Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #271
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,475
That is so cool that you got that gig. The Tech Shop in San Francisco has a bike night every Thursday. I have an obligation that night every week, so I've never been, but think I'd enjoy it. I did a waterjet class there - what a bitchin machine! Too bad it's so expensive to run, but is sure will do stuff that other technologies won't do.

In other news... I finally got the power in my house upgraded to a 240v/200a service -- we had been running on just 110v/45a. Limited me to MIG welding. I ran a few TIG beads the other day, and wow, I had *really* missed that! Its' been a little over 4 years!

I took delivery of a rotary phase converter on Monday, and finally found the time to wire up my new-to-me Victor 16x40 lathe! Whooo M-Fin' Whooo! I scored some cut-offs from my local scrap yard to make riser feet for the Victor so I don't have to stoop when I operate it. Turns out they are stainless?! The Big Vic just peels 3/8" wide ribbons off. It's crazy... I made a pile of swarf in 10 minutes what would have taken me all day on my crappy little 7x12 Harbor Freight lathe. I'm in love.

Now I just need to get my mill repaired & reassembled, and I'll be in hog heaven.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #272
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,411
Thats awesome al congrats on the power upgrade. So nice to use real tools. I'm dying for a mill just no space. I need to move before that will happen.

I'm excited about tech shop, pretty cool vibe about what they are doing. I can't wait to get my hands on that water jet

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #273
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Al I think the motors tend to be really reliable and they aren't your typical rice burner buyin so if people wreck they buy new

Anyways I think it would be a sweet candidate
How does that rotax compare to the lc8? I've seen exactly one salvage grade 950 adv bike.
dentvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #274
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,475
We basically bought our house because it had a full-footprint unfinished ground floor! I didn't think such a thing existed in CA unless you live in the boonies.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #275
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
How does that rotax compare to the lc8? I've seen exactly one salvage grade 950 adv bike.

I've never ridden one but I think that Rotax motor is pretty high spec. Lots more HP than a LC8, more torque too.

There's a 950 on Copart right now in CA I think.

I just like weird and not many of those Aprilias around. They seem to go for cheap money too, at least based on what the engines are selling for. I think I would try and find a wrecked one vs buying piecemeal, that always ends up costing a fortune. Not too many around here though and especially when I don't want to screw around with a dealer license to bid dealio.

Really only one way to find out...

Nessmuk
Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #276
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Been awhile but I got some solid time in at Tech Shop on the bike. Makes a huge difference when you have plenty of space and some really nice tools to use. Got to use the plasma cutter and mig as well as a shrinker and bead roller.

I cut the tank on the band saw then sanded it on the big disc sander.

I also beat out the huge dent on the left side once I had opened it up. Will def need some bodywork

Tacked the new panel in place. I'm glad I extended the seatpan forward even if just a little. Makes the sitting position very comfortable, and you can stand easily with arms extended to the bars.

I need to also bend and weld in a piece for the bottom, then weld in my fitting bung

If I keep getting in productive days like this the bike should be done in fairly short order. Lots of little finishing projects that can take up an enormous amount of time.

Nessmuk
Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #277
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Been awhile but I got some solid time in at Tech Shop on the bike.

From this angle it looks great
jar944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #278
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,366
I have rear suspension envy
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #279
LJC
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Sub frame

You ever look at using a 690 tank, sub-frame? Seems like a natural on these builds.... spend y though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=140937934034

The bike looks awesome
LJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #280
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC View Post
You ever look at using a 690 tank, sub-frame? Seems like a natural on these builds.... spend y though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=140937934034

The bike looks awesome
I considered it but there are too many potential run ins with fitment around the rear shock. Especially for that money. Plus I like that I can run the original bodywork. Trying very hard to not make this bike look like a rat and using factory parts is key as I am terrible at sheetmetal and fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
I have rear suspension envy
Yeah well maybe if I told you how much I spent and how many hours I have worked on it maybe it would lose some luster I can honestly say it was probably not worth all this extra time. I should have explored using a link type rear end, I suspect that would have fit MUCH better and could have possibly eliminated the entire seatpan and tank mods which have been stunting progress here for months it seems. But I'm committed now so I need to follow through.

I have been playing with AutoCAD Inventor and I'm sure solidworks has a similar feature where you can model the suspension and linkage and see how it moves. I would find a linkage I liked with a swingarm that was a good strong candidate and carefully measure the link points in CAD. Then transfer the whole schebang over to a Ninja and use CAD to get it right. With the shock mounted vertically, and lower, I bet it would fit right in. Plus the Ninja has those two beefy frame spars that would be perfect to weld the shock tower to. Try it by using a YZ450 and report back...

Nessmuk
Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #281
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
From this angle it looks great
Thanks! I had it loaded in the truck with the tank and seat on and stopped to look at it. It does appear to be looking better, hopefully it will start to come together with the tank done and I can start to work on the rally fairing.

Nessmuk
Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #282
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,366
Yeah well maybe if I told you how much I spent and how many hours I have worked on it maybe it would lose some luster I can honestly say it was probably not worth all this extra time. [/QUOTE]

That feeling will fade when you ride it
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #283
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,198
Sailah, just saying im keeping an eye on this beauty.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #284
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
Sailah, just saying im keeping an eye on this beauty.

Mikael, I'll trade you...

Nessmuk
Old 04-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #285
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Been awhile you were probably thinking I had abandoned the bike

Truth be told I have been working teaching classes during my free time and that has hemmed into bike time. Also needed to spend some bike time getting the FZ1 rebuilt for a spring trip to Laurel Fork, WV.

Anyways I'm back on the Ninja

Bought a carbon Scorpion exhaust can (seems just as well made as my arrows) but I needed to adapt from the 1.75" main tubing to slip fit in the Scorpion 2.125" inlet. Bought a bunch of SS tubing and they make an expansion joint you see on my crossfeed. The I had to turn down the 2.125 tubing I bought to slightly slip fit. Then welded the two parts together as the start to my exhaust system.

Also found a decent stock header that I bolted up

Ah the dong is back. Spend considerable time jacking around with this thing. I know have it precisely laid out in CAD and just working on some final details. I also had to bend the lower portion at 15 degrees so the pegs would lay flat. I will park this one up and predrill the holes on the waterjet out of thicker material. Plan is to run some struts underneath and weld them to a crossmember

This tank was a gigantic pain in the ass. I finally got it stitched back together, will def need to line it. I also need to weld in the tank bung

Then I went to fit it all together and the airbox needed to be modified. I machined up some brackets out of scrap billet aluminum that I will bolt to the air box then tap into to secure some aluminum cover plates. I left enough space on the lower for gasket. It should be sweet.

Bike as she currently sits

Lots more work to do but should be fun. I like doing things like exhaust and luggage hoops on the bender. I hate the dumb work like sheetmetal because I'm not very good it it and it takes me forever.

The nav tower might be a winter project depending on how things go. I would like to ride it this summer and knowing how I am progressing these days that might back me way up. It shouldn't be difficult to add that on at a later date and just run a Trail Tech X2 to get on the road.

Nessmuk