Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Good luck fishing. Take lots of photos.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #242
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Not sure about independance, but Stahlrate has liquore for a reasonable cost I think.

Hell with how much you guys have you can start serving / selling drinks and make some quick cash... provided everybody isn't sea sick. Pick up gravel too!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #243
ALONETIME
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Awesome!

Much props to you two for what sounds like a kick-ass ride! Joined this forum just to follow your trip.

Question: what seats are you guys using? Like them?

Stay safe friends!
ALONETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #244
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 319
Looking forward to the next bit...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #245
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Good luck fishing. Take lots of photos.
Epic fail on the fishing! I think you have to be borderline retarded to not catch anything in this area and we didn't catch squat. I'm going to stick with riding bikes
Romanousky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #246
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Not sure about independance, but Stahlrate has liquore for a reasonable cost I think.

Hell with how much you guys have you can start serving / selling drinks and make some quick cash... provided everybody isn't sea sick. Pick up gravel too!
The Independence does in fact sell liquor and beer at reasonable prices...good thing because we were dry after the first 2 nights.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #247
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALONETIME View Post
Much props to you two for what sounds like a kick-ass ride! Joined this forum just to follow your trip.

Question: what seats are you guys using? Like them?

Stay safe friends!
Glad to have a new member along for the ride! Anticipate spending a ton of "research" time on here

My seat was custom made by Don @ Ed's Moto in Albany, Or. He does fantastic work and I am quite happy with it. Having that said, there is only so much you can do with 2 inches of foam. The 400 mile days are still not anticipated.

Al has the Corbin....good but I think mine is definitely better.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #248
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Looking forward to the next bit...
It is going to be another day or 2. Sitting in a hotel in Cartagena. Bikes are still on the boat. It is a holiday and customs is closed. Our captain pulled a bunch of strings to get immigration to stamp passports so we could atleast be on land. Can't say as much for all the other poor bastards in the harbor just waiting....even a cruise ship to boot!

Get back to work Greg!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #249
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Laugh You made it!

Awesome man, look forward for the next installment
PDX Alamo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #250
Beairmo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Internet connection

I am really impressed and surprised that you are able to keep this thread up to date while traveling in so many different locations.

Has it been easy to find a wireless internet connection?

Are you using just WIFI?

Love the thread and look forward to hearing more about your adventures. I'm JEALOUS!!!

"If your going through hell...keep going!
(Winston Churchill)
Beairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #251
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beairmo View Post
I am really impressed and surprised that you are able to keep this thread up to date while traveling in so many different locations.

Are you using just WIFI?

Love the thread and look forward to hearing more about your adventures. I'm JEALOUS!!!
Wireless is available in more locations than in the US and Canada. They don't have many land lines so wireless and cell phones are everywhere.

The bigger problem is speed. Otherwise most restaurants (no matter how small), town squares, coffee shops, stores, public areas, etc mostly have WIFI.

It's like comparing Africa to Canada / US. They have more, and better coverage in a country that is varied in "developement". It's cheaper to put in cell towers than land lines. Hence why they are so much further ahead.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #252
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beairmo View Post

Are you using just WIFI?

Exactly what shibby said! Wifi is literally everywhere. Speed is an issue. I try to keep a daily journal of the goings on but can really only update photos every 3-4 days. That is why the posts are spread out. It is a bit of a chore but keeps me away from the bar....unfortunately I miss happy hour most of the time.

Spent 10 hours in customs today so progress has been nil! Shizer!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #253
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

So today we leave Panama City and head for the boat. Communication with the Independence has been very poor at best so we were quite surprised how easy it was to find. Drove out of PC, paid a couple of tolls, jumped on the highway and headed towards the Darien. Probably 40 miles out of PC there was a sign pointing towards Carti.

This road has steep climbs that would drop off the backside giving your stomach the weightless feeling like riding a rollercoaster. The problem is hitting them with any speed is difficult to say the least because of potential washouts and sharp corners looming on the other side.

I didn't grab a photo but after diving down around one corner and hammering up a steep curving incline all of a sudden there is a dump truck and a backhoe in the center of the road blocking the entire thing. I'll I could do was slam on the breaks and come within a few feet of the blockade. Then with front and rear brakes locked up it wasn't enough to stop the dizzer loaded down with liquid encouragement......slid down backwards until it got squirrely and dumped the bike. Guy the backhoe just shrugs and smiles.

About 20 miles into this road you meet your first Kuna Indians charging $10 to get into their property plus $5 per vehicle. They know you are headed for a boat to Colombia so your negotiating power is quite slim….actually none at all. Even for being nice.....I let him sit on my bike.

Then you reach a military checkpoint that just looks at your passport. And yells at you for taking a photo of this highly classified super secret building...

About 100 yards passed this there is a gravel road to the right that will take you down to a river.

Here you fork out another $20 for these guys to load your bike and drive you out to the Independence. We showed up just in time to meet Micah who is traveling from LA on his KLR. This process is fairly easy but I can’t imagine doing it with a liter bike or larger.

While he took his bike out we prepared with a heavy coating of bearing grease to the chains and a good lathering of WD-40 on engine and other exposed potential corrosion spots.

Made it to the boat without any hiccups and then Mee-Shell came down to tie the ropes. He looks like one seriously weathered sailor that probably isn’t going to be taking shit from anybody. Most reviews I have seen commented on how questionable the ropes are. My experience; they are slightly worn but these are serious double braided marine ropes with nylon & polyester cores….they are fine. Bikes went up into the vessel without a hitch.

Dropped our gear into the Saloon area and then Michel called for a water taxi to bring us to a Hostel on the island next to the boat. An hour later the owner of the hostel showed up and drove us ashore. Nothing but crystal clear water so when you roll up to the dock you get to see all the interesting artifacts on the bottom (brooms, old engines, beer cans, trash, trash, and more trash). Watch your step because the dock is very questionable (not sturdy). Our accommodations were on the top floor of the green high rise. Not great but really F*cking hot/humid.

On the far right of the island:

The boat driver and owner of the hostel getting down on some of our rum:

Walked around town (probably a 100 meter diameter circle of sand filled with huts with small alleyways for walking and plenty of docks with real dugout canoes). Really a neat little place. The only restaurant didn’t have a menu but served chicken, beef, and “wait just a second, HEY (to the guy on the dock), did you catch any fish, YEP”, and yes we have fish”. Great I’ll take the chicken! The chicken was old and not really edible but the rice was pretty good…and the beer was cheap.

The AssWadDub....because that makes sense:

I man who made an oar while we ate:

Back at the hostel I drank rum and tried to “fall asleep” in the hammock but the heat wouldn't allow. Laid in bed but my pillow packed absolutely full of synthetic cotton and wouldn't compress a bit….I had fits with it all night. And the owner slept right next door to us a snored like a SOB. Perfect, no sleep for the first night on the boat.

Ocean view from our room:

And the incompressible culprit:

And a description of our vessel on the wall:

I'm holding them to this one!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #254
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 252
This is awesome great work guys
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #255
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksIT View Post
This is awesome great work guys
Thank you sir. It is great! Riding, drinking, travelling, without a care in the world. Love it