Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #7096
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xrboys View Post
Picked up a white one today, premium package w/alloy wheels. It has everything I want, not a light guy so don't care it doesn't have led headlight. Don't think the $1k upcharge to get the led is worth it anyway. Have not ridden it yet (30 degrees and snow here). I got the vario bags and the new mounting system is much more solid than the previous version. The gps mounting set up is very clean so I bought the navigator IV even though I was not planning to. So far am quite impressed with the apparent build quality of the bike. Hopefully will be even more impressed when I get to ride it.
Congratulation with your new ride. It is for sure going to put a smile on your face when the show melts away and you get to ride it. Good choice on the GPS. Have fun with it. Lets see some photos.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #7097
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xrboys View Post
Picked up a white one today, premium package w/alloy wheels. It has everything I want, not a light guy so don't care it doesn't have led headlight. Don't think the $1k upcharge to get the led is worth it anyway. Have not ridden it yet (30 degrees and snow here). I got the vario bags and the new mounting system is much more solid than the previous version. The gps mounting set up is very clean so I bought the navigator IV even though I was not planning to. So far am quite impressed with the apparent build quality of the bike. Hopefully will be even more impressed when I get to ride it.
Hooray Mines been sat in my garage since the day I picked it up, due to a combo of work commitments in the week, and crap weather at the weekends. In the meantime, how about some photos of your new bike.....
RichBMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #7098
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
It's called "design".

(The TT looks very ugly in my eyes btw... beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I would not buy any of the two I said :))
I am going for the ugly look with lots to TT. I am going for the: "so ugly it becomes beautifull"

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalher View Post
Just got off the phone with sales guy from BMW, he's got a GS.... just came in, just doesn't have all the options I ordered. No LED, no tire pressure monitor, and minus a few other nick nacks. At this point I decided to wait for mine. This time he came clean on the situation and said it would be about 4 weeks from today. That's a step forward I guess cause before today I was basically getting the mushroom treatment. The price we have to pay I guess....sucks ass though!!
According to the computer mine has been built over a month ago and is still at the factory waiting transport. (dealer suggest that the production date in the computer isn't correct) I would seriously consider driving there myself to pick it up in person. But I hope to get it within the week.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #7099
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I am going for the: "so ugly it becomes beautifull"
Well why not. Story of BMW GS after all. :)
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #7100
shay
reading is hard

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert John View Post
Re the kickstand enlarger; I've always had them on my GSs. Before I test rode the new LC on Tuesday the manager at the dealership told me that he'd accidentally killed the engine by missing the foot peg while underway and touching the kickstand extension instead. As you all know, that kills the engine. Very dangerous while moving.

He's recommending cutting it off (it looks sort of like a dewclaw on your dog) and putting on any one of the examples from Touratech, Ilium, Wonderlich, etc.

Good idea, I think.
I had wondered if this was possible. I had a look at the new GS at the irish bike show and found the sidestand extension was in the way when changing gears:

shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #7101
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
According to the computer mine has been built over a month ago and is still at the factory waiting transport. (dealer suggest that the production date in the computer isn't correct) I would seriously consider driving there myself to pick it up in person. But I hope to get it within the week.
Don't believe that computer. BMW Motorrad is not using the same software systems for handling dealer and customer orders as they do with their cars. When you order a customized BMW car the dealers will be able to follow every step in the process until it is delivered to them. That is not the case for BMW Motorrad and their motorcycles. The information that is provided by the IT-systems regarding a motorcycle is no way nearly as precise as the info made available for car buyers.

You may feel that the dealer is keeping you in the dark but they don't have access to information and status updates directly from the plan in Berlin. They may however be provided with information about the status on bikes already shipped AND received by the country specific importers.

I would very much doubt that your bike has been sitting in Berlin for one month just waiting for transport to Belgium. Your dealer is right in suggesting that the date in the computer is wrong. Look at the bright side. Your bike probably has been assembled after February 21st and has the front tube update done directly at the factory.

I totally understand that you are getting to the point where you are considering driving over to Berlin and kick in the door and pick-up the bike yourself. You may see me there as well. I am also almost out of patience. But then again, there is 30 cm of snow in my driveway and the roads are covered with salt, so it may be even worse to have the new baby sitting in the garage when the weather and roads are like this. Or maybe not.

Be brave and strong.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 AM   #7102
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post
I had wondered if this was possible. I had a look at the new GS at the irish bike show and found the sidestand extension was in the way when changing gears:
It is the same on my current beamer and it never bothered me.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #7103
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Don't believe that computer. BMW Motorrad is not using the same software systems for handling dealer and customer orders as they do with their cars. When you order a customized BMW car the dealers will be able to follow every step in the process until it is delivered to them. That is not the case for BMW Motorrad and their motorcycles. The information that is provided by the IT-systems regarding a motorcycle is no way nearly as precise as the info made available for car buyers.

You may feel that the dealer is keeping you in the dark but they don't have access to information and status updates directly from the plan in Berlin. They may however be provided with information about the status on bikes already shipped AND received by the country specific importers.

I would very much doubt that your bike has been sitting in Berlin for one month just waiting for transport to Belgium. Your dealer is right in suggesting that the date in the computer is wrong. Look at the bright side. Your bike probably has been assembled after February 21st and has the front tube update done directly at the factory.

I totally understand that you are getting to the point where you are considering driving over to Berlin and kick in the door and pick-up the bike yourself. You may see me there as well. I am also almost out of patience. But then again, there is 30 cm of snow in my driveway and the roads are covered with salt, so it may be even worse to have the new baby sitting in the garage when the weather and roads are like this. Or maybe not.

Be brave and strong.

My bike was planned on Feb 8th. It might have been produced a week late or so. No grudge to my dealer. They have their hands in their hair as well. I just hope it arrives in their next shipment and the next shipment arrives next week. That way I'll have it for the long eastern weekend. Insurance and registration also needs to be done once I get the papers.

Dealers can see: (as far as I seen on their screen) : produced, in transit (and some more before it is built).

And I can easily drive to berlin overnight.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 AM   #7104
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post

It is not that easy to see in the photo how the little peg on the side stand (used for lowering the side stand) is placed in relation to the foot peg and shifter arm. Photo from above would be great.

However, the foot plate expansion will hopefully not be in the way of your boot, also not when standing on the pegs. I haven't be able to find a photo of the expansion plate but here is a bit of photoshop fiddling where the red marking should illustrate the plate.

Question is now will the lowering peg or the expansion plate be in the way when you have the BMW Motorrad adjustable foot pegs mounted? (or any other lowering foot pegs)

When looking at the Touratech and the Wunderlich expansion plates I think that I will go for the Wunderlich solution as it seams to be less in the way of the riders boots. That pointy Touratech plate seams to get up very close to your boot. I may be wrong.

Wunderlich

Touratech

Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #7105
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Wow, never bothered with such details.

It HAS happened to me to touch the side-stand or center-stand assembly, but nothing dangerous and ALL times because I didn't have my foot where it should be.

You guys do realize that the bike is not custom made for EVERYBODY individually and some change in habbits is necessary with a new model. Yes some things can bother SOME people too much and thank God, GS is one of the most active third-party modified models.

Now some 3rd party will provide with wiring to change turn signals back to old-BMW way...

(irrelevant as it might be, I can't help but remember the stupid iPhone "finger" ad...)
Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #7106
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 237
Test rode a LC GS and that kickstand extension is a pain. My boot kept hitting it when sliding the front of my boot under the shifter. Gear indicator should be a digital speedo. The digital number is gigantic and a digital speedo would have been much better in its place. Centerstand end is in the way when you are on the balls of your feet on foot pegs. I think the multistrada has a similar problem. Other then that the bike is nice and it is noticeably quicker. Cruise is very nice. Engine temp fluctuates 11-12 degrees while riding and actually get's annoying if you keep it on that mode. Air flow is much better then previous models. Alternator is in the gearbox/transmission so repair is complicated and expensive. Pistons cannot be oversized if there is a defect you need a new complete housing. Nice bike but unfortunately even more expensive to fix then the previous ones.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #7107
shay
reading is hard

Oddometer: 250
Quote:

It HAS happened to me to touch the side-stand or center-stand assembly, but nothing dangerous and ALL times because I didn't have my foot where it should be.

You guys do realize that the bike is not custom made for EVERYBODY individually and some change in habbits is necessary with a new model. Yes some things can bother SOME people too much and thank God, GS is one of the most active third-party modified models.

Now some 3rd party will provide with wiring to change turn signals back to old-BMW way...

(irrelevant as it might be, I can't help but remember the stupid iPhone "finger" ad...)
what concerns me, and I will find out when I have a test ride; is it possible for the sidestandk killswitch to be activated if you accidentally push the extension down when changing gear?

Every bike has it's idiosyncrasies and you do get used to them, but it's a legitimate Q I think?

shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #7108
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post

Looking at the photo, it appears the shift lever is poorly fitted/aligned. If it was rotated up, so the rubber was inline with the footpeg, the problem would likely dissappear.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL

Andylaser screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 04:41 AM
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #7109
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
Looking at the photo, it appears the shift lever is poorly fitted/aligned. If it was rotated up, so the rubber was inline with the footpeg, the problem would likely dissappear.
Good call. Indeed they bolted it low (it can be fixed easily and is usually a matter of rider preference).
Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #7110
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Well I just don't want to spend a lot of money on laser cut junk and hang it on my bike just to realize that fit and function is shit. I will rather go with your solution and use a rock to support the side stand than get in a situation where I accidentally touch the side stand expansion plate and find myself half way over the windscreen because the kill switch was activated while I am stand up on the pegs concentrated and trying to avoid killing myself riding off a narrow and bumpy mountain track

Ain't going to order any side stand expansion plate until I get my bike. It is not that important.

Edit: Added a few photos

Seen from the rear

From above

MaxReving screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 04:58 AM