Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #196
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I don't pull over for "unmarked" cars. I will keep going until a marked vehicle appears. Which usually happens quickly.
The one time I was lit up by an un-marked car I did not pull over either. I dialed 911 (I was in my truck) and told them I was being lit up by an unmarked car and where I was and I wanted to verify that this car was actually a LEO before I stopped. Took them several minutes as the dispatcher I reached via 911 was not with the dept lighting me up. But they did verify it was indeed a LEO. I asked them to stay on the line to explain to the LEO that I wasn't trying to run or such silliness. I pulled over and cop started yelling about me not stopping sooner. I handed him the phone and told him it was dispatch. He calmed down PDQ after that. It all worked out and I didn't even get a ticket, as the reason I was lit up was because my truck matched the description of a truck suspected of a store robbery.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #197
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
The one time I was lit up by an un-marked car I did not pull over either. I dialed 911 (I was in my truck) and told them I was being lit up by an unmarked car and where I was and I wanted to verify that this car was actually a LEO before I stopped. Took them several minutes as the dispatcher I reached via 911 was not with the dept lighting me up. But they did verify it was indeed a LEO. I asked them to stay on the line to explain to the LEO that I wasn't trying to run or such silliness. I pulled over and cop started yelling about me not stopping sooner. I handed him the phone and told him it was dispatch. He calmed down PDQ after that. It all worked out and I didn't even get a ticket, as the reason I was lit up was because my truck matched the description of a truck suspected of a store robbery.
Try that now days and you would probably be shot before you could hit the 9 key.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #198
bv11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Where is this that they yell at possible robbery suspects for not stopping rather than getting them out of the vehicle at gunpoint?
bv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #199
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,834
Got a warning - somewhere around 75 in a 55

Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #200
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorat View Post
back in 1986 i got a $172 ticket for driving on a closed road.
they were doing road work and had about 150' of the road coned off. well i just rode through and the happy chp at the other end explained my error and was kind enough to give me an invatation to see the judicial process in action.
Yep, got one of those too in a small town, it was complete BS and the cop even told me so but said the mayor told them to "do something about it". I got out of it by going into court with a newspaper clipping of a house for rent off of a side street right there and told the judge I was looking for the address and didn't know where it was.

Also complete bullshit.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #201
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Here in the land of Ohio, where every municipality aggressively seeks revenue with over the top enforcement of traffic laws, it is quite easy once bitten to have the ticket reduced to a non point violation. All they really want is your money so they could care less what for. I have had 3 tickets, one in my car and 2 on my bike reduced by just calling the assistant DA in the town where the infraction happend and nicely ask if there is anything we can do. As long as you don't have outstanding warrants or an arms length record, they will cut you a deal, ususally a broken tail light or headlight ticket.

I liken it to paying the troll under the bridge so that you may cross it safely.

Rick G
One cold January day I drove to Ohio to visit a friend. I was on a back road just following along with traffic, when a cop comes the other way. Gut reaction was to step on the brake a little, since traffic as a whole was over the limit. I guess it was the combination of the front end dipping a little and the lack of a front plate, but the cops turned around when they could and pulled me over. I found out then that my license was suspended (Stupid Indiana) and I was arrested, car was searched and impounded, and while sitting in the back seat I heard one officer say to the other"What else can we charge him with?" Then one says to me "We don't think you had your seat belt on." I explained it was an automatic belt. ('90 something Thunderbird) they let that go but I still got locked up. I got bailed out, went to court, and lied to the judge about having insurance. I was given a proof of insurance form to fill out and return, which I did, using the policy that I had on my bike since the form didn't specify a vehicle.

Another set of tickets I didn't deserve, I was at a friend's house and left late one night. He lived on a 4 land road with a turn lane in the middle, so I backed out into the turn lane, checked for traffic behind me (at 2:00 AM?) and saw one set of headlights way off in the distance so I got going. I reached down to turn on the heat and in that second my left wheels were on the yellow. I went on down the road, made a right, made a left and was pulled over. I was given a breathalyzer twice, then handed four tickets. Two were for lights not working, (worded differently) one for driving in oncoming traffic, and one driving left of center. Stupidly I paid them and took 12 points on my license. Because of that I lost out on several good jobs I was qualified for but required me to drive.

Tuna Helper screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 07:45 AM
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #202
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Just how many stories do you think there are on the Interwebz that talk about 1.3 parsecs/min?
Ummm, one? Wait....are you insinuating that I wasn't "artful"? I guess it's a damn good thing I didn't try to take credit for the original story.

After I posted that, I wondered how many hard-core interwebz warriors would actually take the time to do the search....some of you guys have WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS!!!

I suppose this also means you already know MY name, home address, SS#, and have created 5 alternate persona using my personal credit history....
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #203
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
as a winter rider, I'm happy to read about this

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Man...j/-/index.html

DANBURY, N.H.

Danbury police said Robert Recio, 59, was driving on Route 4 with about 7 inches of snow covering all but a small portion of his windshield around 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Police said they followed Recio for more than a mile with their lights and siren before he noticed they were trying to pull him over. Authorities said he told them he was waiting to get to a gas station before brushing off his car.

Recio was charged with negligent driving, failure to display a license plate properly and failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.

Police said it is illegal to drive with snow covering a car and said it could be dangerous to other drivers.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Man...#ixzz2OTsZTumM
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #204
ULY-RPG
cool hands adv

Oddometer: 295
Years ago my friend and I were drag racing on the street. We totalled our cars at the end of the road we thought went straight, it didn't. Thankfully we were uninjured. The woman cop got there and asked "were you boys drag racing"? I replied "yes mam". She almost broke out in tears and carried on about how everyone at the department and even her kids lie to her. Then she said there were calls matching our vehicles' descriptions any way.

My ticket was Improper lane usage.
His ticket was failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident.
LESSON LEARNED.
ULY-RPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #205
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
as a winter rider, I'm happy to read about this

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Man...j/-/index.html
This, and that woman who was ticket for failure to keep right a week or so ago are giving me hope for some traffic enforcement.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #206
Road Program
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.O.T.D. View Post
Iv'e been hassled on a GS for standing up on the pegs. No ticket. Also got followed and pulled only to receive a lecture for "operating the motorcycle with one hand" I also ride sport bikes, but not as much anymore, and get a whole lot more shit when on a bright orange sport bike with full leathers. (understandably so with the squids but some occifers really need to relax)

Kinda long but worth it.......... A few years ago I had a roadside meeting on hwy 129 in N GA with the most angry officer I have ever had the pleasure to converse with. I was at the bottom of the mountain on hwy 129 (45 mph limit) going about 54mph sitting up with my left hand on my hip. He was hidden up a dirt road I guess about 70 yrds off the road. I never saw him, one of the guys I was riding with that was a little ways behind us did see him sitting there and he saw him pull out after me. I guess he saw me and was coming to ticket me when I got to the fun curvy part of the road. Still had no idea he was back there. I sped up the pace a good bit going up the mountain on the fun part of the road (yes I was speeding. and more so than at the bottom. guilty. but never left my lane, didn't crowd any cars and didn't pass on double yellow). Once I got to the top where my side of the road goes from two lanes to one there was a slow car so I tucked in behind and was going 35-40mph. This was probably 5 or 6 miles past where the cop saw me.

Was nice and relaxed when I heard the siren and in the rear view saw the cop come FLYING around the corner behind me. I was thinking, "Man whoever he's after is in deep shit!" Then he promptly introduced his right side rear view mirror to my left knee and was screaming and pointing at the side of the road. SHIT. I had no clue where he came from or what he saw (or didn't see) I knew it was go to jail time for sure and pulled right over and waited for my instructions. At this point I knew I had done wrong, got caught, and was about to pay the piper. He skidded to a stop in front of me and came flying out doing the hand on gun more screaming thing. His car's (crown vic) brakes were smoking like a chimney. Smoke coming through the grill and already a nice stream of strange green fluid was pouring out of the bottom of his car. OHHHHHH MAN he was pissed, helmet off, paperwork, license etc.... the whole time screaming at the top of his lungs and poking me in the chest with his finger and in the forehead with his bounty hat. I really thought he was going to hit me. I was trying to take it the best I could (yes sir, no sir) and about ten minutes into his rant he let go ".... and all I can cite you for is god-damned 9 over!!" I politely asked him to repeat that last part and he did with a red face. Yes sir! where do I sign?

So evidently by the book even if it was unintentional I was in fact "evading an officer" but because he never actually witnessed me take off and when he caught me I was going 35mph and pulled over immediately that was all I got. NEVER been so happy to get a speeding ticket!

He was still cussing like crazy when he went to his car and left, started it, turned it around (still leaking all over the road) and made it about 15 yards before we heard a loud, mechanical noise that sounded like a piston taking it's last breath. He was beating on his steering wheel when we decided it was time to leave him to it. I bet he got a HUGE chewing out when he arrived back at the station with his car on the wrecker and only a speeding ticket. He looked younger than me (31) and had one stripe on his sleeve. Too bad rookie!!
Ah, yes, Blood Mountain. The Dahlonega post highway patrol are not a friendly bunch...we've met.
Road Program is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #207
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I got pulled over a few years ago by Williamson County popo in Central Texas. They claimed they could not see my inspection to they pulled me over, after being behind me at a stop light. When they got me into the lot they saw the sticker and let that one go.

So I think they really pulled me over because I had a bike rack mounted to my 150CC scooter and had my mountain bike on board. Once they got me over and gave me the third degree for my inspection sticker, they started to tell me that state law prevented having anything attached to your vehicle that extends more than 4" wider than the left fender or 7" wider than the right fender. I proceded to tell them that I did not think that rule was applicable to motorcycles and pointed out that all his po-po equipment (Radar gun holster, panniers, and the massive Big Gulp cup holder) was much wider than the fenders on his bike (yeah this was moto cops!).

SO a couple of warnings. Learned that I need to keep that inspection sticker semi visible. Oh and that cops are not lawyers,
Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #208
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
... Oh and that cops are not lawyers,
Cops are not lawyers, but they can sure make it so you need one.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #209
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
they started to tell me that state law prevented having anything attached to your vehicle that extends more than 4" wider than the left fender or 7" wider than the right fender.
Snip

Could the officer explain which was the right fender and which was the left fender, my scooter only has a front and a rear!!????
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #210
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,023
Hell, my pickup mirrors are more than 7" from the fenders
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote