Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #31
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,982
Did KTM own Husaberg while the 70 degree bikes were developed? Or did they buy Husaberg and then drop the line? What's the story?

I tried to find a used one in my price range, but missed out one a couple because they were a bit too far away. I ended up with a WR450, which I've really enjoyed, but still wish I'd gotten a Berg.

What are they offering now, a blue KTM?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #32
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Did KTM own Husaberg while the 70 degree bikes were developed? Or did they buy Husaberg and then drop the line? What's the story?

I tried to find a used one in my price range, but missed out one a couple because they were a bit too far away. I ended up with a WR450, which I've really enjoyed, but still wish I'd gotten a Berg.

What are they offering now, a blue KTM?
No, that was the Berg engineers ideas. KTM produced the 70 degree motor but dropped it due to manufacturing costs.

The husaberg 501 is a blue KTM that is not factory street legal.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #33
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
No, that was the Berg engineers ideas. KTM produced the 70 degree motor but dropped it due to manufacturing costs. The husaberg 501 is a blue KTM that is not factory street legal.
one way we are lucky in australia... we pay a lot more for our bikes but at least anything the europeans make with a headlight can be registered and road ridden here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
... and again, the world demands the WR450R, but Yamaha cannot hear the cry...
6 speed wide ratio tranny, racks, guards, 4 gallon fuel tank... NFE
wouldn't that be sweet? it is puzzling that yamaha doesnt do this. the DRZ400 is the biggest selling bike down under, i assume it's popular in the state too?

personally i'd like to see suzuki turn the DRZ400 into a 500 and put the RMZ suspension on, then just up the price by $1000 to make it worth their while. that would have to be a big seller!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #34
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by full of days View Post
Can u link to the posts that cover his bike and setup? Entirely too many posts to wade thru.
Here you go: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524638

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #35
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Funny video which gets the Husaberg point across: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...VpoUqrI#t=260s
It certainly piqued my interest in the zombie brand!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #36
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxrneet View Post
Funny video which gets the Husaberg point across: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...VpoUqrI#t=260s
It certainly piqued my interest in the zombie brand!
yeah i don't know what i was thinking when i posted that. must have had a few drinks before i started editing.

i did a sensible video of the flexible FE570 next....

Old 03-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #37
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Part of the issue with manufacturers making your "Dream" bike, is that for everyone that says that "if Yamaha (or whoever) builds this bike, for example, the WR mentioned here with a 6 speed, racks, bags, lights, 21 gallon tank, a big alternator, kangaroo skin seat, etc., etc., and loads of people go, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'd buy that...", well, it comes down to it and they make it, all of the sudden, people start making excuses, "Well, the magazine says the fuel injection is rough at 2200 rpm, the gas tank is too big, the gas tank is too small, it has injection instead of a carb, it has a carb instead of injection, it has fly by wire throttle, it has a throttle cable, the tires aren't aggressive enough, the tires are too aggressive, it doesn't get 60 miles to the gallon like my 250 used to, or my favorite, its the wrong color or I would buy it". All that tells me is that most of the people that "said" they would buy it, were just talking, and had no intention of buying it. So how are they supposed to decide what to make? Focus groups?

For an example of this, watch how many of the people that said they were going to buy the Hyperstrada, when it gets released next month, actually signs the check for one. I bet way less than 10%.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #38
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

i'd half agree with that. i can understand that adventurizing a WR450F would be catering to a niche market that would probably be unprofitable. but things like keeping a five speed box on the WR are just keeping the bike in the dark ages in some respects.

i spent a week trying to toss up between the WR450F and the FE570 (both new but the WR was going to be $2000 cheaper) and it was the gearbox that ultimately made me opt for the berg. and no regrets either....
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #39
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcj7 View Post
That bikes been out for over 10 years now
TE610/630
That falls on deaf ears here
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #40
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I have looked for that perfect bike. Now I have an XR650R and a 990R, which seem to cover things well enough. My question is, how would anyone ever get 250 to 300 pound bike to really feel great on long distances on pavement? Like, when the wind is blowing and you need to make 500 miles that day... In traffic...
Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #41
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I have looked for that perfect bike. Now I have an XR650R and a 990R, which seem to cover things well enough. My question is, how would anyone ever get 250 to 300 pound bike to really feel great on long distances on pavement? Like, when the wind is blowing and you need to make 500 miles that day... In traffic...

I think the answer is "water ballasts". Fill em' up for the slab, and drain for the trails.

There'll be problems with spring rates, but that can easily be overcome with "electro-magnets"!!

Le'me grab enother beer & I'll be happy to solve some more of the World's big problems.....
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #42
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I think the answer is "water ballasts". Fill em' up for the slab, and drain for the trails.

There'll be problems with spring rates, but that can easily be overcome with "electro-magnets"!!

Le'me grab enother beer & I'll be happy to solve some more of the World's big problems.....
Ha, I used to use water ballasts on my wake-boarding boat when I was young and wasted money on stuff like that.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #43
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,343
Water ballast works great on submarines and sail planes...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #44
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Water ballast works great on submarines and sail planes...

NFE
good idea...water ballast makes my sailplane go faster...it should do wonders for my klr.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #45
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
That falls on deaf ears here
Glad I still have excellent hearing