Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #16
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 725
The trick is to become distracted while falling and miss the Earth. Then you just fly away.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by judobiker View Post
I competed in Judo for 20 years and taught/coached it for 10. There's a lot to be said for knowing how to land. The rollout probably a lot more useful than just a break fall. I've had several over the handlebars type crashes in the past year while racing harescrambles and never been injured. I just tucked, rolled and ended up back on my feet. Of course that might just be luck.
I don't think luck has anything to do with it. You are a professional.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,336
<-----------
Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #19
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
You guys over think this shit. Judoguy (I also took judo for quite a while) didn't get hurt because he has great awareness about where he is in relation to the ground and plans accordingly. He also knows where his hands and feet are at all times. Being a true Judoka has a lot going for it. By the way, I'm not at that level and will never be.

But, Sherpa guy, gear up. Although one guy has over 1000 crashes, that is out of the norm. Way out of the norm. I've got close to 40 years in the dirt, and I'm maybe at 10% (just guessing at that number, but its nowhere near 1000) of that number, with just a few real good Biffs . He's doing something wrong, and I say that as a guy who used to think I was bulletproof and indestructible, with very little self preservation instinct. But, again, gear up and practice. There is no reason in the world that you should crash over and over. It will happen a few times, but with practice, you should get past it. Work on your riding skills, control of yourself and the bike.

As for planning for it, don't ride over your head or comfort level , although to improve, you'll have to push your comfort level.

All I can say is don't put your hands out to break your fall, as has been stated. Whether or not to hang onto the bike, well, I'm trying to save it until the handlebars are hitting the ground, very seldom will I jump off and let it go.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
When I taught kids to fall safely (in judo) I always focused on fighting their instinct to stick out an arm to catch themselves. Regardless of the activity, Most wrist, shoulder, and collar bone injuries come from that. I assume the same is true for adults.

I don't compete in martial arts anymore, but I still try to include some rolls and cartwheels in my workouts occasionally. I think this helps maintain dynamic flexibility and body awareness--which hopefully reduces injuries. OP, you may want to try doing some of this. If you don't know how, just find a reasonable person to show you how. Again, tumbling- not just break falls.

On a dirtbike ( which I'm not terribly proficient at) I bought a KDX 200 because its light and indestructible. I'm not scared to wreck it, but don't do it real often.

My Bandit 1200...I didn't want to wreck that at all!
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
The trick is to become distracted while falling and miss the Earth. Then you just fly away.
Most importantly DON'T PANIC
Old 03-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
I suspect martial arts helped me learn to fall. I don't try to break my falls with my legs and arms but take them on my back and ass whenever possible. Which is something I learned way back when I was into that stuff and reinforced by wearing armor these days.

But, to be honest, the fact that I have never been seriously injured or broken anything in a crash also boils down to plain old dumb luck. Because sometimes I get slapped down or rag-dolled so fast that I can't do anything but wonder WTF happened once it is all over.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #23
Racer111v
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
A typical off road fall is over pretty quick. After years of motocross I have learned to crash with a minimum of damage. Mostly it is just going limp and hoping you don't land on something hard or pointy.Crashing is a normal part of getting faster for most of us mortals.
Road racing is a little different. It seems like you crash forever. You have time to raise parts of you body that starts to get hot.The trick is not to roll, or stop suddenly. Oh yah, don't try to stand up when you still doing 30 mph or so. That's when you really hurt your self. Thirty mph fells like your stopped after falling at 100+.
In any case, your bike is no longer you friend. It will try and hurt you anyway it can.

I don't have any advice on crashing on the street. My thought is don't crash on the street.
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #24
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,404
This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_landing_fall

"Dis am a PLF!"... barked by every Airborne D. I. for the past 70+ years...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #25
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I must be doing something way wrong... When I fall, which does happen now and then, I don't usually have time to think it through. I just go splat.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #26
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
I thought I was doing something wrong. I'm 1 1/2 years new to dirt riding but had raced Mt. Bikes in the past. On a Mt. Bike if you simply believe that you'll remain upright there's a good chance you'll remain upright. It's not magic, it's just not giving up (and weighing 6 times what the bike weighs).

My falls are all slow speed and fit 2 patterns:
  1. The bike stops and I walk away as it falls.
  2. The bike capsizes into a snow bank or mud bank while I'm still half astride it or laying on my side not far away.
None of my offs has ever felt even moderately dangerous. Not that I think I'm mortal or immune to gravity or the laws of physics. It simply seems natural that as things unfold there's a falling bike and I don't want to be under it.

I DO want to learn more about ruts and mud this year. I know I can capsize less.

Until this thread I thought that letting it fall was a failure but people seem to say it might be safer than trying to save it. (But like smj I don't really think about it.)

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #27
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
Any fall from which one can get up a walk away was done correctly. Even better if one can use the rest of the body again, soon.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #28
Racer111v
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
You do need to know when to give in. Saving it and riding off the cliff in not really a success.
Every situation is different. I am still amazed at how things slow down (actually your mind going into hyperdrive) when you crash. More often I'm on the ground trying to figure out what just happened.
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,185
Falling - the right way

Someone just posted this picture in another thread:

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #30
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
I wish I could watch myself when I'm falling because I don't know what is going on but I don't get hurt and in 2 seconds I'm up standing. I know I don't reach out, I take the hit on my side and then I assume I roll. I have tried to explain how to not to fall to my wife when we are 2 up but really all I can say is don't try and stop yourself and get clear of the bike if possible.
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote