Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 615
ADVers in Austin

Hey ADV'ers in Austin!

I'm travelling to Austin for a few days of work next week, March 18-21. Will be staying downtown at The Intercontinental. Looking for recommendations on good BBQ places to eat at and would of course be open to chatting bikes/dakar/rally with any local inmates.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,056
http://franklinbarbecue.com/
Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
texmikey
n00b

Oddometer: 1
any place in lockhart tx. well except blacks. lockhart is only 30 miles south of austin and is known as the bbq capital of texas. hard to beat.
texmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Old 03-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Welcome to Austin it's a great city.

Danny's BBQ (now Ed's but the same food) is my favorite in Austin. That includes Franklin, J Mueller, etc. It's at Airport and MLK, hole in the wall outdoor shack. Franklin's is great, but more of our tourist/destination. You've got to get there by 9 to get a plate at noon, and it sells out every day.

The Ginger Man is a great spot for a craft beer downtown, and 6th, 5th, and 4th street West of Congress is the best nearby area for nightlife. The famous section of 6th between Congress and Red River is pretty terrible and called "Dirty 6th" for a reason!

Send me a PM if you're interested in grabbing something to eat or a beer while you're here.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,056
^^^
You gotta remember that status quo in Austin is to try as hard as possible to appear non-status quo. However, there's no advice like local advice... and I haven't been to Franklin's since it was a trailer on the side of the Interstate. However, if the Q is anything like it was back then (gatorgrizz?), then you have to go. I don't give a shit if the Austinites consider it a tourist destination or not. But, as the local mentioned, you should go get in line shortly after you finish breakfast. lol. (there's a reason for that)
Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Salt Lick BBQ south of Austin. Ask directions from any local or if there are any locals in Austin now. Mostly escapees from California..Just keep asking until you hear a Texas drawl... Franklins if you want to wait 2 hours, Salt Lick if you want great Texas BBQ in a cool setting. Ask for the burnt ends.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,732
I work downtown, so you want to ride to lunch I know a couple places

I'm going to check out this Danny's place. I'm not waiting in line for Franklin's either. I have been sorely disappointed in the salt lick last two times i've been there, the ribs were tough as shoe leather.

Sad as it may seem, but I think Rudy's bbq is maybe the best around, great st louis ribs, prime rib, pork loin, and several brisket types (lean\moist) but for some reason only the 183 @ Duval store has those varieties.

Opie's out by spicewood is good, but a 30 mile ride.

The most highly regarded (and expensive) BBQ in town is the County Line Nice ride to the lake location too.

If you want variety, the hula hut has some great stuff, quality seafood on airport blvd is great. Threadgills is on the other side of the river and has good comfort food as well.

Texas chili parlour is walking distance from your hotel. Ok food but great drinks.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
I work downtown, so you want to ride to lunch I know a couple places

I'm going to check out this Danny's place. I'm not waiting in line for Franklin's either. I have been sorely disappointed in the salt lick last two times i've been there, the ribs were tough as shoe leather.

Sad as it may seem, but I think Rudy's bbq is maybe the best around, great st louis ribs, prime rib, pork loin, and several brisket types (lean\moist) but for some reason only the 183 @ Duval store has those varieties.

Opie's out by spicewood is good, but a 30 mile ride.

The most highly regarded (and expensive) BBQ in town is the County Line Nice ride to the lake location too.

If you want variety, the hula hut has some great stuff, quality seafood on airport blvd is great. Threadgills is on the other side of the river and has good comfort food as well.

Texas chili parlour is walking distance from your hotel. Ok food but great drinks.
Franklins has suffered my last 2 trips there...Not bad, just not as good...Salt lick has flat sucked my last 2 trips If you go north for a ride, might I recommend Loco Coyote near Glenrose and some fantastic riding too....bet some of us locals would join ya
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

Hi Y'all! (See what I did there? LOL)

Back from Austin and I gotta say, very good trip. Austin is a pretty cool city. While I ended up having very limited time due to work commitments, I did get out and enjoy some local food and local culture. I'll definitely be coming back!

As far as BBQ goes, we hit IronWorks BBQ on Monday night, Salt Lick on Tuesday night and a full rack of ribs at Bartletts. All had their pluses and minuses but overall, we ate some great food and had a great time!

Sorry I wasn't able to meet up with any ADV'rs. I gotta bring a bike down next time!

Thanks again for all the recommendations and posts!

Brimstone screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 08:41 AM
Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Sounds like you had a great time in Austin. Hard not to. I really like your part of the world. Just so you know, it's Y'all.... One word.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Sounds like you had a great time in Austin. Hard not to. I really like your part of the world. Just so you know, it's Y'all.... One word.
HA! Obviously I need to visit again to get the lingo down! Corrected!