ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #3991
Motorcyclelad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Just joined ADV today.

Hello fellow Iowans. Just to introduce myself, I ride an 08 DR650 and a 12 KLR650. Just sold my Yamaha Stratoliner.
I live near Atlantic IA, (halfway between Des Moines and Omaha) I've been riding about 16 years+/-.

Would love to explore new roads, see new things, and meet new people. Let me know if any of you are in my area and would like to go riding. Just put brand new TKC80's on the DR this week.

The first Saturday that's halfway not freezing I'm heading up to West Bend to check out the Grotto, let me know if anyone knows some good riding in that direction, or wants to meet up somewhere and go together.

I've actually been using the ADV site to answer all my motorcycling questions for many years, but finally joined. (the wife and I have 4 kids, so I don't have too much spare time)

Hope to hear from ya'll!
Motorcyclelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #3992
cornfield destroyer
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Des Moines Here
09 R1200GSA
cornfield destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #3993
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Welcome to the children of the corn! I live in Ankeny, I have a couple of KTM's and a Yamaha Tenere from Nishna Valley over in your neck of the field. Looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate anytime soon. There is some wonderful riding in NE Iowa & SW Wisconsin.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #3994
Motorcyclelad
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRW9751 View Post
Welcome to the children of the corn! I live in Ankeny, I have a couple of KTM's and a Yamaha Tenere from Nishna Valley over in your neck of the field. Looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate anytime soon. There is some wonderful riding in NE Iowa & SW Wisconsin.
Thanks! I was just at Nishna Valley a week ago drooling over the white '13 Tenere with black engine guards and yamaha paniers. Love it. Would you highly recommend the Tenere?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #3995
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Welcome Motorcyclelad!
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #3996
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Hello there, DSM here, I own a 2007 G750xmoto.

BMW MOA# 192310
scooter noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #3997
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Moto Sports

Gotta tell you guys about my night at Moto Sports. I e-mailed Doug (owner) early in the day asking if he could put on my new front tire and sprockets and chain. I had a business meeting about a block away from 4-5 pm, so I dropped off the KTM off at 3:45 and headed to the meeting. I got back a little after 5, and jumped in trying to help Doug. He let me work in his shop and with his tools, which is pretty cool. We found a few things that needed extra attention, such as a front caliper that was not quite right. He gave me some direction of what to do while he was busy working on other parts of the bike.

He was supposed to close at 7 pm. We finished at 8. Then, Doug and his wife spent time to make sure that my KTM was registered with KTM USA so that I could get notice of recalls and such. Doug probably spent the better part of three hours working on my bike.

He charged me less than $100 in labor.

Orangecicle screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 09:43 PM
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #3998
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, Doug is a GREAT guy for sure!

BMW MOA# 192310
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #3999
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
My Tenere has been Great! I wish the White would have been available in 12' mine is Black. Dennis and Rod are both top notch. We've got some really good dealers around here right now. MotoSports, Struthers, Hicklin, really can't think of a bad one!
Only thing Bad is the weather!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #4000
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Gotta tell you guys about my night at Moto Sports. I e-mailed Doug (owner) early in the day asking if he could put on my new front tire and sprockets and chain. I had a business meeting about a block away from 4-5 pm, so I dropped off the KTM off at 3:45 and headed to the meeting. I got back a little after 5, and jumped in trying to help Doug. He let me work in his shop and with his tools, which is pretty cool. We found a few things that needed extra attention, such as a front caliper that was not quite right. He gave me some direction of what to do while he was busy working on other parts of the bike.

He was supposed to close at 7 pm. We finished at 8. Then, Doug and his wife spent time to make sure that my KTM was registered with KTM USA so that I could get notice of recalls and such. Doug probably spent the better part of three hours working on my bike.

He charged me less than $100 in labor.

I'm not sure who I talked to on the phone, but he was very accommodating and friendly. I was hoping to pick up my throttle cable this Sat - since I'd be in Des Moines anyway. They don't' stock it, so that wasn't going to happen. Most places would leave it at that.

But the guy at Motosports ( I should have gotten his name) told me he'd be happy to make a custom cable for me on the spot, or have a delivery service ship it here to Newton. It's obvious he wants to make his customers happy. I mean, I could see him really trying to help me out if I were a loyal customer or if I had spent thousands on a bike from them. But, nope, I'm just some guy he's never talked to that needs a cable.

I'm planning on just heading over there after the part comes in, but I was really impressed by the customer service.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #4001
4STAR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
welcome Motorcyclelad

I'm in Storm Lake. Let me know when your heading to West Bend and maybe I can join you.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #4002
Motorcyclelad
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4STAR View Post
I'm in Storm Lake. Let me know when your heading to West Bend and maybe I can join you.

For sure. I'll ride as cold as 42 deg if it's sunny, but don't have any fancy warm gear, so that's about as cold as I'll go. I'll probably try to head north the first halfway warm Saturday that comes along. I'll let you know.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #4003
4STAR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
sounds good to me. I ride a 2003 DL1000. That tem. and sun work for me
Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #4004
Motorcyclelad
Adventurer

Cool motorcycle events coming up this spring!

First of all, Nishna Valley Cycle in Atlantic Iowa is having an open house this Saturday:

Second, Baxter Cycle in Marne Iowa is May 18th 9-5:

I've been to both, and they are both great, but there's just something so cool about Baxter Cycle's open house. It's this tiny place in the middle of nowhere, a town of maybe 120 people that just gets packed with every kind of motorcycle you can imagine, and every type of rider. Last year there was a guy towing a kayak behind a Triumph Scrambler all the way to 1930's and 40's vintage.
The free food is nice also!

Know any great events coming up? Let us all know! Also, let everybody know if you're coming, it would be cool to meet people on here.

(I hope this all posts, this is my first time posting pics)

Motorcyclelad
Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #4005
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

I won't be able to make the Marne one, but l shouldn't have any problem making the Baxter Cycle Open House.

BMW MOA# 192310