User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
enduros or harescrambles in Alaska?

With the Yukon Quest and Iron Dog races coming up, my mind's been thinking about the summer equivalent. Anybody know of any enduro's, harescrambles, or even hard dual sports in this great state? Its been a while since I bashed myself and my bike between some trees, long enough to forget how much it hurt, and I've been jonesing for some woods riding. I know there's a couple motocross tracks in the state, closest to me is in North Pole, but I always liked trails better.

If not... would anybody be interested in working to put an event together in the Fairbanks area?
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
I feel you Skierd. That type of riding is why I bought my XR in Missouri. Rode many places I probably shouldn't have on a bike that big. Atleast thats what the guys on 250 two smokes told me. I got to ride a few miles of the Show Me 200 route.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer: 368
I have also never heard of any organized enduro or HS events. Part of me wants to participate in such an event, but part of me thinks it'd be a cluster, and the experience would not touch freeriding in the backcountry. Always been curious about trail riding around FBKS. Never spent a summer there, only had a CB750 when i did live there. Is there a lot? Is it good? I got it good, sick sh*t right out of my front door. Come down and go riding. Maybe i'd do a Fairbanks run if i knew where the goods are.

Peace
Piston
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 933
I would like to explore the Chistochena trail this summer....not a race of any sort, but would e a lot of fun on the smaller bikes (thinking my WR450). Maybe we could organize a group ride some weekend. Take over the parking lot and make a weekend of it...?
AKmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Cool2 Trails Needed...

Hey Skierd... Thanks for bringing this up here on the forum. I'm also craving the awesome singletrack riding I left behind in Colorado. We played around on some of the ATV trails last year. Parrish-Dakar, Crash!!! and myself even did an overnight on the Fairbanks-Circle Historic trail but I've yet to find the proper singletrack I've been craving.

I ran into a guy out in Fox on a KTM-EXC and he said there are some trails out that way but I never got clued in to the whereabouts.... but then again, I just found out yesterday that we have an ice racing track out by the airport!

Time to order up those studs for the 800GS!
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

I've seen dozens of snowmachine and atv trails, but nothing I was comfortable trying out by myself on sumo wheels. There's bound to be single track out there. Or land where we can put some in with a little hatchet and chainsaw work. Might be worthwhile to start with an atlas and a GPS that accepts tracks and start exploring... Or start looking for options around the MX track on Badger Rd to extend it to a HS, if the Racing Lions are interested or able to be worked with.

As far as comparing to free riding... yes and no. I enjoyed riding trails a lot, but I enjoy competing (or more to reality, clogging the trail while others compete around me ). Sort of like going out boondocking on a snowmachine vs. racing a leg of the Iron Dog.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
Hey Skierd, there is a GPS and compatable atlas. But be forewarned. Delorme Gazateer are great altases and I love my Delorme GPS, there is a steep learning curve with the GPS. + side is the screen on the GPS looks just like the pages in Gazateer. I think I am mis spelling that.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 255
About 20+ years ago some trail guys put on a couple hare scrambles. Decent turnout, but as with many things up here there are a handful of guys that do all the work and they get tired of it.

I think with the amount of KTM's and Husqvarnas dedicated to trails, the trail riding population has grown quite a bit. That and people realize that there's more to off road than the MX track. Don't get me wrong, I love the MX track, but trails are just a different beast.

I'm happy to keep my ear to the ground for you. I try and point all new trail guys to this site to try and form a "group" of sorts. If you can't have an organized race, at least ride with some friends.

Up north, Fairbanks/North Pole/Delta Junction/Toke, that's some of the best riding in the state, if not THE best riding in the state.
Facebook! facebook.com/themotorcycleshopak
Brendon@TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
phplemel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I know it's a little far to travel but if you're traveling thru Whitehorse Aug 17th or Sept 22 our local club YCCMA is hosting harescrambles on those days. Awesome course, with infield endurocross obstacles and great single trackin the woods around it. The races are at a m/c specific built area, but there are miles & miles of singe track locally. PM me if you are coming thru in the summer & I'll hook you up with riding partners
Pat
phplemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Briggs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I was wondering if there were any enduros or HS up there. I'd even considered trying to find a place up there to put on an Extreme Enduro. My daughter and grandkids just moved to Fairbanks last week. Sounds like 2 of my 3 basic needs would be met if I came up there....1) Places to ride 2) Family 3) Now, I just need to find a job up there.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
Katoomer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
I would like to explore the Chistochena trail this summer....not a race of any sort, but would e a lot of fun on the smaller bikes (thinking my WR450). Maybe we could organize a group ride some weekend. Take over the parking lot and make a weekend of it...?
Hey AK Mud! Chistochenna trail sounds like a blast! Its been a few years since I've explored that area and I've been wanting to check it out again. Nebezna is another intriguing DS ride I've been wanting to do. The last time I had the orange beast out was Eagle Trail near Tok.....another awesome place for long legged DS mounts. Keep me posted...I'm in!

Katoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #12
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 933
You got it KT! Marbee and I will be doing some exploring on the 450s this summer for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomer View Post
Hey AK Mud! Chistochenna trail sounds like a blast! Its been a few years since I've explored that area and I've been wanting to check it out again. Nebezna is another intriguing DS ride I've been wanting to do. The last time I had the orange beast out was Eagle Trail near Tok.....another awesome place for long legged DS mounts. Keep me posted...I'm in!

AKmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
BertD07
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Just found this post when googling "enduro events alaska". I'd love to meet up with you guys for some riding. I'm fairly new to Alaska having just moved here a little over two years ago. I've mainly ridden the Knik River area (Jims Creek) and B52 crash site (barely), but would love to ride new areas. I'm located in the Eagle River area but willing to drive anywhere for some good riding...even Fairbanks. I'll keep in touch and hopefully we'll all get together for some riding! Anyone try riding the mountains (hills) off of Petersville Rd? Too swampy? I've been looking at giving that a go as the weather after break up...
BertD07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Question Dual Sport Rides

I have been hoping for years that one or more of the dealers would organize a "Dual Sport Ride".
I have read of them outside and it sounds like fun.
Would be a great sales tool for the dealers I think.
Start at one dealer, follow a map and/or each other, riding fun roads paved and dirt with some trails thrown in if possible before ending at another dealership.

Well, I can dream....
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

That could definitely be one way to get things started, and pull from a larger group to get things organized and trails put through where necessary. I'm up for exploring and trying, once I can afford to change my WR back to dirt wheels and tires.