Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
No, real bourbon is in the hot tub!
SPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #62
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 479
Yo Spo, your writing is hella good. Don't care how long it takes, would like to follow this one to the end. Regarding alcohol, I always thought who you're with and where you are trumps what's in the glass.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #63
DeepSea
electronically challenged

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPO View Post

I ordered 3 Reuben's, and a bottle of Breckenridge's finest bourbon. We fucking deserved it.
Bourbon in the hot tub, Ruebens in our bellies. Goodnight.
Yes well deserved to put it lightly.
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #64
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Another great ride, nicely written.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #65
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's an interesting thing to wake up in the morning not knowing that the day you're about to begin will be one of the best you've ever experienced. Today was that day.
After an amazing night of sleep (hot tub+bourbon+Reuben's for dinner= ~50 lunesta pills), we packed up and hit the road. It was a toasty 35*F that morning. The cold and the altitude didn't help La Suerte wake from her frozen slumber.
We motored north through town, away from the madness that was the Tour d'Colorado. At a fuel stop, we struck up a conversation with some folks at the pump and it turned out that one of the guys grew up with a guy I worked with in Oakland for years. Small world. It's so strange to run into people that you know in the middle of nowhere.

I was happy to be here, just FYI.

I had to stop and take some pics as I'm both a Jew-

AND a fan of root beer floats-

We quickly found the trail, and so began the smiles. Miles and miles of sweeping vistas, fast dirt roads, and shit eating grins (I've always thought that was a weird expression, but I continue to use it..I have yet to eat poop and smile, just for the record). This was the Colorado that I pictured.

(Name that sports team jersey and impress me with your esoteric knowledge of random shite)
Gorgeous grassy valleys with streams meandering here and there, surrounded by snow capped peaks. Valleys that went on for as far as the eye could see.

Weird optical illusion hillsides where it was difficult to tell if the mountainside was straight up and down, or towering over the top of you..

Cattle just doing what cattle are supposed to be doing, grazing on high mountain grass and flowers, living the good life.
Lunch stop in some small 'burg. Great Mexican food, good time for a fuel stop (not for Ron of course, he's still got 6,427 gallons left)
Billy Idol rockin' in the headphones (notice the scowl, classic Billy)

"cause it's a...nice day for a...coloradoooOOOoo!!"

The riding was spectacular, with speeds approaching 70mph on some dirt sections. Earthen roller coaster ride, I tell ya.

That might not seem fast to all of you, but on an old airhead with suspension that isn't really dialed in-it's scary fast.
We entered some areas of double track with aspens everywhere. Stunning. Rivers everywhere with fly fishermen in their waders, in various stages of "meditation".
Exiting the backcountry we found ourselves on a county road, and passed dozens of ranches that had amazing front entrances. Giant logs arranged to form a gate/doorway, with laser cut brass elk and deer 40' off the ground. Each ranch seemed to get more ostentatious than the last. We rode through some seriously expensive and gorgeous ranch properties.
I'm sure the neighbors were pissed at the state of this dump..

YAK!

This day truly made me feel that I was far from home, out on the trail, having an adventure. Fun.

We eventually made our way to Steamboat Springs, CO.

We promptly pulled in here;

How could we pass this up? Look at that SIGN man! I'm a sucker for old neon.

We headed out for dinner at the local BBQ joint and ate a bunch, drank a bunch, and then proceeded to sleep a bunch. I was stoked because these dudes I'm traveling with would have ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to wake up before 7am as we had planned a maintenance day in Steamboat. Brunch, beers, and oil changes!

SPO screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 08:44 AM
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #66
DonM
Do-dah Do-dah

Oddometer: 219
"and shit eating grins (I've always thought that was a weird expression, but I continue to use it..I have yet to eat poop and smile, just for the record). "

I read the S.E.G. As the grin you wear when you are conveying that thought to some one else!

Lovin' this report, btw!
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #67
R.P.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thumb Great Report!

The CDR is on my bucket list of rides. I'm really enjoying your report and love your writing style. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
R.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #68
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
More! Bring it!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #69
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Of course, I woke up at 6:15am to the sound of Ron and Steve snoring. Assholes.

After a leisurely morning lounging in bed and reading, we made our way to the lobby to get some coffee and breakfast. Had a nice conversation with a couple from Rochester NY, my original hometown. You meet the nicest folks at hotels with cool neon signs...

Ron made a shopping list and headed to the local Napa auto store. I needed oil, Ron needed oil and tranny fluid, Steve needed to get the barrel lock for his rotopax unstuck. So, whilst Ron was fetching our fluids (that didn't sound good, did it?) Steve and I started tinkering with our bikes.
I needed to change my clutch cable (which I had brought with me) so I got to work. Fun to work on the bike again, but with no pressure, not trailside, and not feeling like I was holding anyone up. Rabbit Ears and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...
Ron returned, and the monster garage session began.

I changed my oil and filter, swapped the clutch cable (wow, that's what a clutch lever is supposed to feel like!) and gave La Suerte a thorough 'who's yer father' tightening every nut and bolt I could reach.
Ron changed oil, filter, and tranny fluid. He bled his rear brake as he felt that it wasn't functioning well for the last few days. (FYI-that was a rain puddle in front of our bikes, not an oil slick)
While we were wrenching, a small crowd of ladies appeared on the balcony above us.

They quickly became known as the peanut gallery, and we were conversational cannon fodder.

Bubbles+babes=bables

Nice group of ladies on a road trip, just having a good time. Again, cool neon sign=nice folks.

We had lunch on some roof top "Mexican" food joint (I live in California, spoiled doesn't describe us when it comes to Mexican food...we have it all here). Fun people watching. We went for a little walk, then attempted a nap. I'm not a very good napper, and I just read a bit. Steve went out and found the only locksmith in town who would answer his phone on a Saturday. Guy was at home, told steve to come on out and he'd take a look. Steve returned a hour later with a drilled out barrel lock and a smile on his face.
It's the simple things in life.
We headed to a brew pub (another one of our goals was to drink beer from wherever we found ourselves.) Steamboat beer didn't disappoint. Great food and even better beer. C'mon, what else is there? (Don't answer that)

SPO screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 09:07 PM
Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #70
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 349
You need to ride a lot more, dood.

You write good. Keep it up and ride more so yoyu can write more!

Subscribed, and thanks for bringing us along.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #71
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back on the road, back on the bike. My journey only started 8 days prior, and it feels like a lifetime ago. I've seen fire, and I've seen rain....
Today we would waive goodbye to beautiful Colorado and enter the strange world of Wyoming. We hit the highway out of Steamboat and head north. Soon, the dirt begins, and the landscape really begins to change. We come around a corner, in the middle of a particularly tidy, almost manicured valley to find this-

Uhhh-that doesn't look like any "ranch" I've seen so far. Ended up chatting with a fly fishing guide on staff, and he gave us the skinny. Super wealthy folks come to Three Forks Ranch year round to have a "bespoke" outdoor experience. Hunting, fishing, skiing, horseback-you name it (and pay $$$$$ for it) and they'll do it. The guide we chatted with told us that the ranch is actually on the border of Wyoming and Colorado. This works out quite well for the owners as the taxes in Wyoming are nearly nonexistent. The rich get richer...

I've never been to Wyoming before, and was amazed at the feeling of desolation that quickly settled in. Wide open skies and rolling prairies...easy to imagine a wagon train rolling by...

We end up on a highway and find some interesting terrain..

Stopped at the Battle Mountain lookout and chatted with some dudes on KLRs loaded for bear that had trucked their bikes out from Tennessee or something? Crazy. Met a guy on some ludicrous 1200 ninja that was....umm interesting. It looked like a Brookstone delivery truck collided with a Mountain Dew truck and puked everywhere. Bright green, lowered, loaded with multiple neon accent lights, and overflowing with radar jamming gizmos. The dude was a road warrior though, gotta give him that-he was out on a little jaunt, and had gone about 700 miles so far THAT DAY.
Back on the road, we found the famous "Aspen Alley"...pretty impressive.

I guess that there is a pretty small window during the summer months for road construction. It seemed that we found every road project in the central United States. Fire roads, county roads, highways, interstates-I've never seen so many graders, excavators, and paving rigs..pretty impressive. We finally exited the construction zone and found ourselves in Rawlins, WY.

And who knew? Decent Thai food in Rawlins, WY! Of everything I thought I'd eat and drink on this trip, killer green mango salad and Thai iced tea wasn't on the list...

We stopped along the roadside at some defunct gas station/post-apocalyptic zombie movie set and snapped a few pics..

At some point, we decided to stop in a scenic turnout and take a group shot. While discussing where we were gonna set up the camera to take a timed picture (there were no cars around for miles), we turned to see a Sheriff pulling over 3 SUVs full of frat boys. We hadn't seen a car around for miles, and now there were 25 people in our l'il turnout in the middle of nowhere.
Turns out the long arm of the law also composes a pretty nice shot...

Back on the highway, we stopped for the one and only flat of the trip..

Obligatory poser shot

The bustling metropolis of Lander,WY..."where rails end, and trails begin".

Site of the first paid rodeo in the US, Lander would prove to be one of our most memorable places to ever lay our road weary, alcohol altered smiling heads...

SPO screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 03:36 PM
Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #72
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,114
Great report

Very entertaining, SPO.

I did the CDR last summer. It's a great ride. I don't blame you for writing an abbreviated version of the whole trip, but what you have included has me smiling just like I was there again.

Thanks.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #73
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Great ride, enjoying every minute of it! Keep it comin!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #74
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I apologize for not updating this thread! You guys have been great. I'll be able to finish spinning this yarn next month as my schedule frees waaaaay up.
Keep the rubber side down...
Old 08-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #75
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Glad to hear your going to finish this! The CDR is one I'd really like to do. And I'd like to do it on a big bike.
Thx!
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote