ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which of these inline fours would you get?
Bandit 1200/1250 33 26.83%
FZ1 41 33.33%
Z1000 29 23.58%
919 (Hornet) 20 16.26%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #31
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Think that you would be happy on any of these, pick the one that you likethe look of.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #32
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
depends on the application. for touring and commuting I'd go for a gsx fa in a heartbeat - it is the only option of the four in the states with ABS.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #33
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
I wouldnt buy anything with ABS let alone because of it.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #34
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
I'm a bit biased but you have the wrong suzuki up there. No one ever gives love to the B-King. The King with its 108 ft/lbs is quite easy to drive at the lower the rpms and then scream when it wants.

Out of those choices I would go the FZ1, for the aftermarket alone. But if I wasn't doing touring I would do the FZ1N conversion.
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #35
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,646
The first Z1000s looked pretty cool to me, with the 2 into 4 gold colored pipes. Most used ones you find have had those gorgeous pipes replaced with a cheap cheesy aftermarket 4 into 1 like a 2 bros. I don't like the new ones with the short stubby pipes at all. Not that it matters, I can't handle the riding position on any of them.

I forgot the Bandit had changed, I was thinking about the old air cooled Bandit 1200.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #36
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The first Z1000s looked pretty cool to me, with the 2 into 4 gold colored pipes. Most used ones you find have had those gorgeous pipes replaced with a cheap cheesy aftermarket 4 into 1 like a 2 bros.
Holy crap. We agree on this, big time. I love the as delivered look of the early zeds. Wonderful bikes too.

My rule is: if there's a Honda option, that's the right choice.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #37
loco rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Thanks for the replies and for voting. There doesn't seem to be a clear winner here (as I kind of expected). As several of you have said, can't go wrong with any of these.

I didn't give too many details because I wanted to leave the conversation open... but I basically chose these four because it seems they're more or less within my budget. I'm looking to get a used one. Based on what I see on craigslist, here and other forums, I can do one of these on my budget. I saw an '07 Bandit 1250S on craigslist for $4500, but someone beat me to it - yeah, kicking myself right now . Also, someone suggested a ZRX1200 - great suggestion, and also within budget - thanks!
loco rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #38
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,937
I have a 919 but after hearing some stories from friends I'd take a long hard look at el bandito grande.
Buddy has 150k plus miles on his with no major nothing being done to it.

My 919 has been great. Mine set up with removable hard bags and a little fly screen.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #39
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post
The bandit power curve is much more linear and manageable compared to the FZ1. I found the bandit very easy to ride slow, but the FZ1 was not suited to riding around town under 50mph.
And I have found the opposite Mine just purrs along at city speeds. 3rd-5th gear and it just zips around keeping the RPMs around 5K. Sure, it'll do 90+ MPH at redline in 3rd (or more, I haven't tried), but the torque is fine for around town.

Someone mentioned a B-King, that would be a good choice, if you can find one in your budget.

For reference, I bought my 2002 FZ1 about 2 months ago. It had 16,000 miles on it, and had been taken care of all these years. I paid 2,500. Great deal in my book.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #40
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,039
just to throw a wild card in - you might want to think about a Yamaha FZ6. They have plenty of power, get great gas mileage,and handle like they're on rails. There are plenty of late model low mileage used ones available, and they don't cost an arm and a leg. Cheaper insurance too.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #41
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
And I have found the opposite Mine just purrs along at city speeds. 3rd-5th gear and it just zips around keeping the RPMs around 5K. Sure, it'll do 90+ MPH at redline in 3rd (or more, I haven't tried), but the torque is fine for around town.

Someone mentioned a B-King, that would be a good choice, if you can find one in your budget.

For reference, I bought my 2002 FZ1 about 2 months ago. It had 16,000 miles on it, and had been taken care of all these years. I paid 2,500. Great deal in my book.

I will second what you said about the FZ1 in town. A buddy of mine had a second generation FZ1 and I got to put some miles on it. I thought it was great in town. It kind of had a high performance sports car sound to it. Quite docile, but plenty of sting whenever you wanted it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #42
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I've owned my ZRX 1100 for about 4 years and it does everything well. I commute on it, tour on it, moto-camp, track days, etc etc - it's a great all around bike. There is also an active and good owners association that can help you with just about everything you need to know on them. Great bikes and probably one of the cheapest to purchase out of your list. I've spent some time on the Z1000 and I'd honestly rather have the ZRX, more grunt and more character (although I do like the Z1000 and will admit it has much sharper handling).
Old 03-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #43
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 913
I voted for the FZ1, having owned a '07 before I think it is one of the best do it all kind of bikes. The engine is counterbalanced so it is smooth with very little vibration, the only changes I actually made to mine was I put a Sargent seat on it, the Yamaha touring windscreen and some gel grips. I could ride a 1000 mile day on it with that set up, the riding position worked perfect for me and it was an easy bike to ride.

Plus they are fast, and are easy to extract up to another 15-20 HP should you desire. Having owned an R1 before the FZ1 I wanted similar power with greater comfort and still have respectable handling. It hit all points perfectly for me and I am looking at buying another one with in a month. I also had a Multistrada 1000 and find them similar in riding position and handling but the FZ1 stomped it powerwise.

Plus the longest valve adjustment interval is nice, I never had any problems with mine.
SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #44
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,190
It would be a toss up for me between the FZ1 and the Z1000. Or better yet the new FJR
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #45
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
The Z1000's engine (to me) is far superior to the rest. Certainly the best street bike engine I've ever ridden. I think some of the others you've listed are better looking, but the engine compartment belongs to the Z1k.

Like others have said, ride them all and see what speaks to you. That's always the best answer.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote