User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Promach 1 OP
Promach 1

Oddometer: 207
A fine place to stay in Alaska

If you've ridden a long way, which most of us from the lower 48, have done, I have a recommendation for really nice accommodations.
It's called the Red Eagle Lodge.
My brother in law and I stayed there in 2011 and it was one of the nicest days of our trip. We rode from Homer to Whittier, took the ferry over to Valdez, then up the Richardson and on in to Red Eagle which is on the Tok Cutoff at Chistochina.
The cabins are rustic which is great as far as I'm concerned. The beds are the best that I've slept on, even in high end hotels. Hot showers and great breakfast in the morning.
Richard a Judy Dennis, the owners, are some of the nicest people that I've met in my travels.
We could have stayed there for days.
We have booked our stay for August of this year already.
Check out thier web site: http://www.redeaglelodge.net/
Promach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,713
I'm sure Red Eagle is a fine establishment, but you are not asserting their accommodations can compare with the dorms at UAF, are you? Surely not.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Promach 1 OP
Promach 1

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
I'm sure Red Eagle is a fine establishment, but you are not asserting their accommodations can compare with the dorms at UAF, are you? Surely not.
Never been there, so I can't do a comparison. But I'd rather stay away from the city life any time possible.
Promach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post

AAAHHHHH, that is the Kevin we know and love. Welcome back.

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 685
Chistochina

The web site states, "Located on the original site of the historic Chistochina Roadhouse." I worked at Chistochina roadhouse in my teens in the 60's for two summers. I knew the original lodge burned down many years ago, sounds like Red Eagle is on the same site. I see planes in the ad and Chistochina had an airstrip that many guides for the Wrangles staged out of. Must be the same location. There were several buildings back then, the lodge up front with restaurant, groceries, furs, and gas pumps, a multi-room two level "hotel" type building in the back, half-a-dozen cabins, large shop, gen-shack with the old put-put Witte generator, and several sheds. I pumped gas for cars and planes, washed dishes, stocked shelves, fixed tires, filled propane bottles and whatever else needed doing. Lots of good memories and stories.
Thanks for the rec Promach I, I'll have to stop in next time we're on the Tok cutoff. (And Kevin, really nothing compares to the dorms... glad your wit is back here, sorely missed.)
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarmoose View Post
The web site states, "Located on the original site of the historic Chistochina Roadhouse." I worked at Chistochina roadhouse in my teens in the 60's for two summers.
Did Red James own it then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarmoose View Post
I knew the original lodge burned down many years ago, sounds like Red Eagle is on the same site.
The present place is just a little farther back from the highway than the old lodge. Part of it was built before the old lodge burned down.

After Terry (Promach I) told me about how pleased he was with his stay there I stopped in one evening and had a pleasant chat with the owners. Once the snow has melted off and grass is showing again I'll stop in again and take a number of photos to post, showing the rooms, the exterior, etc.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Did Red James own it then?
No, I believe Bob and Jo Sedlock (who I worked for) had bought it from Red. They ran it for several years before giving it up/back. I think I was there in the summers of 67 and 68 (or 66 & 67).
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote