Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #2176
Haven't Ben There
searcher

Oddometer: 20
Hi John, Sultan of South America, I would like to order a t shirt. Thanks again for the ride report it has been great and I am looking forward to the Sultan's further travels. I also agree with all the suggestions on writing a book then you could go into even more detail. I am sure you will do great you have the right attitude, nothing stops you, it just redirects you to another adventure. Continue to enjoy and ride safe.
Haven't Ben There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #2177
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
... I visited the Smoky Mountains a couple years ago for the first time. Wow! There's some great riding around there. I was in my truck doing some remodeling on a vacation home on the Tail of the Dragon outside Robbinsville, North Carolina. But it was adventure in October with the fall foliage. Should be fun in May as well. It is a truly beautiful area of the country. Really friendly people in rural NC as well. ... Saludos, Juan Smoky
Hey John, That's awesome that you came so nearby! That's just a day's ride away from us. I wonder if you were there the same time as we were. Anyone who's been very far realizes the world isn't physically small, but in some other senses it is. Next time you're out this way, please message us. Here we are on October 9th, 2009:

Wouldn't that be something if you were right down the road. We've also been there in April, but it was darn cold waking up with ice on the inside of the tent and frost all around. A morning bonfire never felt so good. And with a late start, getting home after dark it was quite uncomfortable the last hour without heated gear. We won't go that early in the year again!
Bendiciones, George & Rosie
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #2178
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
... I made a reservation on Spirit Airlines for the 13th of next month. ...Saludos, Juan Avion Viajero
Maestro Juan, I can't believe you got a flight for $260 something! Makes me want to re-think how to get to Ecuador next time. Where are you departing from, José María Córdova (MDE)?

I just noticed that you no longer have the johnthomasdowns blogspot link on your signature - is that due to the restrictions you mentioned earlier? I had been under the impression that you had determined that was acceptable practice when you switched from the pay pal link. Perhaps there are other motivations for removing that link.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #2179
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Maestro Juan, I can't believe you got a flight for $260 something! Makes me want to re-think how to get to Ecuador next time. Where are you departing from, José María Córdova (MDE)?

I just noticed that you no longer have the johnthomasdowns blogspot link on your signature - is that due to the restrictions you mentioned earlier? I had been under the impression that you had determined that was acceptable practice when you switched from the pay pal link. Perhaps there are other motivations for removing that link.
My guess would be that his trip is coming to the end and he felt it was not appropriate to accept any more donation? So in the process he felt it is best to remove the link so he doesn't let some donors down. Otherwise this probably would be more appropriate discussed via PM?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #2180
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
My guess would be that his trip is coming to the end and he felt it was not appropriate to accept any more donation? So in the process he felt it is best to remove the link so he doesn't let some donors down. Otherwise this probably would be more appropriate discussed via PM?
Perhaps. But we're conversing with a unique individual who enjoys sharing his thoughts and ideas with the ride report community, and has already presented in-depth discussions on the topic, so I doubt he would prefer discussing via PM. I could be wrong. I'm sure he'll be along to set us straight once he gets a break to catch his breath! Paciencia....
Old 03-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #2181
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Hi bob,

I hope to see you down the road someday. BC is my favorite Province. If I'm ever in the area, I'll be sure to look you up just to say hi.

Saludos,
Juanito
John:

I am taking your advice and riding out of my comfort zone this summer. I should be passing just north of Bassett, NE this July. I am leaving Vancouver around July 10th and heading to the Atlantic Coast. I am using the JDowns© route planning method of either turning left or right as I arrive at a junction

I have only been to Nebraska once many years ago to Omaha. All I remember are fields of corn. Now when I think NE I think Jdowns©, sort of a word association thing.

We'll see if you're home as we get closer . . .

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #2182
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Perhaps. But we're conversing with a unique individual who enjoys sharing his thoughts and ideas with the ride report community, and has already presented in-depth discussions on the topic, so I doubt he would prefer discussing via PM. I could be wrong. I'm sure he'll be along to set us straight once he gets a break to catch his breath! Paciencia....
Yes, that's true and I am pretty sure he will answer your question as I find him to usually respond to almost every comment as a true gentleman do.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #2183
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 781
Hey Jdawg. Now that you're coming back to the states, I'd love to meet up with you some time and hear your stories. I saw you'll be in Oregon this summer, so will I. If you can remember, you should hit me up when you do, or just head down to California. I owe you a beer and pizza for this ride report.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #2184
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:

Hi ONandOFF,

The admins removed the link. I guess people were complaining about the paypal thing and they've had trouble in the past. It's no big deal. I can abide by the rules around here. I can imagine it's a thankless job trying to keep things running smoothly on ADVrider. I appreciate being able to share stories from the road and will continue to do so.

I have read the ride report rules now and will try to come up with other ideas that are okay. I'll report back anything I find out. I still think crowd sourced funding of riders is a great idea. Support the folks that are sending back pictures and stories. Nothing wrong with that. I'll just have to find other ways, that's all.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #2185
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Hey Jdawg. Now that you're coming back to the states, I'd love to meet up with you some time and hear your stories. I saw you'll be in Oregon this summer, so will I. If you can remember, you should hit me up when you do, or just head down to California. I owe you a beer and pizza for this ride report.
Hi Clem Kevin,

I'm not a beer man but am always up for pizza. I should be in Oregon the first part of July for a month or so. Hope to see you around if you're in the area.

Saludos,
Jperro
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #2186
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Hi Clem Kevin,

I'm not a beer man but am always up for pizza. I should be in Oregon the first part of July for a month or so. Hope to see you around if you're in the area.

Saludos,
Jperro
I'm not a beer man either. I forgot. Root Beer then. Even if I'm not at the time, if you're in Bend I'm sure my brother would hang out with ya
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #2187
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
John:

I am taking your advice and riding out of my comfort zone this summer. I should be passing just north of Bassett, NE this July. I am leaving Vancouver around July 10th and heading to the Atlantic Coast. I am using the JDowns© route planning method of either turning left or right as I arrive at a junction

I have only been to Nebraska once many years ago to Omaha. All I remember are fields of corn. Now when I think NE I think Jdowns©, sort of a word association thing.

We'll see if you're home as we get closer . . .

bob
Hi bob,

I'll probably be gone in July. You can camp in my back yard though. Should be a fun trip. I will warn you, it's mighty hot that time of year in the northern plains.

Have fun!
Juan Viajero
Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #2188
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

That's cool, John. I admire your character of tenacity and honesty. I'm looking forward to the details of your departure and bike stashing. May your final three weeks in the area continue to be rife with blessings.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #2189
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Hi bob,

I'll probably be gone in July. You can camp in my back yard though. Should be a fun trip. I will warn you, it's mighty hot that time of year in the northern plains.

Have fun!
Juan Viajero
John:

I knew you were going to Oregon, just didn't know your timing. Perhaps I could detour down there on my way back to BC in early/mid August. Lots of time to figure it out. See you on the road then . . .

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #2190
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Hi Clem Kevin,

Saludos,
Jperro
Sorry if I missed this ... ?John, are you riding around the USA? Buying another bike? ... or ? If you need help finding a bike let me know. I'm in the SF Bay Area. Lots of good deals come and go here.

You've expressed great thoughts and inspiration for us all ... and ALL have responded with great ideas on travel, life.

I broke away from the Rat Race in my early 20's after dropping out of UCLA Film School. Just wasn't for me ... at that time. Hit the road, mostly off the bike, but sometimes ON the bike. I did pretty much what John is doing now. Work in USA, save money, go travel.

Started a businesses, volunteered along my 16 country, 7 year run. (1973 to 1979) 2 of those years were spent in the Antarctic. I did a few back a forths, but spent most of those 7 years in Latin America or Antarctica.

Traveling, I grew bored hanging out at the usual Gringo-tenango party's along the Gringo Trial, so did a few different things to keep up interest.
In Guatemala, (lived for about 2 years) I sponsored businesses and provided seed money to indigenous kids selling Soda and candy on the street. Also imported tons of arteseneo goods. You have to start somewhere! It worked!

My landlord was a Senator. The Senator was one of only two indigenous people in the Guatemalan Congresso ... in a country that is 85% Indigenous! He was killed during the 80's by para military death squads under Pres. Rios Mont.

In El Salvador I volunteered teaching English. Local teacher had terrible English pronunciation ... so worked mostly on that. I saw the coming US sponsored war ... but could not say a word. Sure enough, their dirty war started and thousands were murdered ... all with US sponsorship.

Skipping ahead years, made contacts in Argentina, snagged a job at USARP working in Antarctica. That job led to 3 more back and forth trips to S. America and earning some serious money. (for me) 19 months in Antarctic.

Keeping busy and having work really helps make travel more rewarding. Riding a bike all day, everyday ... and doing nothing but taking pics ... believe it or not, gets boring.

John has illustrated "The Way" perfectly ... using his many skills to help out and earn a few bucks along the way. Balancing his time between work and bumming around ... and in doing so, so artfully, has become the very best ambassador in the world for our country. In the case of the USA, ... we really need help in that regard.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote