ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #46
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
Yup, ~12 psi up front and ~<8 psi rear unless I'm going over 3rd-4th gear. I'd assume RF is talking dual sportin'.
Mostly ledge stuff. Devils Racetrack type riding, the higher pressure is more forgiving when I decide to plow thru some knarly stuff w/o letting off
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #47
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Mostly ledge stuff. Devils Racetrack type riding, the higher pressure is more forgiving when I decide to plow thru some knarly stuff w/o letting off
Have you tried 12psi and HD tubes? As a tech rider I'd bet you'd find you like it.. especially in root+rock areas.

Maybe I'm able to get away with it because I'm a flyweight.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #48
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Have you tried 12psi and HD tubes? As a tech rider I'd bet you'd find you like it.. especially in root+rock areas.

Maybe I'm able to get away with it because I'm a flyweight.
Yeah, I run HD tubes on the DS bike, basic tubes on the st bike. For me it's more about pinch flats than anything else, I hate changing tubes on the trail. I'm used to the riding with 20psi pressure. In my situation, sometimes we get carried away and start hauling ass, I usally manage to come up on something going too fast to lessen the impact. With 20psi I don't worry about it and it's very very rare that I pinch a tube.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #49
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
it's very very rare that I pinch a tube.
yeah.. it's just the pallet nails, broken glass and burnt out SUV parts you gotta watch for around there.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #50
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
yeah.. it's just the pallet nails, broken glass and burnt out SUV parts you gotta watch for around there.
You got that right, never know what you'll come across on the Mesa, I personally haven't found a body but they are there

This is why I run 20PSI, line choice isn't always an option
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #51
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:

Funny thing is that there are literally hundreds of miles of roads out here that are just like that, but aren't known or popular at all.
I'm impressed you do all of the trails you do w/ 20 PSI, I've only pinch-flatted one UHD tube and I was going about 50-55 in a wash and hit a rock with about 3 PSI in a trials rear. I forgot to put air back in after going up the Big Drop on the Enduro Loop. Got a fairly big ding in the rim as well.
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #52
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
Funny thing is that there are literally hundreds of miles of roads out here that are just like that, but aren't known or popular at all.
I'm impressed you do all of the trails you do w/ 20 PSI, I've only pinch-flatted one UHD tube and I was going about 50-55 in a wash and hit a rock with about 3 PSI in a trials rear. I forgot to put air back in after going up the Big Drop on the Enduro Loop. Got a fairly big ding in the rim as well.
That's the other advantage, it's pretty hard to bend up the rims w/ 20 psi. Last time out at the swell, my back tire pressure was low, I knew it but forgot to pump it up before heading off, 5 min down the trail I pinged off a ledge and pinch flatted the rear. I know I could go lower than 20 but then line choice becomes much more important and I cringe every time I ping a ledge

I may try out the tubeless system, I got to use one last time I was out there and the low pressure was nice. To me, the $ is worth not having to fix a flat.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #53
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
You need to come out here and ride some lefthand with us. Got those ledges without all the pretty flat parts in between.

I will concede the rim protection though. My rims could only be called circles in the loosest definition. But I wouldn't trade my gooey 11psi traction to protect 'em.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #54
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
I run around 22 psi with rim locks. Using conventional tubes you can get away with less but you'll be pinging your rims on the rocks and pinch flats are likely if your riding hard. We were there last year with another rider who liked to run 14psi in his tires we had zero pinch flats, he had 2 in 3 days.
RF know what he is talking about...watch the red rock ridges in his Devils Racetract video....I've ridden the area since 1981 and have settled on 17psi w/rim locks for my riding style of riding around the sharp edges...sort of glide over the other causes of pinch flats as my compromise. while BEING FAST, I've ridden with MX guys who have had 3 flats before noon thinking they can just ride into those edges and have just delayed our rides fixing flats, sometimes where we can't make our entire loop and wrecking the day trip...you need to be prepared on the safe SMART/side and enjoy the whole ride

TooFast screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 04:48 PM
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #55
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
RF know what he is talking about...watch the red rock ridges in his Devils Racetract video....I've ridden the area since 1981 and have settled on 17psi w/rim locks for my riding style of riding around the sharp edges...sort of glide over the other causes of pinch flats as my compromise. while BEING FAST, I've ridden with MX guys who have had 3 flats before noon thinking they can just ride into those edges and have just delayed our rides fixing flats, sometimes where we can't make our entire loop and wrecking the day trip...you need to be prepared on the safe SMART/side and enjoy the whole ride
One could potentially posit a theory that different air pressures may be best for different terrain??

Bah.. never. 11psi is best for everything, always, everywhere.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #56
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
You need to come out here and ride some lefthand with us. Got those ledges without all the pretty flat parts in between.

I will concede the rim protection though. My rims could only be called circles in the loosest definition. But I wouldn't trade my gooey 11psi traction to protect 'em.
We got some trails around here like that, I can get away with lower pressure there because the speed isn't up. I find Ut to be a different story, lots more speed. You know we've jinxed ourselves, one of us will be changing a flat out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
RF know what he is talking about...watch the red rock ridges in his Devils Racetract video....I've ridden the area since 1981 and have settled for 17psi for my riding style of riding around the sharp edges...sort of glide over the other causes of pinch flats as my comprise. and BE fast I've ridden with guys who have had 3 flats before noon thinking they can just ride into those edges and have delayed our rides, sometines where we can't make our entire loop and wrecking the day trip...you need to be prepared on the safe side
That's the problem, it really jacks up a ride when you have to stop and fix flats. Everyone is pumped up about the ride, you buddy gets a flat and everyone lays around while he struggles with the tube.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #57
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
one of us will be changing a flat out there
That's why I have minions.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #58
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Hey, is your trip still on? What are your travel dates?

Me and a buddy are contemplating a last minute trip during spring break. Even if I do go, I may not be physically able to ride, but would cat and mouse around the area with him on his drz and me in my 4x4 van.

Probably wilderness camp out of the van, but he could use a riding partner or two.

I've never been there before so I'd be happy just putting around easy terrain in the van.
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote