell, surfing and motorcycling are both good for the soul
"hey Burkhart, wanna buy some photos?"
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #38
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Both have that living in the moment feeling that I find extremely addictive. For the longest time I didn't realize it's my need for zen that drove me to spend so much time surfing and riding. I've also been able to achieve zen while fishing, machining parts, flying stunt kites, riding bicycles etc. My hobbies and the enjoyable parts of my work all centered around that zen feeling even though I didn't realize it until recently. I'm at my best when I'm not aware of anything else.
I hadn't thought about it, but that may be one of the reasons I like riding. When I'm on the bike, I am in the here and now. It gives me a chance to not think of anything else like I normally would.

I've never surfed, but I would like to someday.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #39
stoke OP
ocean minded

Oddometer: 484
I have a theory...

that most motorcyclists would make good surfers and vice versa.

my surfing buddy, who barely rides a bike, nailed the tight low speed u turns and such in his MSF class first time every time. we talked about it, and it's because he's so used to looking where he wants to go on the wave. that's still my weakness, every once in awhile I look down right when I pop up and usually that results in a fall.

that didn't help him on the shifting part of the class that he couldn't master this go around (just didn't "get" the clutch), but he's taking it again soon.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #40
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,508
I've never surfed but I have found the exact same parallel between riding and skiing. Same deal, need to focus, clears one's head, etc. I've made that point to people many times.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #41
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
I've never surfed but I have found the exact same parallel between riding and skiing. Same deal, need to focus, clears one's head, etc. I've made that point to people many times.
As a snowboarder that also skis (never surfed) I agree with the clear head good observation comments. Order of learning each skill = Snowboard, Motorcycle, Skis

Also I found that off-road motorcycling/mountain biking helped the skiing due to weighting the outside foot more in a turn. My ski instructor actually said normally motorcyclists that try to ski weight the inside foot - I then asked if she knew if they stayed on the road or whether the ever used a racetrack or went off-road - she thought they had only been road riders.

Motorcycling in general helped my balance on both the snowboard and skis. I actually learnt to ride a motorcycle after the snowboard and there were some steeps that I always crashed my snowboard on as I was leaning back too much whilst entering the steep sections. Motorcycling and being used to not leaning back when rapidly heading towards potential hazards sorted out a 'headspace' issue that was causing me to lean back on snow equipment. I had one of my best snowboard trips ever about 3 months after I learnt to motorcycle.

EggChaser screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 10:47 AM
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #42
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I have found it really hard to balance what to do on my days off from work. If I go riding to malibu, I wish I had brought my truck and surfboard, and if I go surfing I start to think of how good of a day it would have been to go riding

But really, I have found that my surfing skills helped me improve my riding, with regards to coordination and upper and lower body strength.

Any riders find a decent way to carry a 9' 2" on their bikes yet

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #43
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
born to carve

i think we are born to carve, that g force , the feel of your edge on the edge using you body to compensate , your brain telling you every move and the joy of the roost, fishtail,
priceless
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #44
Andy Strapz
Andy

Oddometer: 13
Time to totally zone out

I agree that there are lots of similarities in all these "rush" sports. What I love about surfing is the time I can sit out the back, waiting for a set and just totally zone out. Sitting on my board checking out the sea, the coast and absorbing the calm. Seriously dangerous on a bike! And... falling off can be fun in the water.

Yeah, there is a serious lack of etiqutte in the ocean these days. We shouldn't lose sight of this and always acknowledge and consider a fellow rider.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #45
i_4ce
wants a WeeStrom

Oddometer: 230
Is there a surf board equivelant of a Harley? longboard?