Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #1696
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,101
Not bitter, just tired of the same old BS. I try to explain what and why things are the way they are from a serious cyclist's POV and get this kind of shit.

Y'all won't believe what's posted anyways, so why bother going thru the trouble to find data? You want to disprove it, google it on your own and post up the links/data/charts.

Other cars/trucks 'get in the way' LOTS more often than any cyclist yet I'M supposed to get off the road? How does that make sense?

M
Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #1697
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,503
Get out of the way, and live to ride another day...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #1698
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Not bitter, just tired of the same old BS. I try to explain what and why things are the way they are from a serious cyclist's POV and get this kind of shit.

Y'all won't believe what's posted anyways, so why bother going thru the trouble to find data? You want to disprove it, google it on your own and post up the links/data/charts.

Other cars/trucks 'get in the way' LOTS more often than any cyclist yet I'M supposed to get off the road? How does that make sense?

M
Gee, are we married? We must be and been married a long time for you to be able to read my mind. By all means find the data and publish here. You can't find numbers to satisfy you, can you? So you are now claiming to read my mind that doing so would be a waste of your time.

Bitter angry and probably deserving of the aggression visited upon you by the cagers would be my bet.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #1699
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Gee, are we married? We must be and been married a long time for you to be able to read my mind. By all means find the data and publish here. You can't find numbers to satisfy you, can you? So you are now claiming to read my mind that doing so would be a waste of your time.
Haven't looked past what I posted above. I'm fairly sure that MCing is more dangerous than bicycling, but don't care enough beyond that to look. I enjoy both and won't stop doing either.

Nor am I going to stop riding assertively on either.

Quote:
Bitter angry and probably deserving of the aggression visited upon you by the cagers would be my bet.
Nice. So everyone that gets in your way or inconveniences you deserves what they get? ...or is it just me? Think about what you're wishing ON ANOTHER MC RIDER with that sentiment.

One idiot on the road today. ..in a GOVT car no less! Passing into oncoming traffic. Wish I'd had enough time to get the plate, but since they were passing too quickly I couldn't. Good thing the car coming at us dove into the turn lane that started about where the govt car tried to pass my buddy and I.

...and that's my fault how again?!

M
Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #1700
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,933
Quote:
Have you got a stat on that but per km or per mile?
Have you got any stats that prove differently? Do you really expect to easily find comparative stats like that, if at all?
Besides, what does miles traveled really have to do with deaths. Of course motorcycles are going to have higher miles...unless its a guy on a Harley owner on poker runs. One dead person is one dead person.

Quote:
Wow - you're one bitter old man, aren't you?

Anyway, I didn't see per mile / km injuries or fatalities for bicycles or motorcycles there. What'd I miss?
Bitter? Your the one whose been going round and round with him since before the last time I posted on this thread. What are you trying to prove?
Hes probably tired of beating his head against the wall trying to talk some sense into you.

Did you even look at the link he provided? In 2011 there were close to seven times more motorcyclists killed then bicyclists. 4,612 verses 677.
That being said I found other websites with differing numbers, not a huge discrepancy but a discrepancy non the less. So what website do you want to hold as factual?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #1701
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,933
Quote:

Nice. So everyone that gets in your way or inconveniences you deserves what they get?
That's what I take away from his, and a few others, posts...

PM sent...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #1702
rodhersh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I ride a lot as well, 180miles/week. I never leave the house without the knowledge that almost everyone out there is trying to kill me. That’s the mindset I ride with on both the bike and the motorcycle. Nothing to get angry about…just the way it is. The key is self-control…not being pushed into doing anything stupid.

I try to be as courteous as possible and never put myself into a position where I can’t escape. Right of way doesn’t enter into the equation. I’m going to lose on the motorcycle and I’m going to lose worse on the bicycle. I don’t play with the road rager, I get out of the way...it ain’t worth dying over.

If the general driving public doesn’t respect me when I drive my ¾ ton diesel pickup they’re damn sure not going to respect anything with two wheels.

Situational awareness is your best friend.
rodhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #1703
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
Situational awareness is your best friend.
Agreed.

As stated before: I'm about the easiest guy to get around when its safe.

...but if it isn't safe, I'm not moving.

You want to be on the other side of the road passing me over a hill or into a blind corner? That's your decision not mine. You won't see me holding a gun to your head saying 'pass me HERE! or die!'

M
Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #1704
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:

M
so ur a serious push bicyclist

i;m not

so you just ignore my post

i don't use the streets as a racing venue

on my bike or cycle

but i've done a lot of miles

commuting on both

you need

to look at things in a different light

go and ride/cycle/drive in a third world country

its amazing how well the system

works in those country's

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #1705
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
so ur a serious push bicyclist

i;m not

so you just ignore my post

i don't use the streets as a racing venue

on my bike or cycle

but i've done a lot of miles

commuting on both

you need

to look at things in a different light

go and ride/cycle/drive in a third world country

its amazing how well the system

works in those country's

cheers
I've driven thru Mexico a fair bit. Once you learn the unwritten rules of the road, it makes sense.

Learning those rules is somewhat stressful.

M
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #1706
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Agreed.

As stated before: I'm about the easiest guy to get around when its safe.

...but if it isn't safe, I'm not moving.

You want to be on the other side of the road passing me over a hill or into a blind corner? That's your decision not mine. You won't see me holding a gun to your head saying 'pass me HERE! or die!'

M
so you judge it isn't safe, you block the lane, Roderage Jr. passes you in the oncoming lane on a blind hill. Head on accident. Roderage kills himself, both adults and two children in the oncoming car. The remaining child in the oncoming car is severely injured and now without parents.

Getting the hint that Roderage was an idiot, you could have pulled off and let him by in your lane. No accident everybody lives, at least this time.

But you didn't. You were more interested in being a self righteous prick. You think you have no responsibility? It took Roderage to pull the trigger, but you handed the fool a loaded gun.

Live with yourself.

Or maybe there is no accident. The oncoming car swerves across the double yellow in time to miss Roderage. Now they are in YOUR lane and coming at you.

You be lucky to live with that one.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #1707
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Jesus dude, how DO you get anywhere when you are responsible for EVERY other road user within eyesight of yourself ?

The rider is trying to keep himself safe - he cannot influence the (lack of) judgement of RoadRage Junior - who's poor decision-making is entirely on HIM.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #1708
bumbeen
Banned

Oddometer: 104
Haha there is no way in hell an atgatt rider who has good judgement and skill has a higher fatality rate per mile than a bicyclists who rides 30mph below the speed limit in the middle of the lane.

Give it up
bumbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #1709
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
Jesus dude, how DO you get anywhere when you are responsible for EVERY other road user within eyesight of yourself ?

The rider is trying to keep himself safe - he cannot influence the (lack of) judgement of RoadRage Junior - who's poor decision-making is entirely on HIM.

You ain't gettin' it.

You're responsible for everyone in sight and a lot who aren't. Fortunately the vast majority of them don't need you to DO anything to exercise your responsibility well. if You don't act like an idiot that's all it takes most of the time. That's how you get somewhere. But a few of them do require some action on your part, including the total idiot who can get into a deadly accident if you set him up for it. You can't keep him/her out of trouble everywhere but right now, in this situation you can act in a way that helps prevent them from exercising their stupidity to the fullest. And this is something you have an ethical and moral responsibility to do. My people have a word for it: mitzvah. Among many things it means duty.

Good day, this thread is getting silly.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #1710
rodhersh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
This really hit home for us today. A teacher at our kid's high school was run down this mornining and left for dead. Please keep Mr Ziegler in your prayers.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/news/5659545-113/west-greeley-police-ziegler
rodhersh is offline   Reply With Quote