Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #481
ottawawill
OttawaWill

Oddometer: 6
Saudades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Thanks for the invite but I will have to pass on this one. Just sold our house yesterday and will need to be here to sign papers etc. Due to the holidays we will be here, in Jaragua, for another 2-3 months. Looking at renting a house in Itapema for about 6 months and then go to Rio for a month or so to see my wifes family before going back to the states. I will miss living here but the cost of living (with all my toys) is just too much.
Mike,
I appreciated all your input in this thread. It seems as though you found some new friends in Rodrigo and Raf. Rodrigo took some great pics and it seemed as though you all had a great time in Foz.
How are things Stateside? Missing Brazil much? What brought you to Brazil in the first place?
Will
ottawawill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #482
ottawawill
OttawaWill

Well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linhares View Post
I think it's time to start a thread about my beautiful country, Brazil.

The idea is to create a place for:
  • Brazilian ADV riders check-in
  • Travelers tell us that they are here
  • Future visitors ask questions
So, lets go!
Linhares,
Well done starting this thread. I find ADVrider.com a great website but one thing that I miss when I compare to other forums I've visited in the past is a designated menu/group for different locations. It would be nice to have a designated section similar to the Riding,Bikes,gear etc specifically for regions. Within the different regions have different options like:
ADVrider > Regions > SouthAmerica > Brazil > States > {Ride Reports, Events, Flea Market & etc}... Hopefully you get the idea but none the less thank you for starting this Brazil Thread. Two things I love motorcycles and Brazil.
If you up tp is next time I'm in Brasilia I'll take you out for a Pizza Dom Bosco and a Antartica Original !
Will
Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #483
ottawawill
OttawaWill

rodrigo1985

You seem like a great comrade and If i ever succeed in being in Brazil with access to a Bike Ill do my best to track you down and well go for a ride and a beer !
Ate logo,
Will
Old 03-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #484
Linhares OP
OSM addicted

Oddometer: 242
Will,

take easy on the throttle and enjoy this video:

Abraços,
Linhares
Linhares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #485
ottawawill
OttawaWill

D'oh

Re Video:
This video contains content from WMG, SME, UMG, Beggars, EMI and Believe, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #486
BrzGSAdv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Ideas for an August trip?

Inmates... Planning some vacaciones here!

I am based in Sao Paulo and finnaly got a hold of some time out for a 7-10 days trip and the idea is to put some SERIOUS miles on the clock of my GS...

Ideas of what to do (consider I am solo, however more than happy to get company!) most welcome!

Where to head and what objective? South to Chui? West to Bonito? Little north to explore Minas? Where can I find the best sights and twisties? Some off road would be nice too (but pls keep it light I am not that used to leave the tarmac!)...

Best,
GSAdventurer
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
BrzGSAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #487
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawawill View Post
Mike,
I appreciated all your input in this thread. It seems as though you found some new friends in Rodrigo and Raf. Rodrigo took some great pics and it seemed as though you all had a great time in Foz.
How are things Stateside? Missing Brazil much? What brought you to Brazil in the first place?
Will
Hi Will. My wife is a Carioca and when the economy crashed in 2007 it took my business with it so we decided to move to Brazil and live cheaply. I soon found out that to maintain the "gringo" lifestyle I wanted is really expensive in Brazil. When it cost me about $600 USD for tires for my $17,000+ USD DL650 I knew it was time to go back to the states. I miss Brazil a lot and think of the rides I had there. One of the best was with Evandro (Fox) http://www.pisteiros.com.br/profiles...il-sul-offroad. Beautiful scenery, good and bad weather, great hotel, drinking beer in the sauna after riding the last hour in cold heavy rain. Just a great trip.

A couple of my favorites:

There are so many more.........I need to go back and ride more.
Life is good in the states (with 3 bikes ) but just not the same.

SCExpat screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 07:27 AM Reason: Specify US Dollars in prices.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #488
Linhares OP
OSM addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzGSAdv View Post
IIdeas of what to do (consider I am solo, however more than happy to get company!) most welcome!

Where to head and what objective? South to Chui? West to Bonito? Little north to explore Minas? Where can I find the best sights and twisties? Some off road would be nice too (but pls keep it light I am not that used to leave the tarmac!)...
GSAdventurer,

have you been to Serra do Rio do Rastro in Santa Catarina state? It is the best ride I've had!
When exactly you are planning to leave?

Abraços,
Linhares
PS: Anybody else had problem watching the video from my last post?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:52 AM   #489
BrzGSAdv
Adventurer

Quote:
GSAdventurer,

have you been to Serra do Rio do Rastro in Santa Catarina state? It is the best ride I've had!

Abraços,
Linhares
PS: Anybody else had problem watching the video from my last post?
No...I know it is awesome and sure will include in my route if I decide to go South on the trip. Thanks for the tip!
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #490
Dean74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
travelling west from manaus into columbia?

hello all,
great thread, i'm in Brasil at the moment, headed northward from Curitiba eventually to Manaus. Has anyone here taken a boat from Manaus to the west, and entered Columbia (or Ecuador)? (not into Peru!)
If so i'd love to hear from you, i'm hoping to try this in a month or so.
cheers,
Dean.
www.motodino.net
www.donkeyandthemule.com.au
Dean74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #491
Linhares OP
OSM addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean74 View Post
Has anyone here taken a boat from Manaus to the west, and entered Columbia (or Ecuador)? (not into Peru!)
Dean,

I've never heard of anyone crossing from Brazil to Columbia. There is a town in Amazonas named Tabatinga that borders Letícia city in Colômbia. You can get to Tabatinga by boat. I have no idea how to leave Leticia, however.

Have you thought about crossing to Guyana? Crashmaster did it back in 2011. Check this post.

Just my two cents.

Abraços,
Linhares
Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #492
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
GSAdventurer,

My wife and I are leaving Foz do Iguacu today, headed to Serra Rio do Rastro. With a recommendation like that, we can't miss it! Will try to share a picture soon...

Quote:
Dean,

I've never heard of anyone crossing from Brazil to Columbia. There is a town in Amazonas named Tabatinga that borders Letícia city in Colômbia. You can get to Tabatinga by boat. I have no idea how to leave Leticia, however.

Have you thought about crossing to Guyana? Crashmaster did it back in 2011. Check this post.

Just my two cents.

Abraços,
Linhares
We also went from Manaus (okay, well, Boa Vista...to be connected fully in mid-2012...) to Guyana in late 2011, and the road from Lethem to Georgetown was a definite highlight (LINK HERE), right up there with the Transamazonica and BR-319 (LINK HERE). The first post of our Ride Report (see signature) has an index with links to by country.

I agree with your thoughts - other than a boat (or plane) I don't know of a way out of Leticia. If someone finds it, post up!

csustewy screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 02:37 PM Reason: added links
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #493
BrzGSAdv
Adventurer

Planning to go on the Estrada Real

I decided to take the whole Estrada Real (Royal Road) using the original tracks (amazingly downloadable from the web!)... Paraty - Ouro Preto and then Diamantina.

Few questions:

1-Is it doable alone? Anyone around here did it?

2-Do I need to change from GS's standard road tires into off-roads? I guess there is off-road involved but nothing hardcore, just hard dust, right?

3-How much time (how long of a vacation) would you take to do it properly? I am not into much sightseeing other than nice views and some pictures, so I will skip most of the historical churches, etc... and I like to ride 5-7 hours a day...

BTW plan is to go alone on lack of company for the challenge... should anyone want in, do let me know. Plan is to do it 2nd half of August.

Ride on!
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #494
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzGSAdv View Post
I decided to take the whole Estrada Real (Royal Road) using the original tracks (amazingly downloadable from the web!)... Paraty - Ouro Preto and then Diamantina.

Few questions:

1-Is it doable alone? Anyone around here did it?

2-Do I need to change from GS's standard road tires into off-roads? I guess there is off-road involved but nothing hardcore, just hard dust, right?

3-How much time (how long of a vacation) would you take to do it properly? I am not into much sightseeing other than nice views and some pictures, so I will skip most of the historical churches, etc... and I like to ride 5-7 hours a day...

BTW plan is to go alone on lack of company for the challenge... should anyone want in, do let me know. Plan is to do it 2nd half of August.

Ride on!
Hi,

Check out out my ride report on one of my estrada real trips. (Part 1 and part 2). we did it in 9 days,

The Estrada Real is a great trip to do... The whole thing (Paraty - Diamantina and back south to Rio de Janeiro) would be around 2000 km and is doable alone. August is a perfect time in terms of weather. It should be dry most of the time.
The original roads are mostly hard dirt indeed (few soft patches here and there so stay alert.
Unfortunately, they are putting asphalt on many of the dirt roads, and I think that in couple of years from now there might be few dirt roads left...

Here's another trip I did in the south (10 days, including the serra do rio do rastro, morretes, Floripa and more)

Let me know if you have questions.

When you get to Rio de Janeiro, give me a shout.

Cheers

mirantesMT screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 12:50 AM Reason: add extra info...
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #495
BrzGSAdv
Adventurer

Thanks!

Thanks a LOT... read part I and will finish part II before sharing my ideas / doubts!! But overall this is a GREAT ride report!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirantesMT View Post
Hi,

Check out out my ride report on one of my estrada real trips. (Part 1 and part 2). we did it in 9 days,

The Estrada Real is a great trip to do... The whole thing (Paraty - Diamantina and back south to Rio de Janeiro) would be around 2000 km and is doable alone. August is a perfect time in terms of weather. It should be dry most of the time.
The original roads are mostly hard dirt indeed (few soft patches here and there so stay alert.
Unfortunately, they are putting asphalt on many of the dirt roads, and I think that in couple of years from now there might be few dirt roads left...

Here's another trip I did in the south (10 days, including the serra do rio do rastro, morretes, Floripa and more)

Let me know if you have questions.

When you get to Rio de Janeiro, give me a shout.

Cheers
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!